YGBFSM

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
A $1400 GPS... Where do they come up with these numbers? Must be about the markup on a KSN770.
upload_2017-6-19_14-54-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-19_14-51-19.png
    upload_2017-6-19_14-51-19.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Must be following the Cessna model for outrageous pricing.

PSEngineering 6000B - retail, $1200.
PSE 7000 pin compatible with the King - $1300 at Spruce
Brand new Garmin 335 adsb transponder - off Garmin's website $2900

Actually, I think they're using the 60 day window to give notice to 90% of their avionics technicians.

I would not give a wooden nickel for a KLN90.

That said, I did plenty of IFR flying and approaches to minimums in a KLN90 equipped Chieftain in Alaska.

I had previously purchased a KLN94 for my aircraft and was just saving the pennies to get it installed when BK announced their new policy. I was instantly sorry I bought the thing when I found out that the new policy doesn't apply the KLN94's or the KX155's.

I had previously purchased a KLN94 for my aircraft and was just saving the pennies to get it installed when BK announced their new policy. I was instantly sorry I bought the thing when I found out that the new policy doesn't apply the KLN94's or the KX155's.

I've got a pretty nice KI204 & KN53 with glide slope and its tempting to sell them and get something else.

I have alwas liked king radios, had them im most my airplanes. my new stance, Screw king. they apparently do not want to support there equipment and want it out of the system.

I have alwas liked king radios, had them im most my airplanes. my new stance, Screw king. they apparently do not want to support there equipment and want it out of the system.

That's what I've heard too. Basically giving up on GA.

They haven't been old man King's company for a very long time.

Bendix and Honeywell have never been in any way consumer or even business friendly.

Bendix and Honeywell have never been in any way consumer or even business friendly.
And they've pretty much gone out of the world. Yeah, every airplane in existence has King radios, that's how influential they were back in the day. But would you really purchase their avionics now?

Must be following the Cessna model for outrageous pricing.

Funny you mentioned that. AP just gave me the usual at-annual gut punch about a bent rod link to a nose gear door. Little metal rod to drag the door is bent, new they want 575..I told them "575 what? chimichangas?" oh USDollars... So off we go to the salvage yards to save 200 bucks.

At any rate in the process of my venting I remark I might as well just chuck the airplane and get a 182 and be done with it, and he straight up reminded me of the laundry list of Cessna parts in that airplane that would make me take a lap around the airport fence before I lost my mind. LOL It's a wash, it's all a dystopian price structure. Two things I got in the conversation:
1) I'm never getting away from it no matter what airplane I make the mistake of buying (frankly I'm somewhat coddled by the PA28 airframe in the aggregate) and
2) who am I kidding, of course I wasn't gonna buy an airplane with a TCM engine, that's how I know I was being irrational ..:D (I semi keed)

Certified rec aviation. We're screwed. Avionics? LOL I'll never go down that rabbit hole. Airworthiness parts replacement got all my money already. Sorry Garmin, first creditor gets paid on this one, you get the finger. Go sell some marine GPS or something....

I work for one of the said companies (although not in the avionics division) and I always say to myself...who the hell would buy any of the Bendix King stuff now a days lol

I work for one of the said companies (although not in the avionics division) and I always say to myself...who the hell would buy any of the Bendix King stuff now a days lol

Bu... bu... but... they sell the Blue Doughnut!!! ;)

Avionics costs (including installation) for certified aircraft are, in general, OUT OF CONTROL.

According to that Aoa guy there are 80,000 kt76a's still out there in operation.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avionics costs (including installation) for certified aircraft are, in general, OUT OF CONTROL.

... the very reason I sunk $1,500 in my KLN89B display this Spring. It's IFR certified, old and no way user friendly (unless you've flown behind it for 20 years), but its still waaay cheaper to repair than replace with a yellow tagged WAAS Garmin. Ok, I'm cheap, but it's more dollars for avgas and still keep a sense of sanity and utility. Would I buy new King, no. I'm sure if I flew behind glass or a GTN-750, I'd never go back -- but spending 10% to repair for what it would cost to replace with new... I'll fly another few years behind the old 89B with the iPad backing me up.

According to that Aoa guy there are 80,000 kt76a's still out there in operation.....

There's a lot of King equipment in panels out there. Most of that stuff was well built, sturdy and still working. A lot of it is being ripped out as panels are Garminized. Often the cheapest solution in the event of a failure is to find an identical King unit on the used market and slide it in as a replacement. Most of the common King avionics, transponders, DME, ADFs, can be picked up used (sometimes tagged) for a few hundred $ - less than the cost of fixing the one in the panel. A KX 155 radio commands a bit more.

I have difficulty imagining spending nearly 20 AMUs to buy and install a GTN navigator in a $55k airplane.

There's a lot of King equipment in panels out there. Most of that stuff was well built, sturdy and still working. A lot of it is being ripped out as panels are Garminized. Often the cheapest solution in the event of a failure is to find an identical King unit on the used market and slide it in as a replacement. Most of the common King avionics, transponders, DME, ADFs, can be picked up used (sometimes tagged) for a few hundred $ - less than the cost of fixing the one in the panel. A KX 155 radio commands a bit more.

I have difficulty imagining spending nearly 20 AMUs to buy and install a GTN navigator in a $55k airplane.

Exactly. I was doing 420nm bi weekly nonstop xc on a warrior II. All with an 89b, and skyradar puck wifid to an iPhone 4. /G all the way to include approach capability, and this was 4 years before I joined civilization and chucked the bootleg worldwide paper kit I had permanently strewn about the backseat that never once saw a passenger during my ownership tenure. That GPS was an amazing value and like Jeff, I too would replace the 89b with another one in order to save on the insane installation costs of avionics, if it had come to that (especially regarding the displays).

That was a 25-30k slow airplane, so upgrading avionics was an even bigger nonstarter for me. I did buy the arrow with the 430w and oem autopilot already installed, taking the discount on the cosmetics. otherwise no way I incur the cost of my existing suite on the airplane considering its hull value. The previous owners did that when people were high on their pre 2008 "borrowed affluence" and airplanes like mine were still selling for 70k. These days, no way. The problem is avionics and labor rates are indexed for installation on a 2017 cirrus, not our spam cans.

The way I read the list from BK, my "classic" (aka ancient, obsolete) pair of KX175Bs and KR85 are not affected by this new policy. The KLN90B, on the other hand, just became a throw-away if it ever acts up. The 175Bs are still doing just fine, but rather than try to repair them in the future I'd likely just swap 'em out for slide-in units from TKM just up the road here in Scottsdale.

Back