My father-in-law flipped out at me for taking my wife up during an Airmet Tango

MassPilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaPilot
I flew my wife and her friend to Nantucket yesterday in a C172. I checked the weather thoroughly as I always do and saw there was an Airmet Tango for the entire northeast U.S. for moderate turbulence below 10,000 feet. Of course this gave me pause, but I have flown in Airmet Tangos dozens of times and it's not an automatic no-go for me. The surface winds were forecasted around 12G22 for the departure airport and destination. I looked at the Graphical Turbulence Guidance on aviationweather.gov which showed the entire route of flight to be at the edge between light and moderate for my planned flight times both there and back. There were no sigmets, active or outlooks, and absolutely no convective activity forecasted in the region for that day. I spoke with 1-800-WX-BRIEF and there were no red flags.

I spoke to my wife and her friend and mentioned that there was a warning out for some turbulence but I didn't think it would be too bad. I told them it was not a safety issue, just a comfort issue, and we could turn around and land if they were uncomfortable or scrub the flight all together if that's what they wanted. It's about a 45 minute flight.

My wife decided to call her father for an opinion. He's a 767 airline captain with around 20,000 hours of experience. He learned to fly in the Air Force where be became a T38 instructor. I don't think he's ever been too comfortable with me flying his daughter, but never seemed too worried about it. We've always gotten along well and talk about flying all the time. He told her that it was extremely dangerous to go up in those kind of conditions and that moderate turbulence could easily go to severe and cause loss of control of the aircraft and/or structural damage. He said he's seen forecasted moderate go to severe many times. I spoke to him and got him to admit that it was up in the flight levels with jet streams in excess of 100 knots, not the 4500/5500 feet altitudes I'd be at. He was still adamant that it was suicide for us to go (he's often over-dramatic).

We decided to drive the 40 minutes to the airport and decide there. We got to the airport and forecasts are the same. There are a few pireps along the route for negative turbulence. I spoke with two CFI's that just landed and they said it was smooth up there. We decided to go. We hit one bump the entire flight. It was smooth as can be otherwise. We landed in Nantucket and I texted my father-in-law that we hit one bump and it was a very nice flight. He responded with "Great. Sometimes a sigmet warns of severe turbulence and you get no bumps. I think it was a very foolish decision and for somebody who has as little flying time as you, I'm very surprised. To me it shows very poor judgement... you're a risk-taker. If the airmet had moderate turbulence, I wouldn't have gone, but that's your decision. Quite frankly I think it was an unnecessary risk. As your father-in-law, that deeply cares about you and my daughter, I now have to wonder what other judgment calls you will make in order to do what you want to do based on emotion instead of removing emotion and doing what is right... safe flight home....".

I ignored him and we all had a nice day in Nantucket. We flew home that evening and it was perfectly smooth the whole flight home (despite the Airmet Tango still in effect) until we hit some mechanical turbulence below 1000 AGL on the approach going home, and it was nothing to write home about.

Later that night he sent a number of texts to my wife that we're lucky we survived and we easily could have ended up in severe turbulance. He told her that she should never fly with me again and if that if I'm going to continue to fly that I better make sure I have good life insurance. He went on and on and really upset her.

I always take my go/no-go decision very seriously, especially with passengers. I have cancelled many many flights due to weather and don't hesitate too when I'm not comfortable with the conditions even when I really want to go. I've even cancelled flights over turbulence before when the indications were there that it would be uncomfortable.

I never saw yesterday's go decision as a safety issue, just a comfort issue. I think my wife believes me that I made a reasonable decision to go and that her father is just being overprotective and over-dramatic. What do you guys think? Did I make a stupid decision or is my father-in-law being ridiculous, or something in between?

I know a couple guys who fly jets with the "I'm right, know everything, you can't change my mind attitude". You were pilot in command, you make an aware go no go decision. Nothing wrong with that.

I think you need to sit down with him and talk it through. Does he fly GA any more? I flew to KPVC yesterday, and the winds were more a concern than the turbulence, but it was a judgement call based on your skill and airplane.

You got pireps, and moderate turbulence while unpleasant is rarely dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you need to sit down with him and talk it through. Does he fly GA any more? I flew to KPVC yesterday, and the winds were more a concern than the turbulence, but it was a judgement call based on your skill and airplane.

You got pireps, and moderate turbulence while unpleasant is rarely dangerous.

He's never flown GA in his life.

The winds were almost perfectly lined up with both runways I landed on yesterday.

