GoldMethod or Shepphard?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
So this is going to sound a bit silly. I completed the King IFR written course. I have gone through all 900+ questions again and I am thinking about going through again. I will then take the practice tests a bunch of times.

I am thinking about supplementing the King courses with Sheppard Air or Gold Method as well. I want to learn the **** out of this material! I am reading the Instrument Flying Handbook alongside as well...read through about 70% of that.

Gold Method is $99 and Sheppard is $40. Any suggestions?

Although I'm not using Sporty's for my IFR, I used them for my Private written and it wasn't all that helpful.

Didn't help me there either. In fact, I don't know anyone, or know anyone who knows anyone who got a plane in their giveaway. I think they're in cahoots with McDonalds and other restaurants that offer cash and prizes for buying their crap. ;)

For real though the gold method system looks cool and fun but not sure it's worth dropping 99 when I already paid for and did the king course

edit: I got a 93 after one month with goldmethod with the poa50 discount code.

Just finished using Shepperd Air for the commercial. I've done King and Gleim to pass my private and instrument. I like Shepperd's method of study better than any of them. First time through, you go through the questions with only the correct answer showing. Due to the "Law of Primacy" they say our brain remembers the first thing we see better. So only the right answer the first go around. Then you go through every section again with all the answer choices and see how you do. Then after that you do the whole question bank at once with the questions mixed up. During this you mark any question you want to come back to later and look at again. Then you do the marked question. Then take a practice test or two. They tell you if you make a 90 or better go take the test immediately.

I just did my practice test today and made a 96 on it. Missed 4. Going to take it for real Friday.

I recently used King for Instrument Knowledge, did a 93%.
Personally I'm biased against any course that just "teaches" to the questions rather than teaching the material. You interested in being a knowledgeable pilot or just passing the test? (Not directed at OP since he/she did the King course)

I recently used King for Instrument Knowledge, did a 93%.
Personally I'm biased against any course that just "teaches" to the questions rather than teaching the material. You interested in being a knowledgeable pilot or just passing the test? (Not directed at OP since he/she did the King course)

I'm just interested in passing the test when studying for the written. That's all I'm looking for in one of these courses.

I'm just interested in passing the test when studying for the written. That's all I'm looking for in one of these courses.
So....by saying that, you're admitting knowing and understanding the material is not important to you? I just can't fathom that. Sorry

So this is going to sound a bit silly. I completed the King IFR written course. I have gone through all 900+ questions again and I am thinking about going through again. I will then take the practice tests a bunch of times.

I am thinking about supplementing the King courses with Sheppard Air or Gold Method as well. I want to learn the **** out of this material! I am reading the Instrument Flying Handbook alongside as well...read through about 70% of that.

Gold Method is $99 and Sheppard is $40. Any suggestions?

Do you know the material? If so, go take the dang test.

Do you know the material? If so, go take the dang test.

I think I am quite close to being ready. But I want to know it from the bottom of my heart! Honestly it's the weirdly worded questions that still trip me up...not necesarilly the knowledge

So....by saying that, you're admitting knowing and understanding the material is not important to you? I just can't fathom that. Sorry

I never said understanding the material is not important for me. That's why I italicized my point. Just not for passing the written. I think if most are honest here they would say the same thing where studying for the test is concerned. Gleim, Sheppard, and a lot of these others are basically for just passing the test. That's why people use them. Understanding everything that the test is about comes before/after the test. Just not when trying to pass the test.

I never said understanding the material is not important for me. That's why I italicized my point. Just not for passing the written. I think if most are honest here they would say the same thing where studying for the test is concerned. Gleim, Sheppard, and a lot of these others are basically for just passing the test. That's why people use them. Understanding everything that the test is about comes before/after the test. Just not when trying to pass the test.
I fully understand why people use test prep courses, but, again, why not use the opportunity to learn the material. As a physician, I and my colleagues found it important to understand the knowledge base rather than just being able to pass MCAT, board exams, etc. Our patients expect that. Your passengers, ATC, the FAA, all those schools full of children below you, etc expect that as well.
<a bit tongue in cheek here>

Dude, you finished the King course? Take the practice tests, take the written, then get on with learning the real thing!

