Electroair electronic ignition to replace one mag

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Does anyone have any experience with this? Supposedly by replacing one magneto (and leaving the other one in place for redundancy) you can get more power, higher speed, lower fuel burn and easier starts, especially hot starts.

Here is a link:
http://www.electroair.net/stc_ignition_kit2.html

comments?

I wish it would have been available for my Tampico under an STC instead of a field approval when I put new Magnetos and harness on my plane last year.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yup.

There are lots of ways to screw up timing advance, and the sensors have no redundancy, so you don't know. Not having a knock sensor is an error; the real strength is in advancing timing to, but not over, the detonation limit.

Are these compatible with autogas STCs? Id rather not have them if they invalidate that STC.

So, what happens if your electrical system goes up in smoke? You're running on a single mag?

Using that logic, would this EI system be something you would consider if a mag WAS broke, or if it was at EOL?

I'd really like to make hot starts easier. Usually it is not too much of a problem, unless there is some reason to get it started and moved quickly. Then it will refuse to start.

I had the predecessor to that EI on my RV-6 for 8 or so years. All of the data shows that, under certain conditions, you get more power per unit of fuel burned. The optimum conditions to take advantage of that are up high in cruise.

My experience was that when my unit died, Electroair was unable to fix it. The replacement part supply had dried up. Some day, that will be the case with the certified version too.

One funny (?) thing to note is that the Electroair ignition (the current one and the previous generation I owned) is the identical product to the Electromotive ignition sold by speed shops. The parts are identical, the manual is identical (Check the wiring diagrams - all they did was change the company name). Then, compare the price on the Electroair and the Electromotive and you'll see the difference between certified airplane parts and identical parts for the auto industry.

Being in the experimental world, I have an electronic ignition because I don't have to pay certified prices for one. If I was in the certified world, I probably wouldn't go that route because of up front costs (both parts and installation).

Last edited:
Using that logic, would this EI system be something you would consider if a mag WAS broke, or if it was at EOL?

I'd really like to make hot starts easier. Usually it is not too much of a problem, unless there is some reason to get it started and moved quickly. Then it will refuse to start.
Personally, I like the simple reliability of mags.

you can get more power, higher speed, lower fuel burn and easier starts, especially hot starts.

The engine shop I worked for ran a TIO-540 with the electroair system for four hours in a controlled test. They swapped to dual mags and repeated the test. Any difference of power and fuel burn was within the tolerance of the gauges.

Another 540 with a dual electroair system in a hombuilt came in for a propstrike inspection. The pilot was minding his own business when the engine went silent. No warning or indication of pending failure.

Most of the people you hear raving about the electronic systems have replaced an old mag on the verge of failure, so anything would have been an improvement.

We replaced a mag with an electroair in our 172; it works fine, seen some improvement in fuel efficiency, etc. Not a raving supporter, but content we did it.

I assisted an A&P rebuild a magneto (meaning I mostly watched) - that'll sober you right up, and make you loose the concept that a mag is "simple"; it's a case full of itty-bitty parts, many of which move. A lot. . .plenty of plastic doo-hickeys, and other knick-knacks of smallish size and failure potential. Whatever the virtues of mags are, simplicity ain't one of 'em.

Mags been around a long time, are well understood, and are pretty crude. My impression is they probably break as, or more, often than electronic ignitions.

I fly a Warrior with this system, saw no improvement in engine performance.

Outside of starts (hot and cold), when you read the details of the electroair comparisons they are with pilots who run ROP. If you are already running LOP, you will likely so minimal to no change in cruise. depending how aggressive you are with LOP operations you may also see some benefit in the takeoff and climb segments. (This info is from a few engine experts and also discussions with Electroair technical staff, I do not have the system).

Tim

I fly a Warrior with this system, saw no improvement in engine performance.

You are unlikely to see an increase in performance. You should see an improvement in economy.

Back