Best guide books for home builders?

N659HB

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pops
Looking for some suggestions. I'm interested in building either a Sonex or Waiex in the next five years or so. Can't afford a kit, so I'm thinking scratch-built from plans.

Two technical references that you should have if you are building an aluminum aircraft. Don't let the reference to "repairs" concern you. It's a good reference to deal with numerous situations you will come to as you build your plane.

AC43.13 Acceptable Methods, Techniques and Practices. This is an FAA document for non-pressurized aircraft. Don't let the reference to repairs bother you. There's a lot of good information on how to deal with numerous situations you will come to as you build your plane.
This advisory circular (AC) contains methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator for the inspection and repair of nonpressurized areas of civil aircraft, only when there are no manufacturer repair or maintenance instructions. This data generally pertains to minor repairs. The repairs identified in this AC may only be used as a basis for FAA approval for major repairs. The repair data may also be used as approved data, and the AC chapter, page, and paragraph listed in block 8 of FAA form 337 when:

a. the user has determined that it is appropriate to the product being repaired;

b. it is directly applicable to the repair being made; and

c. it is not contrary to manufacturer’s data.

And "Standard Aircraft Handbook" by Larry Reithmaier.

Last edited:
EAA was my first stop and the Bengelis books look good. Thanks for the confirmation. I also found an "experience" book on building, free to read with Kindle Unlimited, that I've begun.

For specific "how to" I use YouTube.

While the DVD's are for building the kit, HomeBuiltHelp has a series of DVD's for various kits including the Sonex group. I'm using the one for the Onex and find it very helpful in showing how parts go together and in what sequence. The DVD and the very good plans from Sonex have made the job pretty simple.

Even if you intend to scratch build, the DVD would be helpful.

www.HomeBuiltHelp.com

Cheers

Ron Wanttaja's book "Kit Airplane Construction" is a good overview. The Bingelis books offer more detail. Vansairforce.net has a lot of information if you use the search feature and if you can figure out who the real experts are.

Last edited:
Do consider buying a partially completed kit from someone who has decided it's too much work. You may find you'll get a kit for what a plans build airframe would cost.

Ran Wanttaja's book "Kit Airplane Construction" is a good overview.
Thanks for the plug. :)

I'll mention, too, that many public library systems carry my books. Checking out a copy will give you a good idea if you need your own.

Ron Wanttaja

Do consider buying a partially completed kit from someone who has decided it's too much work. You may find you'll get a kit for what a plans build airframe would cost.

That's what I did.

Good idea. I'm watching Barnstormers again. I think the Sonex would be a great XC VFR machine, but I'm also tempted by the Searey. Maybe I can do both! Anyone interested in trading for a spiffy 8A?

Just a heads up that only the a model sonex can be scratch built. The waiex and sonex b model plans only come with enough information to build the kit. They don't have the part dimensions needed to scratch built. Also, if you scratch build an a model you will truly have to scratch build. I don't think the company is carrying things like fuel tanks, cowls, and engine mounts for the a model anymore.

Keith

Just a heads up that only the a model sonex can be scratch built. The waiex and sonex b model plans only come with enough information to build the kit. They don't have the part dimensions needed to scratch built. Also, if you scratch build an a model you will truly have to scratch build. I don't think the company is carrying things like fuel tanks, cowls, and engine mounts for the a model anymore.

Keith

Thanks for the info. I recently saw a set of plans offered on Barnstormers, which got me started. Maybe I'll save up and look for partially built kits when the time is right.

Back