You'll drown, trying to separate the essential from the trivial - but it'll become evident after you get the (relatively) useless IFR written behind you. It's just an adminis-trivia hoop to jump through. You'll discover areas later that you aren't certain about, and when that happens, you can hit the reference books, AIM, etc. to clear it up for yourself. . .

Dude, you finished the King course? Take the practice tests, take the written, then get on with learning the real thing!

You'll drown, trying to separate the essential from the trivial - but it'll become evident after you get the (relatively) useless IFR written behind you. It's just an adminis-trivia hoop to jump through. You'll discover areas later that you aren't certain about, and when that happens, you can hit the reference books, AIM, etc. to clear it up for yourself. . .

The Sheppard I just used for my commercial says you can definitely overstudy. Once you study the way they suggest, you take a practice test and they say if you score 90 or above, go take the test immediately.

You need to remeber a few things.

1. The FAA has not released any test questionto the public in years. All the questions the courses are teaching off of are old at this point.
2. All the schools are teaching off of the same bank of questions. If Kings has 900 plus, Gleim, Sporty's, etc have access to the saem 900 plus questions
3. My protor told me that he heard the question library is closer to 10k. I am not sure how realiable that number is, but it was just said to me.
4. The figure suppliment was just revamped. All the courses are currently teaching from the 2014 figure book. It is no longer valid, but as always many (if not most) of the information in there is the same.

I would recomend using an actual text book. Any course that relies on soley videos is going to concentrate mainly on questions, and highlights. That will usually get you to pass the test, because it will cover all the main topics. I can tell you from my experience, there were several questions that King's did not even touch on the topic, and I do not remeber seeing the information in any of their questions.

1. The FAA has not released any test questionto the public in years. All the questions the courses are teaching off of are old at this point.
2. All the schools are teaching off of the same bank of questions. If Kings has 900 plus, Gleim, Sporty's, etc have access to the saem 900 plus questions
3. My protor told me that he heard the question library is closer to 10k. I am not sure how realiable that number is, but it was just said to me.
4. The figure suppliment was just revamped. All the courses are currently teaching from the 2014 figure book. It is no longer valid, but as always many (if not most) of the information in there is the same.

I would recomend using an actual text book. Any course that relies on soley videos is going to concentrate mainly on questions, and highlights. That will usually get you to pass the test, because it will cover all the main topics. I can tell you from my experience, there were several questions that King's did not even touch on the topic, and I do not remeber seeing the information in any of their questions.

One reason why I am reading the IFH alongside the King course. With that being said I simply don't learn things as well if I don't have a chance to "regurgitate" the info through quizzes and questions like the King Course.

I tried both Sheppard (~2 years ago) and Gold Method (~2 months ago). I think either will do the job but I found Gold Method more engaging and I passed the written. Both may be drilling the material into your head but at least Gold Method doesn't tell you to go memorize a bunch of answers.

www.asa2fly.com, Resources, FAA Knowledge Exams, Updates. Latest update is this month.

Bob

www.asa2fly.com, Resources, FAA Knowledge Exams, Updates. Latest update is this month.

Bob
I like to support the people I am familar with whenever possible. Bob has authored several books published through ASA. I would definitely recommend anything he wrote. I have never seen ASA's IFR training program so I cant comment on it - but if he recommends it, it is worth using.
On the Gold Method program - Russ Still, started that company. Russ has been a contributor on several of these aviation forums for as long as I can remember. I have seen some samples on YouTube and they look very well done. Different presentation styles click with different people. Try to get a look at a few samples if they are available. I like to save money as much as anyone - but $60 difference in price should not be the driving factor. Buy what you like. About 15 years ago I used the Sporty's DVDs from my IFR training. I still watch the DVD on instrument approaches once or twice a year. If the content and presentation are good, you will use it for a long time.

