Revised ACS and IFR test supplement

tehmightypirate

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TehMightyPirate
So, I just saw that the FAA issued a revised test supplement and ACS for the instrument rating. I was going to sign up for Sheppard Air test prep but this seems like a waste now as the new supplement seems quite different than the old. I assume a lot of questions changed because of this.

Anyone think Sheppard Air is worth it if the questions changed?

At least they finally don't have burry images in the supplement.

Took the Knowledge IR test 3-4 weeks ago after doing the King Course. Did well - but I feel only because I learned the material and not the "questions". Sample tests with King had not caught up with new question bank and doubt Sheppard has yet either.
BTW - there was a recent rather lengthy and a bit contentious thread on just this issue a couple of weeks ago - I'm too lazy to search for it.

So, I just saw that the FAA issued a revised test supplement and ACS for the instrument rating. I was going to sign up for Sheppard Air test prep but this seems like a waste now as the new supplement seems quite different than the old. I assume a lot of questions changed because of this.

Anyone think Sheppard Air is worth it if the questions changed?

At least they finally don't have burry images in the supplement.
Sheppard Air is very responsive to both changes and queries such as yours. One of the best features of their business is the "no surprises" guarantee.

When I took the written 3 years ago, there many questions being changed and in flux. As such, there were frequent new updates. That told me that Sheppard Air was being as responsive as they could to improve their product as soon as a new wrinkle was discovered or announced.

I say call them and ask what might be in the works as a result of the changes, and when will it be ready for update/download.

I took the written (Instrument) in February of 2016. This is before all the ACS changes but after the FAA stopped publishing the questions.

Part of the test sign in process (I don't remember if it was electronic or written) is agreeing that you will not disclose the questions to anybody. (I realize they probably have no way to find out you did.) So nobody can legally get the current test questions. As a practical matter, they probably can over time. I'm not sure how that would work with Sheppard's model. But they should be able to tell you...

BTW - there was a recent rather lengthy and a bit contentious thread on just this issue a couple of weeks ago - I'm too lazy to search for it.

I feel I have a decent handle on the material, just wanted to give myself the best shot at it. I saw that thread a few weeks ago but if I recall that was talking about the test being changed not about the supplements or ACS being changed. The revision for those was both done in June 2017. My ultimate question is with the supplement being changed and the test questions being changed that it seems like Sheppard Air isn't nearly as useful as it was.

I say call them and ask what might be in the works as a result of the changes, and when will it be ready for update/download.

Great thought, I'll do that today.

Let us know what they say. I'll be using them for my CPL ...eventually...

Called Sheppard Air, they stated that the new IR supplement was released which added a bunch of new figures. However, they stated that the existing test was exactly the same as the one a month ago. So, Sheppard Air exam prep is still just as useful as ever; at least until the new exam questions take effect.

Thanks for the update.

Back