PIREPs on Diamond DA40?

FlyGirlKHWO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyGirl
May start flying one soon, interested in input on performance, drawbacks and/or quirks!

thanks

A

I flew in one for the first time for about an hour a couple of weeks ago. I was a passenger. It is a very slick (in more ways than one) little plane. I am a bigger than average guy and the PIC for that flight was about FAA standard seemed like it took a long time to get off the runway.

I am not used to all the fancy stuff as I have been flying a 70+ year old tail dragger mostly the last year or so but it seems with the Autopilot and the G1000 to be a very capable plane. I am sure others with real time in the airplane will chime in soon.

Aviation Consumer just happened to review just that July, 2017 issue.

Nice planes, fast and efficient, wish I could afford one. Docile stalls. Stall horn comes on early. Slippery so be on speed when landing. Great visibility but it can get hot under the canopy. Have fun!

Which flavor of DA40 are you looking for? If it's the older DA-40 180 I think Phillip Greenspun has a long review on it if you google it.

I personally love them.

Nice planes, fast and efficient, wish I could afford one. Docile stalls. Stall horn comes on early. Slippery so be on speed when landing. Great visibility but it can get hot under the canopy. Have fun!

Yep, rotation speed is 57kias and the stall horn blurps every time. With PAX I rotate at about 65 and let the plane lift off on its own.

I love the DA-40. My experience has all been in the 180 version. The useful load can be limited especially with long-range tanks and not having the gross weight increase performed (http://support.diamond-air.at/filea...ce_Bulletins/SB40-057-O-r2-1200kg-TO-Mass.pdf). The long wings require you to exercise more care in crosswind landings and turbulence. Flying characteristics are great as it is an agile aircraft with docile stall behavior. If you find one with a Powerflow exhaust and an upgraded prop, you will see around 130-140 kts TAS.

Here's a great resource for folks flying Diamonds: https://diamondaviators.net/

Nice bird. Pax love the modern look and the rear door. However, you either fit in it or you don't. There isn't much ability to adjust you your size.

The 2 blade composite scimitar prop gives the fastest cruise. Even without the PowerFlow it seemed to outrun one with the 3 blade composite scimitar and PowerFlow.

Some examples are kind of tail heavy so watch the CG if you have people in the backseat.

If the one you want to fly has the extended baggage option then make sure your CFI shows you both the hidden under floor storage compartment and the hidden rear bulkhead compartment.

The tow bar is a royal pain. I've grown to hate it.

Back