I like to support the people I am familar with whenever possible. Bob has authored several books published through ASA. I would definitely recommend anything he wrote.
About 15 years ago I used the Sporty's DVDs from my IFR training. I still watch the DVD on instrument approaches once or twice a year. If the content and presentation are good, you will use it for a long time.

I also recommend Bob's book, "The Complete Advanced Pilot."

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Adv...rd_wg=bZWT2&psc=1&refRID=SCB6DPW4N6A3BNS5ZT4X

You bring up an interesting thought on buying the DVD set. I borrowed the Sporty's DVDs from a fried and watched them a while ago. Being able to watch them periodically to keep the memory refreshed would be nice.

I answered the original question in terms of passing the written test. Obviously you need to know more than what's on the test. I look at the FAA written like an English test. Reading and understanding the book doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to recall the main character's 3rd cousin's dog's name. Studying a few of the more obscure details will improve your test score greatly.

1. the knowledge you have from PPL (vast)
2. IFHB &/or IPHB ($20-45)
3. ASA test prep book ($20)
4. print out the instrument charts for your airport and local airports from skyvector.com (free)
5. buy your local EnRt Low Alt Chrt ($8)
6. study
7. watch videos on youtube (free)
8. study

9. take test
10. you just passed your IRA, congrats
11. study the areas you got questions wrong in

good luck

So finished going through all 900+ King questions again and took 2 of the 3 practice tests. Got a 95 and 100% on those. Will most likely take the 3rd tonight. I think I am likely prepared to take the written, but I am in no rush since I won't start the flying until it cools off a bit here in Phoenix. I may finish reading the Instrument Flying Handbook and then take it...or maybe read the IFH and do Gold Method or Sheppard as well.

Doesnt matter which or even if you do any of the study guides. Just keep taking practice tests until you score over 90.

I think I am likely prepared to take the written, but I am in no rush since I won't start the flying until it cools off a bit here in Phoenix.

You made a 95 and 100. You're ready. Don't wait. Take it NOW. Make an appointment for next week.

So finished going through all 900+ King questions again and took 2 of the 3 practice tests. Got a 95 and 100% on those. Will most likely take the 3rd tonight. I think I am likely prepared to take the written, but I am in no rush since I won't start the flying until it cools off a bit here in Phoenix. I may finish reading the Instrument Flying Handbook and then take it...or maybe read the IFH and do Gold Method or Sheppard as well.
Go take the test and get it over with. You can still study more after passing to continue becoming comfortable with all the material.

Hmm...alright...I will see what I get on the 3rd practice test. I want to make sure I kill this exam!

That is an important point. The Knowledge Test Supplement has been completely redesigned. Many changes, especially in the weather charts. Most of the old charts are no longer covered and they are replaced with new charts. GoldMethod has already started updating to the new 2017 Test Supplement.

I've gone through the entire new supplement so I am familiar. I don't think that should change the test drastically though

Well...passed my third King Course practice exam with a 98.5% (so 95%, 100%, and 98.3%). I am tempted to just go take it, but I think I am overthinking the fact that the ACS has maybe changed everything. I might just do Sheppard or Gold Method for the hell of it. I suppose extra studying can't do any harm.

Well...passed my third King Course practice exam with a 98.5% (so 95%, 100%, and 98.3%). I am tempted to just go take it, but I think I am overthinking the fact that the ACS has maybe changed everything. I might just do Sheppard or Gold Method for the hell of it. I suppose extra studying can't do any harm.

Just take the dang test already. You're gonna pass it. You won't die if you don't nail it 100%. Put us out of our misery. :confused:

:D

Having said that, Sheppard is probably the most up to date of questions that have changed, etc. So It might not hurt to get it and start off taking one of their tests just to see how you do. :D

Having said that, Sheppard is probably the most up to date of questions that have changed, etc. So It might not hurt to get it and start off taking one of their tests just to see how you do. :D

Yea I'm gonna call them tomorrow...if I don't get 100% on this test then no Instrument instructor will want to take me on as a student (just kidding) :p

Back