Phone in Flight

My phone bluetooth's to the audio panel too, but once I get out of the pattern and a little altitude, I am not able to receive or make calls. My phone will ring but when I answer I am not able to hear or talk to the caller. Can you make calls in flight? Text messages work but I have not had any success making calls. I still like being able to make calls through my audio panel while still on the ground before takeoff.
If you fly low enough to the ground it works fine. 500' is normally the highest altitude I achieve.

There are very limited circumstances where I'll use the phone in flight. Guaranteed they are not at critical phases of flight.

I wonder if anyone here as ever tried Google Maps in the air."

No, but years ago, before aviation portables were around/cost less than a car and panel mounts were very rare in rentals, I used a TomTom automotive GPS. It had a setting with a homing pointer. Made it sort of a satellite ADF overlayed on a moving map.

I use my Samsung Galaxy S5 running Avare when I am actually going somewhere I don't know exactly where it is or trying to make sure I stay out of controlled or restricted airspace(neither happens often).

I have Avare on my phone but I keep forgetting to try it during a flight. I have a Google Pixel phone with a 5.5" screen so it would probably work fairly well with that size screen. Every plane I fly has moving map GPS and I always carry a paper sectional as a backup, but I really need to give the phone a try to see if it'll make a decent backup.

How do you attach it to the seat?

There is a map pocket on the back of the front seat. I have a phone holder\protector that I can clip on my belt, which I never use. I put my phone in the side with the clip (which is not where it is supposed to go) and clip it to the front seat.
Works great.

Back