[NA] Canadian sniper sets world [NA]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an amazing distance to cover. Think about ballistic drop compensation mixed with compensating for shifting winds over that 2.2 mile distance, and add the effective distance of the .50 cal round...a lot of things had to be just right to make this kill shot. Amazing.

That's an amazing distance to cover. Think about ballistic drop compensation mixed with compensating for shifting winds over that 2.2 mile distance, and add the effective distance of the .50 cal round...a lot of things had to be just right to make this kill shot. Amazing.
Agreed. A ton of elite skill mixed with a little bit of pure luck.

You know you are long distance shooting when you have to DRIVE to check your target. I've shot from 1200 yards and my .308 had a 42' drop from that distance. .308 rounds start tumbling and fall to the ground somewhere around 1500 yards.

One minute of angle, which is about the accuracy you can expect from a rifle or even artillery from that distance is about 40". And thats on a windless day. You might get 1/2 of that for really accurate rifles, but its still 20". His rifle scope must have a LOT of up adjustment. That ones off the charts.

Last edited:
I used to shoot at a club that had a thousand yard range. I looked at it and said nowayinhell. The guy has to have some very serious optics, like Hubble telescope serious...

I have no interest in chucklehead politics. But I admire a good shooter. That guy's way better than me!

As someone who dabbles in rifle shooting, that is damn impressive. My best shots are out to 500 yds, but that is only with .223.

Another impressive factoid about the shot... when to pull the trigger. At that distance, the target still had time to move out of the line of fire. But for shooter and spotter to predict that the target will be where they want when the bullet arrives...

Thanks for commenting, Neville Chamberlain....

But...I never posted using my real name...how'd you know?

Another impressive factoid about the shot... when to pull the trigger. At that distance, the target still had time to move out of the line of fire. But for shooter and spotter to predict that the target will be where they want when the bullet arrives...

I was pondering that. It was like 10 seconds of travel. Would have had to have waited on a situation where he's pretty unlikely to move. Imagine sitting down to take a nice morning dump...

Let's please keep the discussion regarding the (extremely impressive) shot, and debating whether the sniper (as a Canadian) said "Sorry" before, during, or after he pulled the trigger. Or did he wait for the body to hit the ground before saying it? Personally I think it was before pulling the trigger, but one could argue that would be overconfidence since he didn't know if he'd succeeded until after the body hit the ground. So maybe he waited. I think the Hollywood version will have him saying before.

Let's please not have the political discussion about whether or not we think snipers from our neck of the woods should be over in the other neck of the woods. Or anything regarding various deities.

What about Canadian military movies involving snipers in said arena? Because Hyena Road was one I watched on my last commercial flight of many hours, and I found it quite entertaining, and it's centered around Canadian snipers in the desert. Or is it dessert?

And then there's the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle that has to be considered....

I was pondering that. It was like 10 seconds of travel. Would have had to have waited on a situation where he's pretty unlikely to move. Imagine sitting down to take a nice morning dump...
And what we don't know yet (or I missed when I read the article) is the environment... urban, open area, target was in a vehicle...

Bear in mind that the article doesn't consider how many targets were in the vicinity, and how many rounds were fired to get a hit. I think everyone is automatically assuming a first shot hit on a single chosen target. That would have been pure luck.

You don't pick a person way out in the desert at 10,000 feet, calculate your wind, drop and Coriolis, and have the expectation to get a hit. You don't do that at 3,000 feet. If there a group of targets out there, you fire a spread pattern, hopefully adjusting your aim if you (or someone else) can mark your hits and your odds go up a lot. I don't know but I suspect this is probably closer to the case.

All I know is that Canadian Sniper must be awesome during hunting season back home.

(Dang! Now I started the pro/anti hunting fight)

Bear in mind that the article doesn't consider how many targets were in the vicinity, and how many rounds were fired to get a hit. I think everyone is automatically assuming a first shot hit on a single chosen target. That would have been pure luck.

