KLGB this weekend

Oh, no, nothing like that. I did not violate any FARs that I'm aware of. The controller had only said "make left traffic", and I did...in a somewhat nonstandard way, but legally. Just...cutting the departure path wasn't the safest place to be. The controller didn't even say anything, other than verifying that I was still making left traffic for 25L when I was a bit out of place.

Let me see if I can find the LiveATC records...
Point being if you didn't get a Brasher, then you did everything safely enough.

16/34 were closed a few/several years ago. I flew out of LGB for a few years 1998-2004, and I only recall using either for an arrival once or twice, in a strong southerly wind.

I instructed out of Long Beach in the 80's. I took my students out for crosswind practice on the 16/34 runways all the time.

Point being if you didn't get a Brasher, then you did everything safely enough.
No, it just means it didn't get reported. There was no violation, so no Brasher warning would be expected.

I've had departing traffic turn crosswind early, directly into my path, as I started to enter downwind (per tower instructions), close enough that I had to dive, apply full power, and turn away. Tower didn't even mention it over the air, but it was definitely unsafe.

There are many other examples. All kinds of student pilot tricks would apply.

We are shooting to visit LGB coming from the north of the state. Looks like following the Van Nuys corridor over LAX is the preferred approach? Any advice on doing this would sure help! neither of us have transited LAX before. We aren't rookies but "not familiar" isn't what they want to hear there I imagine.......!! Do we tell flight following that's the plan early on or wait to be switched to LAX approach or....?
Thank you.

We are shooting to visit LGB coming from the north of the state. Looks like following the Van Nuys corridor over LAX is the preferred approach? Any advice on doing this would sure help! neither of us have transited LAX before. We aren't rookies but "not familiar" isn't what they want to hear there I imagine.......!! Do we tell flight following that's the plan early on or wait to be switched to LAX approach or....?
Thank you.

What do you mean by the Van Nuys corridor? None of the routes that start at VNY go directly over LAX. The closest is the Hollywood Park Route, but you'll be at least 8500' on the other end of it and you have a serious descent in front of you. The Mini Route is ideal, but hard to get. I have always taken the SFRA. If you're truly coming from north of Van Nuys, your other option is to duck under the Bravo. Basically, stay above 5000' until you get past the Rose Bowl, then dive down to 2000' and stay under the shelves. If you don't like being that low over dense LA, you can go a little further east and only drop to 3500'.

Looking at the TAC the arrows of the Coliseum Route, using VNY at one end, run about in line with our direct routing. That's the one I meant. Will also look at your suggestions, thanks!
PS: what is the SFRA you refer to? I'm guessing you mean this:

The next transition route is the Los Angeles Special Flight Rules Area. This route is flown on the SMO 132-degree radial and crosses LAX at 3,500 feet when proceeding southeast and 4,500 feet when flying northeast. An ATC clearance is not required to fly this route - but all airplanes flying this route must switch their transponders to 1201 when they are within the LAX Class Bravo airspace. Pilots must provide their own traffic avoidance by maintaining the correct altitude and by making position announcements on 128.55. A typical announcement might sound like this: "Los Angeles special flight rules area traffic, Cessna 1234, over LAX at 4,500 feet."

Looking at the TAC the arrows of the Coliseum Route, using VNY at one end, run about in line with our direct routing. That's the one I meant. Will also look at your suggestions, thanks!
PS: what is the SFRA you refer to? I'm guessing you mean this:

The next transition route is the Los Angeles Special Flight Rules Area. This route is flown on the SMO 132-degree radial and crosses LAX at 3,500 feet when proceeding southeast and 4,500 feet when flying northeast. An ATC clearance is not required to fly this route - but all airplanes flying this route must switch their transponders to 1201 when they are within the LAX Class Bravo airspace. Pilots must provide their own traffic avoidance by maintaining the correct altitude and by making position announcements on 128.55. A typical announcement might sound like this: "Los Angeles special flight rules area traffic, Cessna 1234, over LAX at 4,500 feet."

That would be the one, but I'm coming from SF, so it's more convenient for me than it would be for you. Problem with the Coliseum route is that it's also up at 8500'. I haven't taken it, so you may get an early descent from ATC, but otherwise you'll need to double back at around SLI.

I think the LASFRA is really best for us too. Coming from the Sac Valley.

I think the LASFRA is really best for us too. Coming from the Sac Valley.

If you've never flown it, it's actually pretty damn easy. Remember to squawk 1201 over SMO and turn on your nav lights. Fly over the LAX runways. Make a few announcements on the given frequency. The only pain is that you'll have to give up flight following during the transition, so you'll be talking to LGB tower fresh on the other side.

Back