For the Instructors:

What type of teaching is most rewarding (multiple responses allowed)

• Initial

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Instrument

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Multi

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Commercial

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ATP

• Multi

• I don't like teaching

• Teaching of any kind is rewarding, as long as the student is dedicated

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I've been a private instructor and professor for 30 years, and I'm interested in getting the CFI-A and CFI-IA. Since the pay for this is about 1/3 or what I get for private lessons, teaching would be for fun, and the satisfaction of teaching a student.

So, for you instructors, what type of teaching is the most rewarding?

I voted for the last one. As long as my student is engaged, willing to learn, and making progress, I'm happy. The first student I soloed just accepted a job flying a Caravan in South America. It's very rewarding to see them progress in their career. Dad also had students get to Delta and other legacies before he did

For me the most rewarding moment comes when the pilot under instruction goes from being tense to having fun. This can happen several times with a single student on all levels and I find each time rewarding.

I love it when we overcome some particular challenge to proficiency.

Watching a first solo is a shared aviation magic moment.

I love to hear about their flying adventures and how they applied some of what I taught them to make the flight special and safe.

I find a primary student a greater challenge with a corresponding greater reward when they achieve proficiency.

I find high time pilots intimidating and find it rewarding when I can help them beak bad habits.

I didn't vote. My preference is transition training and "advanced instruction" in twins.

I'm definitely in the "any kind" category. Whether a student on first solo or a relatively experienced pilot who picks up a single tip for something she is working on, watching someone "get it" lets me know I've done my job.

One part I really enjoyed was seeing the look on a students face when I say, "I'm gettin' out. Give me two touch and goes and one full stop. Don't forget your flaps and talk on the radio, listen up for others."

The best part was seeing their excitement after they parked the plane and realized what just happened...!!!

I would have to pick initial. It was great for me to see someone come in to talk about flight training, then first solo, first cross country and finally achieving their goal and getting their certificate.

I voted for the last one. As long as my student is engaged, willing to learn, and making progress, I'm happy.

I agree. I really don't care what I'm teaching as long as the student is engaged and progressing.

I didn't vote in the poll though. My preference would be to do advanced and transition training, specializing in tailwheel airplanes and off airport work but there is no demand for that in my area. Instead, most of my instruction has been accelerated training for advanced ratings like commercial, multi, and flight instructor. Of that, I'd say I enjoy the multi and instructor instructing the most.

Initial through the solo stages is where I find the most satisfaction as a CFI

Tailwheel training is just fun. It's given me a few grey hairs, but I love it anyway. Probably my favorite. Multi is enjoyable because they already know how to fly, it's not super tough or long term training with a lot of obstacles to overcome. We usually have fun with that. Private isn't as much "fun", but it's very rewarding because you take someone who knows nothing and turn them into a pilot. Sending off on first solos, seeing the white paper in their hand, watching them spread their wings (so to speak) and grow, pretty cool. Instrument training...meh. I like going on trips with them, in IMC as much as possible, and I get a kick out of watching them go forth afterwards, but spending hours on holds and the same approaches...meh. I've never done an ATP. Doing CFI training can be fun as far as flying goes. Not so much the ground part, for me. ;)

Back