Split fairings/cuffs: Owner repair item or A&P?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Maybe a dumb question, but not clear to me if this an owner legal item to replace. It's not entirely cosmetic, maybe somewhat structural or at least screwed into the structure/skin, and for sure aerodynamic. My spidey-senses tell me not an owner maintenance item.

I can call the Mfg and ask, but what fun would that be?

image.jpeg

I believe its just an A&P signoff. I bought a set from them for my 175 and installed them. I signed them off as an A&P and my local AI thought that was the right thing to do. Contacting the manufacturer will likely get you better info. They do make life much nicer at annual time and are worth every cent you pay.

Frank

Did you look at part 43 appendix A?

Yeah, what's not clear - (a)(1)(viii) "...fairings..." may apply, but this doesn't seem to meet "major alteration"? Don't know.

It's not in (b) major repair.

Thinking (c)(12) applies, so possibly no prob to replace.

The job of installing new fairing is not all that simple because they do no come with pre drilled attachment holes.

The job of installing new fairing is not all that simple because they do no come with pre drilled attachment holes.

IME that is a blessing instead of trying to make predrilled or pilot holes work when they wont.

item 12 states repair, replacement is not repair. so it does not apply. structural? no way. replacement requires an a&P sign off.

bob

Back