NEW TO THE AIRSPACE :-)

Naithan Scott

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
naithanscott
Hey guys! I am a recently retired Team USA 110 meter hurdler starting my pilot training. I have been wanting to get into aviation all my life, but the opportunity finally presented itself. I am 8 hours into my sport license, but my end goal is to fly commercial. If anyone is in the Phoenix Az area (especially West valley area) and you would like to hit the golf range or meet up, I'm always down to hang out! I wish you all well, and fly your best!

Welcome to the club Naithan! Hope to hear about your experiences as you continue with training.

Welcome aboard Naithan! What aircraft you training in out there?

Good choice on training plane, get trained in low cost flight then step up to more expensive aircraft.

Welcome.

...but I will ask...if you are ultimately going for commercial why are you starting with sport and not private pilot?
Well a couple reasons might be to be able to take a passenger sooner and to start building PIC time. Do the sport pilot training with a full CFI rather than a sport CFI and avoid extra instruction time cost. Can't avoid the extra written and checkride costs though. Anyway it's not an either/or type decision.

<-- that plane was at Glendale before I bought it. I think that explains the beauty mark on the tail :)
tail.JPG

Welcome.

...but I will ask...if you are ultimately going for commercial why are you starting with sport and not private pilot?
I was unsure of my routes available, so I met with a cfi-s who was interested in helping me get some flight hours under my belt. This was started as I transitioned out of my athletic career. So I'm completing generally what I started so I can have hours to take into privot training.

Well a couple reasons might be to be able to take a passenger sooner and to start building PIC time. Do the sport pilot training with a full CFI rather than a sport CFI and avoid extra instruction time cost. Can't avoid the extra written and checkride costs though. Anyway it's not an either/or type decision.
You were right on. However, you are absolutely right with that note. I do need to find a full cfi in the area I can start training with. I don't want to double my training costs if it isn't needed.

Your drive and dedication that helped you succeed as an athlete will be a great asset in your training to become a pilot. I recommend you join OBAP and seek a mentor pilot asap. The relationships you build in the industry will far surpass your technical skills in the hunt for future job opportunities. There is a wealth of knowledge here as well. Welcome to the forum and best wishes in training!

So if you want to fly commercial, why not just go straight for private? I did it that way. But hey, whatever makes you feel the most comfortable is the way to go. Let me give you my advice, Get your ground instructors certification, it's a great tool, And you will learn a lot of things that will only benifit you in the long run by doing it. Good luck, welcome to POA

Your drive and dedication that helped you succeed as an athlete will be a great asset in your training to become a pilot. I recommend you join OBAP and seek a mentor pilot asap. The relationships you build in the industry will far surpass your technical skills in the hunt for future job opportunities. There is a wealth of knowledge here as well. Welcome to the forum and best wishes in training!
Awesome! I really appreciate that. I value mentors, as they were major keys to my athletic success. I will check out the OBAP now!

If you're flying with Pilawt, you're doing it right!! Hope you both had a great time...

This is an old thread but I wanted to bring POA up to date ...

Mrs. P and I had dinner with Naithan and his lovely wife last night. Since his last post here he has joined the US Navy and has just returned from seven months at basic training, then training at Pensacola to become an air traffic controller. He's back in Phoenix for only a short time then off to San Diego where he will be attached to an aircraft carrier. Over the course of his training he received many honors and an early promotion. He hasn't been able to continue his flight training yet, but there's no doubt he'll find a way.

We're so glad that POA has given us the opportunity to get to know this fantastic family. Hearty congratulations to Naithan, his wife and their two amazing boys; and thank you for your service.

Welcome.

Because he’s an athlete! BOOM! Get it? :rofl:

Congrats Naithan, I was USAF ATC, and hope you can get back to flying soon. Maybe the Navy has a flying club at one of the bases in San Diego.

7 months basic training? He go commission?

Basic plus ATC ...

Ok, makes sense. School was 4 months when I was there. Unfortunately had to deal with 4 months at Parris Island / MCT prior to attending. :)

At least he picked a good service and the best MOS that he can get in the Navy. Seen how they do ATC on the carrier and would have loved to have done it in the Navy but the recruiter couldn’t guarantee it in contract.

Welcome.

If you want to go commercial why not get your PPL instead, think going sport to CPL will end up costing more.

Side note
Just curious, could you hurdle over a midget? The answer will dictate your success in aviation ;)

This is an old thread but I wanted to bring POA up to date ...

Mrs. P and I had dinner with Naithan and his lovely wife last night. Since his last post here he has joined the US Navy and has just returned from seven months at basic training, then training at Pensacola to become an air traffic controller. He's back in Phoenix for only a short time then off to San Diego where he will be attached to an aircraft carrier. Over the course of his training he received many honors and an early promotion. He hasn't been able to continue his flight training yet, but there's no doubt he'll find a way.

We're so glad that POA has given us the opportunity to get to know this fantastic family. Hearty congratulations to Naithan, his wife and their two amazing boys; and thank you for your service.

To bad he got Sea Duty right off. Have him check this out https://www.plusoneflyers.org/

They allow active duty serviceman to suspend their dues when deployed. If the ship spends a fair amount in home port, which is common, he could get going with flight training. Is the family moving to San Diego?

Back