Another what plane thread

JBrown243

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Im looking to get another plane. I used to own a 260 Comanche and I loved it. It fit the mission perfectly however being an airplane no longer being produced had its issued with maintenance cost and eventually I was not flying enough to justify keeping it. Now I'm ready for another go at it but with something less of a money pit. (I know all planes are money pits.)

Mission
Cross country cruiser
400nm range with 600lbs payload (3 people + baggage)
110kts or better at 65% power
Low wing preferred

I was looking into Cherokee 235, beach sierra c24r, 70's archer
maybe Tiger or Pacer (3 people no bags and not full fuel)

Really leaning towards the 235 but if i could do the same thing with a archer and use less fuel I would. Any Ideas or suggestions?

Archer will do the trick nicely.

Agree with archer. Just don't forget, you're the one who said 110kts is fine!

The archer will work,if speed is not a priority. The gas foe a 235 can get costly..

Any one with and Archer or Tiger able to give me a realistic idea of cruise speeds and fuel burns? Can you really achieve POH numbers?

Any one with and Archer or Tiger able to give me a realistic idea of cruise speeds and fuel burns? Can you really achieve POH numbers?
Poh numbers yes. Real world numbers. Flew from Everett, wa to kfar. Little over 12 hrs, 4 stops. We averaged around 7.5 gal per hour running at 55-60% power. Speed 90-100 kts. My tach needs OH, and shows 200 rpm less hence when we were at 2300, it was actually at 2100 and so on. My typical train ing flights are 1.5 hrs Hobbs, flinging around 90-100 kts I burn around 7-8 gal. I will have more numbers when I get her back from annual and fly instead of standing in front of the plane and wishing I was flying

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On my Archer II I have found planning at 117kts is about dead on. I usually run at 60-75% power and plan 10gph fuel burn, again usually dead on.

On my Archer II I have found planning at 117kts is about dead on. I usually run at 60-75% power and plan 10gph fuel burn, again usually dead on.

:yeahthat:

These are similar numbers to what I recall for my Hershey-bar 180.

I replaced the 180 with a 200 hp Arrow, and then replaced that with a 235. Of the four Cherokee derivatives I've owned the 235 was the one I preferred. I do not like the way Hershey-bar wing Cherokees fly as you load them near gross. Could be the tapervwings are better - I don't have enough time in them under high load conditions to judge.

I became addicted to the higher useful load of the 235 and the margin it gave me over the same payload in the earlier Cherokees I owned.

With a stated mission of 3 (which is not to be confused with 2+1), I couldn't recommend the 235, unless it's a '73-'77 (there was no '78). Not sure the premium for taper wing (Dakota, aka '79 and newer) is worth it, and I previously owned a Warrior II and loved the taper wing versus my current ride ('74 Arrow II) mind you.

I hear your complaint regarding the comanche. Recognize that assessment of its mx cost relative to your current proposed airplanes is considered fighting words around some circles on here. Be that as it may, shameless plug here, do give some consideration to the Arrow II (by its designation it's the stretched arrow, and started production in 1972). It retains the maintenance simplicity of the PA28 series over the PA24, with a superior retract system to the comanche in cost and mx-simplicity imo, while giving you circa 15 knots faster cruise speed than an Archer II for the same gas.

400NM is a sweet spot for this aircraft too, with 48 gallons usable at 9gph. I can do 585NM no wind on mine with IFR reserves, my useful is 968#. They can no kidding be had cheaper than Archers, which I find suffer from cult pricing. A byproduct of that dynamic is the discount the Arrow enjoys imo.

So for my money you should go with the '73+ PA28-235. Or the Arrow II. I wouldn't bother with a Tiger or an Archer, but they're fine too for the stated mission. Forget about the six banger retracts then, if the "comanche mx" gave you heartburn in the past.

Back