recovering from inverted flight

Going inverted would require a 31 degree increase in bank angle (even then 91 degrees isn't what I'd call inverted, I suppose technically it is). Are you really worried a wind gust (outside of wake turbulence) is going to bank your wings 31 degrees before you stop it?
The chances of that happening without me stopping it is pretty slim, but just wondering if i do get inverted, how to get out of the mess. I will get some acro training once I get my PPL

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Never try to recover while the airplane is in a bank.
I live by the "wings level first" rule, and managed to pass a number of upset recovery scenarious, including under hood. That said, in several instances I produced a noticeable phugoid after leveling, and at times airplane pointed down at extreme angle (and accelerated). I really suspect that I would attain better results by doing everything smoothly together, instead of in sequence "wings level - stop rotations - pull up while observing limitations". Sadly, I cannot attempt such integration without aerobatic training. Are you saying it's impossible and even fighter pilots recover in steps?

If you have the chance, do sign up for unusual attitude / emergency maneuvers training; you won't regret it. Rich Stowell has an excellent program. Becoming comfortable recovering from various spins and other attitudes is invaluable.

Although I can say that after flying inverted for several minutes, the harness straps become somewhat of a (necessary) annoyance.

zait,
I start off with people doing aileron rolls by leaving a second between nose up, relax back pressure for floating butt, input right or left stick, center stick when done then raise the nose. All that blends into one continuous gentle stick movement when the person can recognize and understand the separate steps. Trying to go straight to a single continuous movement from the start is often way to much to digest at the beginning.

If you have the chance, do sign up for unusual attitude / emergency maneuvers training; you won't regret it. Rich Stowell has an excellent program. Becoming comfortable recovering from various spins and other attitudes is invaluable.

Although I can say that after flying inverted for several minutes, the harness straps become somewhat of a (necessary) annoyance.
That's my plan after PPL. Will seek some advice when I get closer as to which school to choose

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not correct.

A properly executed barrel roll is a 1G maneuver.

There is a well known video of Bob Hoover performing one, as an unspilled glass of water rests on his glare shield. That's not possible with negative G's.

Iced tea. Not water.

Here's a question - if you find yourself inverted in an aircraft equipped with Garmin ESP, and you try to roll out of it, will the ESP kick in at 45 degrees bank inverted and start pushing back against the recovery?

Here's a question - if you find yourself inverted in an aircraft equipped with Garmin ESP, and you try to roll out of it, will the ESP kick in at 45 degrees bank inverted and start pushing back against the recovery?

In theory it would have kicked in already.

In practice, would have to either find a written spec for what it does in a rapid roll scenario, or wait until someone sees it and survives to tell us all what it did. :)

More important, what would the iPad apps that many cannot fly without be telling them?

Oh, that's easy. iPad's support auto-rotate...

LOL!

Actually that's the first thing I do on an iPad. Switch the side switch from being a mute to being the rotation lock switch. Way more useful that way.

Mute can be had by simply holding down the down-volume switch, so why you'd need two physical ways to do a mute, I have no idea.

But locking the stupid rotation that can easily be confused by turbulence in the airplane or just by lying on the couch and holding it at and odd angle while reading it... with the switch... is far more useful than it being a second mute switch.

I live by the "wings level first" rule, and managed to pass a number of upset recovery scenarious, including under hood. That said, in several instances I produced a noticeable phugoid after leveling, and at times airplane pointed down at extreme angle (and accelerated). I really suspect that I would attain better results by doing everything smoothly together, instead of in sequence "wings level - stop rotations - pull up while observing limitations". Sadly, I cannot attempt such integration without aerobatic training. Are you saying it's impossible and even fighter pilots recover in steps?

It's not impossible it's just not an efficient or particularly safe way to do things. Airplanes are designed and rated for symmetrical rather than asymmetrical G, and their asymmetrical load limits are correspondingly lower. Even in a fighter, a nose-low unusual attitude recovery involves first getting the wings underneath you (level), then a pull. That is a faster way to get your lift vector the most vertical than the loaded roll that would be involved with rolling and pulling together.

Back