You don't pick a person way out in the desert at 10,000 feet, calculate your wind, drop and Coriolis, and have the expectation to get a hit. You don't do that at 3,000 feet. If there a group of targets out there, you fire a spread pattern, hopefully adjusting your aim if you (or someone else) can mark your hits and your odds go up a lot. I don't know but I suspect this is probably closer to the case.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the individual that was hit was specifically targeted, as opposed to some unlucky guy that happened to be standing in a group. More than likely they knew exactly who the target was and wanted to take him out to disrupt things.

All I know is that Canadian Sniper must be awesome during hunting season back home.

(Dang! Now I started the pro/anti hunting fight)
Problem is he can only hit things that are 10000 feet away.

Its all the oil money that is driving the Middle East wars. Where does ISIS get its money from? There's your answer. Why does the US care? Oil is a big part of it.

Even though most of our foreign oil comes from Canada and Mexico?

The benefit is that the deer probably won't hear the shot and run off. They'll just see Bambi drop to the ground.

Or not. We had firing session at Grafenvoer at dusk, and there were some heated targets about 1,000 meters away for the Bradleys. And, around them there were a group of deer. One of the Bradleys hit a deer with a 25mm tracer, and the deer burned up on the ground, while the other deer around it continued to eat.

The benefit is that the deer probably won't hear the shot and run off. They'll just see Bambi drop to the ground.
"Imagine you’re a deer. You’re prancing along. You get thirsty. You spot a little brook. You put your little deer lips down to the cool, clear water. BAM! A f—in’ bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask you: Would you give a f— what kind of plane the son of a b—- who shot you flies?!” ---quote edited to fit the audience

Anybody who kills Bambi has no soul. When they ask "how many souls on board" count yourself out.o_O

I'm sure the Canadians apologized after the shot by sending the family of the victim a case of moosehead and a pound of bacon.

"Imagine you’re a deer. You’re prancing along. You get thirsty. You spot a little brook. You put your little deer lips down to the cool, clear water. BAM! A f—in’ bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask you: Would you give a f— what kind of plane the son of a b—- who shot you flies?!” ---quote edited to fit the audience

Anybody who kills Bambi has no soul. When they ask "how many souls on board" count yourself out.o_O

Orange,

PEO
I understand your point. However in this situation we're talking about a military conflict that our country and one of our allies (in this case Canada) are involved in. While you may disagree, that does give it more legitimacy and general acceptance vs. a copy shooting an unarmed kid in the back of the head or Nazis killing jews. This is also a new record for a confirmed kill by a sniper, which does give it a news status. Obviously if it was an ISIS sniper shooting an American most of us would think about differently here (and mostly saying we think it's fake news, I'd bet), but this is in line with any sort of pride regarding a successful military operation for the country.

So I would argue that it's not one and the same unless you decide to make it.

Didn't realize that the Canadian Sniper was a pilot. Now I really am curious what kind of plane that SOB flies.

Snipers use Density Altitude to take into account air density for their bullet drop estimates, btw.

They have a maximum ambient operating temperature that they're allowed to fire as well. ISA+35 C for a .50 cal.

apparently some people don't understand 'DROP IT'.

Reactions: Ted
Thread has been closed and will now be reopened after over 20 posts were deleted for being SZ material or quoting/related to political/religious posts. Apologies if one of your posts that was legitimate got caught in the crossfire (pun intended) but I ended up even having to take a couple of my posts out behind the barn since they quoted political/religious posts.

So, I'll say it again... let's keep this related to the topic at hand, and not political or religious persuasions.

I'm not assuming that. I'm assuming he lobbed a bunch of shots at a group of those buggers grouped around a goat.

Thread has been closed and will now be reopened after over 20 posts were deleted for being SZ material or quoting/related to political/religious posts. Apologies if one of your posts that was legitimate got caught in the crossfire (pun intended) but I ended up even having to take a couple of my posts out behind the barn since they quoted political/religious posts.

So, I'll say it again... let's keep this related to the topic at hand, and not political or religious persuasions.

It wasn't what you quoted. Your post violated the very principals and boundaries you had set forth in the warning post. Thank you for removing it.

I'm not assuming that. I'm assuming he lobbed a bunch of shots at a group of those buggers grouped around a goat.

That is what I would go with, yes. It would be a waste of ammo to engage a single human target at that distance. The MOA in the rifle simply isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back