Buying C182P

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
A piece of one actually. It's 1973. What should I be looking for? I'll get a prebuy before buying in, but why "buy" a prebuy if I find something first that says "run?"

On the "P" model, the wing is on top. If it's anywhere else, run!

The P's and Q's are honest airplanes and a bit of a sweet spot of the 182 line.

Things to have on your inspection list

When where the fuel bladders last changed. They have about a 10-year lifespan, and about $5,000-$7,500 to replace depending on shop.

Engine inspection. Compression numbers are easy to obtain, but borescope images are going to tell the complete story.

When was the prop last dynamically balanced? 55WB that @JCranford and I fly had it done 8 weeks ago andit made a huge difference. The slight out of balance caused premature wear in the engine mounts. And check the engine mount condition too.

Does the aircraft posses the Trolltune gross weight increase? This is a paperwork only thing that ups your MTOW an additional 150 lbs. www.182stc.com

Can the seller produce the oil analysis records. This, in addition to other inspection items, can provide detail,about the health of the engine.

Only other items I can add is the thorough logbook review for AD compliance and items that are recurring a bit too often, and a thorough inside the structure inspection for corrosion.

If the one you have your eye on works out, you will be getting something that can serve you well for a long time.

All 182s are nose heavy and prone to fire wall damage. Ask if any repairs of that sort were done?
Look at the cowl / fire wall area and see if there is a distortion / buckle?
Ask the owner how he / she feels about over square, depending on the engine some do not take well to that, regardless of what manufacturers and other users say. I've seen more having problems with the Tops when run over square.
Look for filiform oxidation in the tail section, and any where else you can get to. Ask where the bird was located during it's life, dry, school, hangared....
Find out how old the Fuel tanks / bladders are, and look for leaks, if the bird is real clean take it up for a ride and look under wings after a good flight.
In general 182s, of any year are Great birds, I like the Ps myself, if you can get one with 300 ponies you can go just about any where you want. Good luck.

If it has an original navomatic autopilot like many P models, plan to take it out and burn it with prejudice.

If it has an original navomatic autopilot like many P models, plan to take it out and burn it with prejudice.
If you get one with the Chelton AP, John and I want photographic proof.... we're starting to think we have the only one of those AP's in the fleet. Good unit, but no one supports it.

FYI, while the "nose heavy" comment is true, most of the damage is happening because the pilot isn't trimming correctly during final and flare and ignoring proper landing speeds. Doing both of those correctly and judicious timing of full flaps and 55WB pretty much lands itself.

Where are you located and can you buy mogas?

P's can get the mogas STC. Q's cannot.

FYI, while the "nose heavy" comment is true, most of the damage is happening because the pilot isn't trimming correctly during final and flare and ignoring proper landing speeds. Doing both of those correctly and judicious timing of full flaps and 55WB pretty much lands itself.

I agree, it's pilot error / poor training that causes the problem. In addition during go around / stop / touch and go, especially when using full flaps, it's very important that the flaps are properly used / retracted. Applying full power, with full flaps and trimmed for landing, in a go around can overpower some individuals. This is Not the only bird that does that, but you have to experience it, get trained properly, and be aware.

When where the fuel bladders last changed. They have about a 10-year lifespan, and about $5,000-$7,500 to replace depending on shop.

errr...if anyone is getting charged $5k for bladder replacement you need to find a new shop that is not ripping you off. My 182P was $1200 installed for one new bladder. It was a non issue for me an knowing what i know now I would gladly replace two bladders if it was a nicely equipped bird. That should not be a deal breaker, just a pricing factor.

Blue stains anywhere will be an strong indication a bladder will be needin repacin, even around the sumps which could easily be misdiagnosed as a leaky sump.

Last edited:
errr...if anyone is getting charged $5k for bladder replacement you need to find a new shop that is not ripping you off. My 182P was $1200 installed for one new bladder. It was a non issue for me an knowing what i know now I would gladly replace two bladders if it was a nicely equipped bird. That should not be a deal breaker, just a pricing factor.

Blue stains anywhere will be an strong indication a bladder will be needin repacin, even around the sumps which could easily be misdiagnosed as a leaky sump.

I was totally guessing on cost... for real number, our money guy @texasag93 can answer.

When was the prop last dynamically balanced? 55WB that @JCranford and I fly had it done 8 weeks ago andit made a huge difference. The slight out of balance caused premature wear in the engine mounts. And check the engine mount condition too.

Even on my Skyhawk, best $250 I ever spent was the dynamic balance. My mechanic suggested it after the alternator bracket broke. I didn't know it could run that smooth.

:yeahthat:
We just had one replaced for ~$1500. The stains looked like this.

:yeahthat:
We just had one replaced for ~$1500. The stains looked like this.
I think it was about the same cost in my Q 4 years ago.
I think corrosion has been mentioned, pretty honest airplanes, the "P" has a lower TBO than the Q, but it also can burn mogas! I realize the TBO is just a number, but buyers will tell you different!!

Thanks for the input everyone. If the club accepts my tentative offer I'll give it a good walk around and go through the logs page by page looking for trends. I'll talk with the other members about flying the plane and see if it looks any of them have been abusing it with bad techniques. I have found out one of them struck the prop and bent the firewall 10 years ago.

55WB was about $4k for both bladders. I do not have the paperwork with me.

I looked up 55WB. You guys have a good club going. Just curious, what are membership buyins going for?

I looked up 55WB. You guys have a good club going. Just curious, what are membership buyins going for?

They sell for whatever they sell for. Generally around $5k.

$300 a month and $110 an hour wet for 55WB. $130 for 149G.

I never flown in a Cessna 182, (Just Pipers and C172's). But I hear a lot about 182. Is there a book I can read about the differences in performance..etc? Thanks

Back