So does everyone B.S. their bill of sale?

But it only took SCOTUS over a decade to get one small corrupt town in Texas from being the chosen venue for bad patent law. Just happened a week or two ago.

You see, the citizens realized all the patent troll cases were being tried there so they kept re-electing the judge who made up his own law, so that the town would get the economic benefits of all the cases being moved there.
When did small towns in Texas start electing federal judges? And what does this have to do with flying?

When did small towns in Texas start electing federal judges? And what does this have to do with flying?

The thread above never was about flying. It was about whether or not people lie... on their Bill of Sale for an aircraft. If you missed that, you're probably in way over your head. Skip the thread and move on if you were looking for flying. Never was any flying to see here.

As the discussion has progressed, it became about "the Law" and how important or unimportant it is. Which also isn't a surprise since the entire premise of the discussion was essentially "Do you lie to the government?"

The example of the patent law BS was an example that "the Law" is regularly and totally foooooked, for those religious zealots who think laws are just or in any way moral.

Some people actually believe the hooey about laws being written by people who care about morality and justice. Obviously turn on any TV and watch a politician for five minutes and you'll see the garbage-in, garbage-out problem of designing a system where a useless windbag who needs votes at all costs, is also writing laws.

Some people even think lying to these politicians and their bureaucracies is somehow immoral. Which is pretty funny when you think about it.

"I shouldn't lie to the professional liars who wrote the law that says it's illegal to lie to them."

LOL.

There's all sorts of reasons not to lie to the government, but morality isn't one of them. The consequences are the real reason. Not lying to pro liars because you're worried about your own morals, is kinda stupid.

The thread above never was about flying. It was about whether or not people lie... on their Bill of Sale for an aircraft. If you missed that, you're probably in way over your head. Skip the thread and move on if you were looking for flying. Never was any flying to see here.
Yes. But just as an FYI, @Lindberg is correct on his other question. The judge (judges actually, in the long run) was an appointed Federal judge, not an elected state judge.

The problem wasn't a judge making up patent law. The judge created a system that streamlined the procedure in patent cases. Identify the issues in the case and get it moving. Limited the ability of big corporations to produce long delays and increase costs, forcing favorable (to them) settlements. You know, decrease the delays and cost of litigation so many complain about? It was the good, ordinary, people who lived there who kept ruling for the patent plaintiffs.

The problem was a combination of the two. A speeded up procedure (the "rocket docket") that got cases quickly to a jury pool that historically ruled for the patent plaintiffs.

The SCOTUS decision doesn't change anything about the local procedure or the juries. It just limits the ability of the patent plaintiffs to choose that court (in a way similar to most other lawsuits).

Folks will probably find more in TC Heartland vs Kraft Foods to support claims of juries running amok and the need to take things away from them and give more power to elected and politically appointed judges than an indictment of political morality, but I'm sure there will be something there for everyone. There usually is.

Last edited:
Why are you entitled to my money when I buy something from someone else?

Pay gas taxes to drive on a public road, sure
Paying postage to ship USPS, sure

But trying to take my money when I buy something from another private individual, keep your hands out of my pockets, or bring something of value to the table

Because the US constitution and every state gives the people the right to make you pay taxes and every society known in history has taxes. There have are always free loaders like you that think they should ride for free and people who lie and try to steal from the lawful folks in society.

Because the US constitution gives the people the right to make you pay taxes and every society known in history has taxes. There are are always free loaders like you that think they should ride for free.

You think the founders invisioned the massive taxes (including income tax) and the giant federal reserve that we have today?

Do you think the founder unvisited jet airplane?

I don't think they would care, their concerns were not with tech innovations, heck Franklin would probably be flying or wrenching on one, what they would take MAJOR issue with is the overpowered beast the government has become.

Denverpilot is incorrect. It's not a state court with an elected judge.

The Eastern District of Texas federal court, located in Marshall, has more patent infringement lawsuits filed there than any of the other 93 federal court districts.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...atent-cases-go-elsewhere-supreme-court-ruling
I am aware. @denverpilot's rant about patent law had little to do with reality. While there's plenty to complain about on the eastern district of Texas, it was actually the Federal Circuit, a federal court of appeals in Washington D.C. that screwed up patent venue almost 30 years ago. Plaintiffs in the eastern district certainly took advantage of it, but that had nothing to do with citizens of small towns or elected judges. The same district is also a choice forum for personal injury cases.

Getting back to taxes and the bill of sale.
$1 and OVC is valid, and is not a falsehood. It just is a way for some people to help ensure some privacy.
In terms of the taxes. There is a problem in translation. Tax avoidance has a legal definition, and based on the legal definition is against the law. However, what the general public does, and calls tax avoidance generally does not meet the legal definition of tax avoidance. Legally, it is legal loopholes, minimize taxes, tax deferment...

Tim

(And officers should be paid enough to carry their own personal liability insurance for said problems just like anyone in the medical industry. My wife carries her own on top of whatever the medical company would give her as a defense and they'd defend her unless she was grossly negligent.)
LOL, you should see what cops in Nassau/Suffolk counties in NY get paid.

I am aware. @denverpilot's rant about patent law had little to do with reality. While there's plenty to complain about on the eastern district of Texas, it was actually the Federal Circuit, a federal court of appeals in Washington D.C. that screwed up patent venue almost 30 years ago. Plaintiffs in the eastern district certainly took advantage of it, but that had nothing to do with citizens of small towns or elected judges. The same district is also a choice forum for personal injury cases.

The fact that I got the Federal part wrong was irrelevant to the point that the law was (and still is) broken, in response to someone who was enamored with "the rule of law".

Plenty of broken/stupid/immoral law out there and plenty of people taking full advantage of it. There's nothing particularly interesting about someone ignoring it when they think they can get away with it.

I think I'll go loan a vacuum cleaner to someone in Denver. Come find me and prosecute if it's such a wonderful system that the Law must be obeyed at all times.

So as usual, the real answer to the posted question is, "Yes, people do it." The follow on answer is, "... because private sales really aren't anyone else's business, and evading taxes is not everyone's reason for doing so."

That it devolved into "Pay your taxes you heathen!" says a lot about the messages that seem to resonate in our weird-assed society today. Everyone thinks everyone else is out to cheat, when usually they're just trying to get out from under a tax system that if you flattened it tomorrow, would put hundreds of thousands if not millions of people out of jobs just tracking money and esoteric rules.

I've said it before... there's a reason the tax attorney is the only guy who owns two warbirds at my home airport.

Back