That's the issue, he has no idea. Go get your commercial certificate. Will make you a better pilot, will make him feel better or **** him off, either way a win.

I was referring more to the gusts with the winds yesterday.

Take him flying during airmet Tango next time.
He's made it clear before that he would never get in one of those little planes again. He learned to fly in an Air Force C172 trainer decades ago and quickly moved up to jets.

@MassPilot you made the call based on every piece of information you had available. You may want to mention that you checked with multiple sources including FSS and two pilots that were actually UP in it.

A DPE once asked me on a checkride, if an ATIS was indicating 1/2 SM visibility at an airport, but it was bright and sunny out with no clouds in the sky would you scrub your flight based on that ONE piece of information?

Answer was: No.

20,000 hours does not an expert make.

I've been walking for over 300K hours and I still trip sometimes.

Typical in-law guilt tripping. You made a decision based on all the information and hey..it turned out ok. :)

I've never canceled a flight for a turbulence airmet and have yet to encounter anything more exciting than a little uncomfortable pitching and yawing... usually it is like the flight you describe- smooth.

Wow that's a little bizarre. Arizona pretty much has a permanent Airmet Tango during the summer lol. So unless you don't fly in the summer...your gonna be flying in some turbulence.

@MassPilot you made the call based on every piece of information you had available. You may want to mention that you checked with multiple sources including FSS and two pilots that were actually UP in it.

A DPE once asked me on a checkride, if an ATIS was indicating 1/2 SM visibility at an airport, but it was bright and sunny out with no clouds in the sky would you scrub your flight based on that ONE piece of information?

Answer was: No.

20,000 hours does not an expert make.

I've been walking for over 300K hours and I still trip sometimes.

Typical in-law guilt tripping. You made a decision based on all the information and hey..it turned out ok. :)

20,000 and how many are with the autopilot off. Some of those jetliner guys have less "without autopilot" time than a lot of us own planes fly for self guys

I flew my wife and 6 yr old in the exact same conditions this weekend in our 182. We had the same conversation beforehand about it being more of a comfort than safety issue. The flight to our destination was smooth. Coming home was a little rough through sections but noting that scared anybody. We had 40-45 knots on the nose pretty much the whole way home at 10,500.

If it were me, I would tell my father inlaw to pound sand....but that's just me. He's probably just jealous. I would absolutely make the same decision to go again. Sounds to me like you and your wife made the right call

I fly in Airmet Tangos all the time...including yesterday. Would never scrub a flight on that factor alone. It is just ONE piece of information in making a comprehensive sound go/no go decision.

Sounds like his issue is bigger then a few bumps in the sky.

thats frustrating... as a still-very-new pilot, I tend to be very conservative with my go/no-go decisions, but as long as you are comfortable with the decision and your passengers are aware of the situation, then I wouldn't worry about what other people think about your decision making.

(ok, I know, super high time father-in-law... )

This goes well with the other thread about the yellow arc. Did you stay in the green, or get into the yellow?

I'm pretty wimpy about the bumps and I slow down much more and much sooner than other guys I've flown with. Even so, I'd still have taken the trip, just slower than planned.

This goes well with the other thread about the yellow arc. Did you stay in the green, or get into the yellow?

I'm pretty wimpy about the bumps and I slow down much more and much sooner than other guys I've flown with. Even so, I'd still have taken the trip, just slower than planned.

Yea I am a real wimp about bumps too and always slow down way more than I need to. My instructor used to kind of laugh at me because I always pulled the throttle back at any sign of bumps haha...although I am getting better about it. Maneuvering speed in the Cherokee is 129 MPH which is basically full throttle so you almost don't even need to ever pull back.

... He responded with "Great. Sometimes a sigmet warns of severe turbulence and you get no bumps. I think it was a very foolish decision and for somebody who has as little flying time as you, I'm very surprised. To me it shows very poor judgement... you're a risk-taker. If the airmet had moderate turbulence, I wouldn't have gone, but that's your decision. Quite frankly I think it was an unnecessary risk. As your father-in-law, that deeply cares about you and my daughter, I now have to wonder what other judgment calls you will make in order to do what you want to do based on emotion instead of removing emotion and doing what is right... safe flight home...." ....

That's not a normal response. It reads OK, but if you dig deeper, it's accusative: "you're a risk taker". It's manipulative, with the "deeply cares" crap. There definitely barely constrained control issues in there. My first gut reaction to this is that this actually has nothing to do with your flight.

There's turbulence ahead, but it's not of the airborne variety...

