G5 install today

...I'd sell the cherokee and get a Mooney with everything already installed. Could probably get a good deal on one for $60K.

If you know of a nice mooney for 60k with that panel PM me, I'll buy it, I don't want it, but I wouldn't mind making some quick money flipping it.

It’s not easy to invest that kind of money in a small airplane, even if the airplane was inherited or given to you.

Fortunately I'm only 32 years old and have no plans to get a bigger faster airplane. Sure it would be nice to have one but I cringe every time I consider adding more expensive parts such as a $9k prop, $1k prop governor, etc. I’ll keep my dated working autopilot, $20k in radios and mogas burning 4 cylinder 150 horse and be happy. I’m darn lucky to be able to have it as it is.

Do you have a Cherokee as well?

If you know of a nice mooney for 60k with that panel PM me, I'll buy it, I don't want it, but I wouldn't mind making some quick money flipping it.

Yea that's a good point...haven't seen any Mooneys for 60K with a panel close to that

Had a "glitch" with my G5 today. I wasn't the pilot, it was a friend of mine that is using my plane to finish up his commercial and do his commercial checkride. He was scheduled to do his checkride this morning, started up the plane and everything fired up normally, but when setting altimeter noticed the G5 had shut down. Tried several things to get it started again but it was dead, nothing but a black screen. He ran it over to the avionics shop, they pulled it out and put it on the test stand, dead, until the removed and re-installed the back up battery, then it started up normally. Reinstalled it in the plane and everything worked normal. He missed his checkride, and will have to reschedule to a later date.

Has anyone had an issue like this with there G5?

Had a "glitch" with my G5 today. I wasn't the pilot, it was a friend of mine that is using my plane to finish up his commercial and do his commercial checkride. He was scheduled to do his checkride this morning, started up the plane and everything fired up normally, but when setting altimeter noticed the G5 had shut down. Tried several things to get it started again but it was dead, nothing but a black screen. He ran it over to the avionics shop, they pulled it out and put it on the test stand, dead, until the removed and re-installed the back up battery, then it started up normally. Reinstalled it in the plane and everything worked normal. He missed his checkride, and will have to reschedule to a later date.

Has anyone had an issue like this with there G5?

That is the price of software based avionics. The G1000's I look after have the odd meltdown. Turn everything off for a minute then keep going. Just like my computer at home.

OP, by reading some of your posts it appears that the aircraft was flown before the maintenance entry was made and before the W&B was updated. If so, you may want to refresh your knowledge of the applicable regs.

I was wondering that as well. I wouldn't release the aircraft, nor would I accept an aircraft, without the paperwork being done.

When I was student pilot I had trouble holding a heading. I said it was a "heading bug"

Seems I was wrong about that.

That is the price of software based avionics. The G1000's I look after have the odd meltdown. Turn everything off for a minute then keep going. Just like my computer at home.

In the embedded world that's actually called "crap software" and "didn't implement a hardware watchdog correctly". But yes, that lack of quality is creeping from the desktop junk OSes to embedded systems.

Was your event a big enough failure of the panel to trigger a need to do an NTSB 830 report? (Doubtful but asking anyway.)

If all a panel has is a single little display and it fails, is that a "100%" display failure? ;)

"(9) A complete loss of information, excluding flickering, from more than 50 percent of an aircraft's cockpit displays known as:

(i) Electronic Flight Instrument System (EFIS) displays;

(ii) Engine Indication and Crew Alerting System (EICAS) displays;

(iii) Electronic Centralized Aircraft Monitor (ECAM) displays; or

(iv) Other displays of this type, which generally include a primary flight display (PFD), primary navigation display (PND), and other integrated displays;"

Some days I just wish I could blow a ton of money on avionics...430, G5s, GTX 345, autopilot. Woo hoo that would be exciting!
I know the feeling. And I may just have to bite the bullet anyway.

My EDM700 display is failing. Some of the digits are dropping bars. I might need to upgrade to a 730.
My King KCS-55A HSI is failing. The glide slope indicator is becoming intermittent. I'm thinking a G5 will fix this.
And there is of course, ADSB looming. At a minimum I need to add ES to my gtx-330, or maybe a GTX 345.

And then, I might trade it in for a plane with air conditioning. I just got down from a 2 hour flight in Florida where the humidity made the 92+ degrees seem even worse. I wish I could at least open the windows in flight.

My King KCS-55A HSI is failing. The glide slope indicator is becoming intermittent. I'm thinking a G5 will fix this.

Is that KCS hooked to an autopilot? If so, G5 isn't an option.

Here's the first flight of the G5 equipped 1956 Cessna 180.
18670891_10207452774392419_2744591404476067890_n.jpg
Now this is one beautiful, clean panel with the Garmin. Who developed this, and who did the install? I am looking for same in my backcountry 182. Thanks !

Some days I just wish I could blow a ton of money on avionics...430, G5s, GTX 345, autopilot. Woo hoo that would be exciting!

Don't fight it...just think of it as a continuation of all the money you've blown on aviation since you took that fateful introductory flight. When put in that context it makes anything seem like a trivial and logical next step, easy to rationalize. :D

One STCed G5 can replace the DG. This G5 can be hooked to other Garmin radios to make it an HSI. Any radio interfaced to the G5 HSI cannot have a mechanical CDI installed, they must be removed per STC.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-13_02.pdf

I'm looking at the manuals and such for an install on a 182 and can't find that in the instructions or limitations. Did you have an exact reference for it? Or is it just a function of the wiring limitations?

Right now the install could be anywhere from a simple replace the AI standalone, to a dual G5's hooked to the 430 and remote compass etc.

I'm looking at the manuals and such for an install on a 182 and can't find that in the instructions or limitations. Did you have an exact reference for it? Or is it just a function of the wiring limitations?

Right now the install could be anywhere from a simple replace the AI standalone, to a dual G5's hooked to the 430 and remote compass etc.

Its a flag note on every wiring drawing involving navigation interface in Rev 6 of the Part 23 installation manual.

Ok. Thanks. Found it in Rev 7. I just basically skimmed over the drawings to this point. Just trying to get a grasp on the overall.

Back