Better way to hit the dirt

JonH

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JonH
Picked up a WR250R this weekend. Should I put 100LL in it? Nothing like a $250 auth to buy 1.5 gallons lol.

Happy Holiday/4th dudes and dudettes. I'd say be safe but.. yeah.. We got formation flights over houses and seaplanes trying to murder children out there.

Attachments

• IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 94
Looks great! And you got it just in time as I understand that Yamaha has discontinued the WR250R beyond this year. Great bike and lots of aftermarket support!

I use some 100LL in my Yamaha 660 ATV. It seems to start easier using this. Fires up as soon as you hit the button. I don't believe it turns over two times before its running. Even in cold weather. I don't fill it with 100ll just add what I sump from my airplane each time I go fly.

Putting higher octane gas in a vehicle than what the vehicle requires is a waste of money. Octane is just an anti-knock rating. If the engine doesn't knock with lower octane then higher octane does nothing. The only exception would be modern engines with knock sensors which will retard the timing to prevent knock so you will lose a little performance if using too low an octane fuel. People that believe that their vehicle runs better with higher octane than what the manufacturer recommends are falling victim to the placebo effect. Higher octane is not better or have more energy. Use the minimum octane recommended by the manufacturer.

Right on, technically higher octane burns slower. But, it would be fun to pull up to the pump and fill up at least once :)

100LL still has lead. Hence I question it's desirablity if not needed.

As an aside, my KTM 950 Adventure going to a new owner recently:

34483671735_260d91fc13.jpg

And what I traded up to:

34146124983_7055fbb581.jpg

And having a blast with it.

For those questioning my sanity, at 67 the KTM was just getting to be too much to handle - my strength and balance are not what they were even 10 years ago. The little TW200 is just so much easier to handle and harkens back to the first bikes I rode over 50 years ago!

Very nice, congrats on the new bikes.

In the spirit of motorcycles and buying stuff for them....can anyone point me in the direction of buying new plastics for a PC800? The tupperware is slowly starting to crack and break...new pieces are needed.

For those questioning my sanity, at 67 the KTM was just getting to be too much to handle - my strength and balance are not what they were even 10 years ago. The little TW200 is just so much easier to handle and harkens back to the first bikes I rode over 50 years ago!

It's amazing what these small bikes can do. I ditched a DR650SE for this WR250R and I'm not missing the 650 at all. The 250 is also fuel injected with really low maintenance schedule.

My procedure is to run in some 100LL just before & during storage, much better than even no-ethanol auto fuel. The newer street bikes have a catalytic converter, if so I don't store with the 100LL.

Since you are in CA, may not have any longer storage periods.

It's amazing what these small bikes can do. I ditched a DR650SE for this WR250R and I'm not missing the 650 at all. The 250 is also fuel injected with really low maintenance schedule.

True. I rode a Suzuki DRZ400 for a while....previous bike was an old XL500. The Zuke was just that much smaller and narrower, and probably made more power than the relic XL!

Speaking of relics...

8754931358_ccc5a35fe4.jpg

Sometimes less is more!

Aviation-related content: to the best of my recollection, this was taken in Amelia Earhart Park, just south of Opa Locka Airport, probably in the mid-80's.

Putting higher octane gas in a vehicle than what the vehicle requires is a waste of money. Octane is just an anti-knock rating. If the engine doesn't knock with lower octane then higher octane does nothing. The only exception would be modern engines with knock sensors which will retard the timing to prevent knock so you will lose a little performance if using too low an octane fuel. People that believe that their vehicle runs better with higher octane than what the manufacturer recommends are falling victim to the placebo effect. Higher octane is not better or have more energy. Use the minimum octane recommended by the manufacturer.

True, but only part of the story, particularly back in the 2-stroke days of motocross. Although a 125/250/500 two-stroke would run fine on 91 pump, running race gas resulted in a much crisper throttle response, less gummy power valves/exhaust, and consistency from race to race. It was the same from batch to batch so you could run on the edge of detonation, and it was MTBE/ethanol free. One of the issues with the additives is that some don't mix with synthetic premix oil. The net result for me was a 4-ride old CR250 that melted the piston in 5th gear on a start. We found out that the oxygenates had settled out between motos, leaving the bike to run on straight ethanol with only residual oil until most of the way down the start straight at which time the cylinder and piston decided to become one. One solution was to run castor instead of synthetic and mix frequently. The other was to run race gas, which at that time was about 4.00/gallon.

