6Y9 Fly In 2017

Don't you dare say anything about the weather, and we have a pool going to see if you remember me and Jeannette this year. LOL

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I didn't even dare to THINK the 'w' word... ;) Looking forward to see you guys again - and thank you for the reminder of our really bad memory... :lol:

Where will the fly-in be located?

:D

OK - here is a hint. The identifier start with a 6 and ends with a 9. Located in Northern Michigan. ;)

Some take offs and landing from the last year's fly-in:

Last edited:
Michigan - Upper Peninsula... :D 6Y9 = Prickett-Grooms Field / Sidnaw.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the videos Oliver!!! Just a little over 6 months till the next fly in!:)

We've already booked our cabin! I think the other one is taken too. We are SO looking forward to it!

Glad to see that many are getting ready.
We were up there last weekend and I was walking around our cabins yard on a foot of frozen hardpack snow.
It has melted off most of the runway but is very wet /soupy. As normal it will not be opened until May 15th. The first of June on it should be good to go.
I'm looking into tiling the east end this year to drain it better ,we'll see what happens.
I'll let everyone know when it's ready to go.
Brad

Amazing that I know or have met at least 6 people who have attended this flyin - including 1 who is based on my field. Me thinks I should go unless we go to the GC instead.

You could plan the UP / 6Y9 as your last major :D stop coming back from Arizona before flying home to Ohio.

Amazing that I know or have met at least 6 people who have attended this flyin - including 1 who is based on my field. Me thinks I should go unless we go to the GC instead.
You absolutely should plan to go!!!!! Plan for the whole event though. While the fly-in is top shelf the trip to Hoppies Sat evening and all the friends hanging out in the pilots lounge make it more fun than anyone should be allowed to have.

Last edited:
Hope that Tim W. brings squeeky cheese again... :)

Need to work on getting a plane for this! Mike got BasicMed, so we're moving the Cherokee back to its home up north.

I'm out until I get the IR. No way am I flying VFR at night over northern Michigan. Can't get off Friday until late, so have to fly in darkness.

That was one brave Mooney pilot in that video. I'm not bringing mine into 6Y9. Regards to its people, but it'll take someone braver/more skillful than I. One prop strike is more than enough for me.

I'm out until I get the IR. No way am I flying VFR at night over northern Michigan. Can't get off Friday until late, so have to fly in darkness.

That was one brave Mooney pilot in that video. I'm not bringing mine into 6Y9. Regards to its people, but it'll take someone braver/more skillful than I. One prop strike is more than enough for me.
Michael, just fly into Land of Lakes, we will come get you.

Has anyone heard from Tim Winters about this gathering? I know it is one of his favorites. Is he planning on attending or has he deserted POA forever? He hasn't been on line for months. Just asking.

We have always offered a pick up/drop off at LNL for those not comfortable coming in to 6Y9. And some who have been in and out of 6Y9 many times, still have gone into LNL for other reasons, so Michael...see if that option works.
Pics from 2015 &16 are finally on the website as is the attendee list for this year.
Looking forward to another great fly in...hope to see many "repeaters" and newbies. And for those who keep promising but never show, well, you know who you are....

We have always offered a pick up/drop off at LNL for those not comfortable coming in to 6Y9. And some who have been in and out of 6Y9 many times, still have gone into LNL for other reasons, so Michael...see if that option works.
Pics from 2015 &16 are finally on the website as is the attendee list for this year.
Looking forward to another great fly in...hope to see many "repeaters" and newbies. And for those who keep promising but never show, well, you know who you are....
Yeah, we do... :(

I've stopped promising because now that fall semester starts before Labor Day, there is no way I can afford the time away that weekend. I still hope I can someday make it sometime during the summer (some year we don't have nonstop rain and storms all summer), but I'll probably never be able to make the Big Event until after I retire... which probably won't be for as long as I'm around and kickin'.

This made me laugh....I wasn't referring to you because I know you can't "legitimately" make it...and now you are even farther away!
I was referring to some "others" who "clearly" should "know" who they are! :):D:):D
But I thank you for the chuckle!!!
Speaking of rain....we have had so much rain that we couldn't even fly in the last time. There was standing water everywhere... but that issue has been fixed. Yay.

Yeah, we do... :(

I've stopped promising because now that fall semester starts before Labor Day, there is no way I can afford the time away that weekend. I still hope I can someday make it sometime during the summer (some year we don't have nonstop rain and storms all summer), but I'll probably never be able to make the Big Event until after I retire... which probably won't be for as long as I'm around and kickin'.

Liz,

Well, lets hope you're around and kicking for a long time. Michigan weather is subject to the whims of the weather gods and we just hat to put up with their offerings of the day. Rain, sunshine, clouds or other tomorrow always comes. Youpers may have other ideas than us trolls who live under the bridge. Native Oakland County guy here. I've learned to live with the changes. Chili today, Hot Tamale is not unexpected. but not always welcome in either case. It's like a restaurant I once had breakfast with some Waterford cops on a regular basis. We called the place the "Take what you get and like it cafe".

Partly said in jest, but I understand your reluctance to challenge the weather in the area. It is, thanks to the big ponds, subject to quick change.

Thanks Norm. Though I was also talking about the weather HERE in Vermont. It's been absolutely horrible all summer and I haven't flown in 2 weeks - been hiking the very few dry days we've had. It's not just rain or drizzle but lines of strong storms. It isn't just the big ponds that make weather - I think this stuff is due to upper air patterns. You are probably seeing very similar weather.

Well, we may be driving it; we'll see. @mikea has the Cherokee back! Hopefully he'll fly it in. We may get checked out again in the 182, or perhaps the G1000 172. Those are the only "trip" planes available, unless we get checked out at a new outfit, which O don't foresee, or buy our own plane, which I definitely don't foresee. And I'm not holding my breath on the 172 being available.

Well, we may be driving it; we'll see. @mikea has the Cherokee back! Hopefully he'll fly it in. We may get checked out again in the 182, or perhaps the G1000 172. Those are the only "trip" planes available, unless we get checked out at a new outfit, which O don't foresee, or buy our own plane, which I definitely don't foresee. And I'm not holding my breath on the 172 being available.
And no, I don't think we'll fly it in with Mike. 900lbs plus fuel ain't happening on a relatively short grass field, even in a Cherokee 235.

Thirty one days till the fly in....29 days till the first arrivals....jus' sayin'.

iu

I want to attend this. Ed has sent me a series of texts giving me crap about how I have no excuse.
In the event that there is beautiful VFR conditions forecast, I will give it a go.

If not, there is this crazy, lawyer, Bonanza pilot in my area. Maybe he will let me hitch a ride.

I want to attend this. Ed has sent me a series of texts giving me crap about how I have no excuse.
In the event that there is beautiful VFR conditions forecast, I will give it a go.

If not, there is this crazy, lawyer, Bonanza pilot in my area. Maybe he will let me hitch a ride.
There's VFR and then there is UP VFR....UP VFR is not quite as permissive as Wyoming VFR but it does give quite a bit of latitude.

Anyway, if you've got the cash we can get to 6Y9. I know the way...

There's VFR and then there is UP VFR....UP VFR is not quite as permissive as Wyoming VFR but it does give quite a bit of latitude.

Anyway, if you've got the cash we can get to 6Y9. I know the way...
Oh, and this might go for the lawyer dude....maybe...

Back