20,000 and how many are with the autopilot off. Some of those jetliner guys have less "without autopilot" time than a lot of us own planes fly for self guys

Frankly, with that kind of attitude I don't think I'd want to fly in an airplane with your father-in-law as PIC.

Wasn't there a post around here someplace from a CFI that feared flying with high time airline folks for single engine proficiency? I'm not knocking those guys but if you can't compare apples and bananas like that FiL did.

Airmet Zulu's are also bad, but when they are for the upper FL's it doesn't necessarily affect a C172 at 3K on a crisp winter day. What about a temporary Airmet Sierra?

Choosing to fly if one of these pops up really is the PIC's call. Consider all the facts, and go or don't. Does your FiL fly anymore? Maybe you can text him when makes a judgement call that is questionable and tell him you are really disappointed in him risking the lives of 150+ people.

That's not a normal response. It reads OK, but if you dig deeper, it's accusative: "you're a risk taker". It's manipulative, with the "deeply cares" crap. There definitely barely constrained control issues in there. My first gut reaction to this is that this actually has nothing to do with your flight.

There's turbulence ahead, but it's not of the airborne variety...

That was my thought too. Either that or he has some surprisingly inaccurate ideas about turbulence airmets/light aircraft.

He was way out of line making your wife upset by lying to her...that would **** me off the most. I haven't taken my wife up yet (she's a little apprehensive), but she's open to it. I would be livid if one of her parents said that crap to her.

If he is unwilling to fly with you or in a small GA aircraft, he has no right to comment as he has little relevant expertise.

Tell him he can buy you something with two turbine engines and pay the training and maintenance - King Air 90 would do - but until then the FAA has blessed your flying that 172, and that's the end of it.

Must be a Delta pilot they are always complaining about chop. I don't know the guy but he sounds like the typical know it all airline douche. How is he to deal with outside of aviation?
Man you beat me to it. He has to work for delta :cornut:

You're father in law is full of ****....this time. I'm an atp rated pilot with airline experience but have always been active in GA. You did exactly what you should have done. Review all the data and make an appropriate decision.

Don't let this interfere with your relationship with him though, he still has lots of experience for you to learn from. Just have to separate the good info from his egotistical ranting

Seems like there is a mixture of airline guys...some still love GA and others don't have any interest and act like GA planes are nothing but death traps. Kind of surprising.
This. He would have had the same opinion even if it wasn't his daughter you were taking up.

He's made it clear before that he would never get in one of those little planes again. He learned to fly in an Air Force C172 trainer decades ago and quickly moved up to jets.

Academy guy eh? Those guys are wound a little too tight. Normal AF pilots started in the T-37 and then to the T-38. None of my business but since you brought it up...is your wife defending you in her texts in response to him if any? If not, you have two problems. Just sayin....

Last edited:
When a 20,000 hr bus driver gets shown up by his GA-flying SIL, the man's gotta do something. He can't take that kind of aeronautical insult without firing back like a 7th grade girl. He pretty much Unfriended you on Lifebook, dude! I'd say you oughta bang the living bejeebus out of his daughter tonight to show the man who's really in charge.

Academy guy eh? Those guys are wound a little too tight. Normal AF pilots started in the T-37 and then to the T-38. None of my business but since you brought it up...is your wife defending you in her texts in response to him if any? If not, you have two problems. Just sayin....

Women tend to choose family over their spouse...at least from what I've seen

Must be a Delta pilot they are always complaining about chop. I don't know the guy but he sounds like the typical know it all airline douche. How is he to deal with outside of aviation?
Yup, he's a Delta pilot. Outside of this incident he's usually very nice to me and we get along very well. He tells me all the time what a great guy I am and we talk about flying regularly. I thought we had a very good relationship. I hope this doesn't ruin it.

Women tend to choose family over their spouse...at least from what I've seen
She's taking my side for the most part. She defended me and my decision. She did say she never wants to fly again in forecasted moderate turbulence so I guess he won that battle...

Yup, he's a Delta pilot. Outside of this incident he's usually very nice to me and we get along very well. He tells me all the time what a great guy I am and we talk about flying regularly. I thought we had a very good relationship. I hope this doesn't ruin it.

He would probably feel safer if you flew a Cirrus. He's making the big bucks at Delta maybe he can buy you one for Father's Day!!

No, he did officer candidate school after college. He says he learned to fly in an Air Force T-41 which is a C172. He said that he only flew that aircraft briefly. I'm not sure if he went straight to the T-38 or flew something in between.

Back