Never ran pump gas again until the four strokes took over. If I was still riding I'd be running one of VP's blends for stock bikes.

Avgas has long been a hotly contested topic for motorcycles. Some swear by it. My experience was horrible. It was through a friend's 93 CR125. No matter what we did with jetting, etc it would foul plugs and had a weird bog with Avgas. We switched to pump gas and it ran fine.

Get the Racetech gold valves and a Seat Concepts seat, and some Barkbusters, and you'll be all set.

In the spirit of motorcycles and buying stuff for them....can anyone point me in the direction of buying new plastics for a PC800? The tupperware is slowly starting to crack and break...new pieces are needed.

Another Coaster?

Indeed....its a cult.

But dammin if its not impossible to find replacement plastics...
That's what y'all get for buying plastic motorbikes. ;)
Bikes from the 80s rule!

That's what y'all get for buying plastic motorbikes. ;)
Bikes from the 80s rule!

You clearly have never seen a PC, ehh? It's about as 80's as Maverick, Goose, and Iceman!

You clearly have never seen a PC, ehh? It's about as 80's as Maverick, Goose, and Iceman!
....and that, sir or madam, was exactly my point. '80s rule for LACK of plastic :rolleyes:.
I know full well what a PC is - it's that Honda "motorcycle" meant to appeal to the scooter crowd, but w more luggage space.

....and that, sir or madam, was exactly my point. '80s rule for LACK of plastic :rolleyes:.
I know full well what a PC is - it's that Honda "motorcycle" meant to appeal to the scooter crowd, but w more luggage space.
I call it my grocery-getter....another way to describe it is.....its the result of letting automotive engineers and designers design a motorcycle. Either way, the bike itself is solid...but the plasitcs are 20 years old and cracking...ebay doesn't give a good alternative. I've tried searching for replacement plastics, but all those re-pop sites only offer sport bike plastics.

Speaking of relics...

8754931358_ccc5a35fe4.jpg

Sometimes less is more!

Aviation-related content: to the best of my recollection, this was taken in Amelia Earhart Park, just south of Opa Locka Airport, probably in the mid-80's.

My older brother had one, not in NEARLY as good of shape as that one is! His was way more faded and junky. Still fast, but she had definitely been abused for a number of years.

Picked up a WR250R this weekend. Should I put 100LL in it? Nothing like a $250 auth to buy 1.5 gallons lol.

Happy Holiday/4th dudes and dudettes. I'd say be safe but.. yeah.. We got formation flights over houses and seaplanes trying to murder children out there.

I don't know what kind of riding you're planning on doing, but a big bore kit is nice too.

I have tried a 2mm overbore in my YZ250F (262 cc), and now I'm running a 290 kit. Both woke it up a nice bit.

Nothing like stock reliability though... I just replaced my stock piston this year on my 2009 YZ250F.

I friggin love this thing. I'm into short rides, rocky hills. It's still in the break-in period so I don't exactly baby it, but I don't beat on it either.

The rear-view mirrors are so ugly, but man you can see everything and pick up HBO.

Here it is in Ramona. I fly to Ramona a lot, I had no idea how hard driving there was!!

top.JPG

this was my first....
not an actual pic of mine, but exactly like it. Bent forks and all lol.

8 years old when me and my brother both got one for Christmas.
man we gave them an asswhoopin'

We lived on a farm so we rode them like madmen. Built ramps, etc... you all know. you lived the dream too.

Hit a big rock one day, and I swear, some how, some way, I ended up inverted (just me not the bike) touching nothing in any way, other than upside down with my left shoulder on the foot peg and magically balanced like that at least 50 feet before crashing.

If I could pull that off on purpose I'd probably win the X games.

Nice.
A lot of guys are ggoing to the WE and other small bikes. They seem to like 'em a lot.

I'm still on my old XR650. It's a great bike for the country I live in.

Back