My turn for a new plane post

jheyen

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
heyen
My new to me Bonanza A36 is finally back at the hangar. What started off last year turned into an opportunity that I couldn't imagine would happen.

I've had my pilots license for a little over two years now and immediately saw the utility of flying myself places. Thus started the inevitable new pilot plane shopping!

With a wife and two kids with me on the typical family mission, the trick was to find something that would handle four of us and bags. Then the wife says "what if they want to take a friend" which bounced the search to the six place planes.

After much research I'd pretty much settled on a piper 6/260 or 6/300. Seemed to check all the boxes and was an easy transition from the piper archer that I was flying a lot.

I had read a book about buying airplanes that suggested starting locally first. So I used the FAA database and sent letters out to all the six place planes at my local airport asking their interest in partnering. I got a few responses with most saying that they would be happy to help me but that they use their plane too much for a partner.

However, one gentlemen called back saying that he had a Bonanza A36 that he'd love for me to fly because it doesn't get flown like it should since he lost his medical.

After getting through the insurance requirements and transition training I had a plane to fly that fit the mission and was a good test case to see if this plane would work.

Needless to say the comfort in the front and back for my family combined with the speed made it a very desirable airplane. We were hooked.

Fast forward to a couple months ago when he said he was finally ready to sell. He was shopping it around and negotiating with me at the same time. We agreed on a price, which I think was attributed to him knowing it was staying local and going to a family. All in all it was a very slow paced easy process.

I've just recently picked up the plane from the annual I had completed when I purchased it. I took it to an ABS expert to make sure that everything checked out and besides the need for a prop overhaul, everything else came out great. The prop overhaul did take about 3 weeks so it sucked not having access and having to use the flying club planes when I new I was so close to using my own.

I am already excited about family trips and some business use. It's definitely a one of a kind feeling to fly your own plane and have it at your disposal.

The inevitable ADSB install will be the first upgrade item. Waiting for some more price competition hopefully.

Pictures are attached below for confirmation of the purchase, enjoy.

IMG_3691.JPG IMG_3996.JPG IMG_3338.JPG IMG_3336.JPG

Beech A-36 has always been a plane I would like to own. My uncle had one before he purchased his PC-12. Loved the way it handled. Congratulations on your new purchase....:) Beech in my opinion builds a very good product.

Beautiful plane that is awesome

Nice! Plenty of getaways from central IL to fly to. Up North you have Mackinac Island, then down towards the Gulf coast, and all points in between.

Congratulations, nice bird!

Great story and nice to hear the plane is back in the air more frequently, where it belongs.
Enjoy!

Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Very nice! Congratulations.

I think the 36 series Bonanzas are one to most beautiful single-engine airplanes ever made. They fly great too.

Congrats!

Beautiful aircraft, welcome to the world of ownership. Nothing beats opening the hangar door and there sits your ride exactly how you left it. Be proactive with preventative maintenance and she will treat you right.

That's terrific. Congratulations. May you have many great family experiences using it.

My new to me Bonanza A36 is finally back at the hangar. What started off last year turned into an opportunity that I couldn't imagine would happen.

I've had my pilots license for a little over two years now and immediately saw the utility of flying myself places. Thus started the inevitable new pilot plane shopping!

With a wife and two kids with me on the typical family mission, the trick was to find something that would handle four of us and bags. Then the wife says "what if they want to take a friend" which bounced the search to the six place planes.

After much research I'd pretty much settled on a piper 6/260 or 6/300. Seemed to check all the boxes and was an easy transition from the piper archer that I was flying a lot.

I had read a book about buying airplanes that suggested starting locally first. So I used the FAA database and sent letters out to all the six place planes at my local airport asking their interest in partnering. I got a few responses with most saying that they would be happy to help me but that they use their plane too much for a partner.

However, one gentlemen called back saying that he had a Bonanza A36 that he'd love for me to fly because it doesn't get flown like it should since he lost his medical.

After getting through the insurance requirements and transition training I had a plane to fly that fit the mission and was a good test case to see if this plane would work.

Needless to say the comfort in the front and back for my family combined with the speed made it a very desirable airplane. We were hooked.

Fast forward to a couple months ago when he said he was finally ready to sell. He was shopping it around and negotiating with me at the same time. We agreed on a price, which I think was attributed to him knowing it was staying local and going to a family. All in all it was a very slow paced easy process.

I've just recently picked up the plane from the annual I had completed when I purchased it. I took it to an ABS expert to make sure that everything checked out and besides the need for a prop overhaul, everything else came out great. The prop overhaul did take about 3 weeks so it sucked not having access and having to use the flying club planes when I new I was so close to using my own.

I am already excited about family trips and some business use. It's definitely a one of a kind feeling to fly your own plane and have it at your disposal.

The inevitable ADSB install will be the first upgrade item. Waiting for some more price competition hopefully.

Pictures are attached below for confirmation of the purchase, enjoy.

View attachment 54578 View attachment 54579 View attachment 54580 View attachment 54581
Congrats!!! Great plane!!

I sure would love to upgrade to a 36 from my Sierra one day. Nice looking plane, enjoy!

Back