One for the experts...

Kritchlow

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kritchlow
I have an ATP multi (and commercial ASEL, but that's irrelevant).

I also have an expired CFI, and a very rare MEI. The reason it's rare is there is no instrument rating anywhere on my now expired CFI.
(Long story how I got the VFR MEI)

Anyway, If i went and got my CFII in a SE in order to reinstate my CFI, would I have instrument instructor privlidges in the ME??

I have an ATP multi (and commercial ASEL, but that's irrelevant).

I also have an expired CFI, and a very rare MEI. The reason it's rare is there is no instrument rating anywhere on my now expired CFI.
(Long story how I got the VFR MEI)

Anyway, If i went and got my CFII in a SE in order to reinstate my CFI, would I have instrument instructor privlidges in the ME??
Yes. The endorsement is for Instrument Airplane, not class-specific.

Yes. The endorsement is for Instrument Airplane, not class-specific.
I'll happily run with that... but that diesnt hold true in a pilots certificate (although way, way back it did).

I'll happily run with that... but that diesnt hold true in a pilots certificate (although way, way back it did).
Well, an instrument rated pilot who wants to add AMEL to their certificate would be required to demonstrate AMEL specific Instrument tasks. Is that what you mean?

Well, an instrument rated pilot who wants to add AMEL to their certificate would be required to demonstrate AMEL specific Instrument tasks. Is that what you mean?
Not really.
I'm not even sure I understand your question.

You said it doesn't apply to a pilot certificate. I was pointing out how it actually can apply.
Now I'm confused
I'll go reread my initial and amend as necessary in case it's confusing.

When you get an MEI there is no requirement to do any instrument work on that checkride.

Adding instrument airplane to your flight instructor certificate will reinstate the certificate and also authorize you to teach instruments in either a single or a multi. Likewise, if you only hold a flight instructor, instrument airplane certificate and no airplane single engine or airplane multi engine ratings on that instructor certificate you can't teach instruments in an actual airplane.

When you get an MEI there is no requirement to do any instrument work on that checkride.

Adding instrument airplane to your flight instructor certificate will reinstate the certificate and also authorize you to teach instruments in either a single or a multi. Likewise, if you only hold a flight instructor, instrument airplane certificate and no airplane single engine or airplane multi engine ratings on that instructor certificate you can't teach instruments in an actual airplane.
Nice explanation.
Thanx

This is good info, but feeding off the other thread it is another inconsistency.
On ones pilot certifificare an instrument rating dies not transfer between SEL & MEL (it did many moons ago).
I guess it does on the CFI cert. that was my question, and thanks for the answer.

This is good info, but feeding off the other thread it is another inconsistency.
On ones pilot certifificare an instrument rating dies not transfer between SEL & MEL (it did many moons ago).
I guess it does on the CFI cert. that was my question, and thanks for the answer.

Yes, it is a bit inconsistent. What you're describing still holds true on your pilot certificate - if you want instrument privileges in a multi you're going to have to do an instrument approach on the checkride with one engine inoperative. As previously discussed, not so for the MEI.

Now for the next question: as an MEI without the CFII, can you give the instrument dual required to have a multi student pass a checkride without having the VFR restriction? Some people say yes and others say no...

Yes, it is a bit inconsistent. What you're describing still holds true on your pilot certificate - if you want instrument privileges in a multi you're going to have to do an instrument approach on the checkride with one engine inoperative. As previously discussed, not so for the MEI.

Now for the next question: as an MEI without the CFII, can you give the instrument dual required to have a multi student pass a checkride without having the VFR restriction? Some people say yes and others say no...
No, unless it is for a rating without an instrument airplane endorsement, such as initial private AMEL.

Hey, just read the regs, it's all crystal clear. :mad2:

I have a computer and have the internet, so I must be an expert....:confused:

I seem to remember as I was working through ratings one guy did his CFII in a ME and that took care of both. But that was 20+ years ago.

Back