Tell me about Decathalon's

Warlock

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Warlock
Myself and a couple of guys purchased it and I still have not flown it..comes out of annual today...about 850 hrs and really pristine condition...straight 150 hp with a fixed pitch prop.
upload_2017-6-6_13-55-45.png

They're a lot of fun. What else would you like to know?

Do you already have tailwheel experience?

I flew 150HP Decathlon for 350 hours. I loved it, but 180HP Super Decathlon would have been nice. You'll find it a bit anemic on a hot day. You'll also have to fly it with half fuel for two-up aerobatics. I'm jealous... been thinking about getting one myself!

Oh, and keep it at 80 on final and it's a very easy plane to land. Get spin training from someone with experience in a Decathlon. The first two turns are incipient, by the third it tightens up a lot and can get interesting.

Only in an AH-64...and that does not count...

We have one I use for training in AZ, what are you planning on using the plane for.

Great airplane, loads of fun!

Any of the ACA line of aircraft are great to learn tailwheel in. You're gonna have a blast my friend.

I'd love to have a Citabria or Decathlon someday, nice airplanes.

We have one I use for training in AZ, what are you planning on using the plane for.

Tailwheel endorsement...upset recovery training...maybe some light acro but frankly not really worried about that...just fun flying. I have my Arrow to travel in and a backup Warrior in lease back so plenty of airframes to fly.

Hey Warlock, why don't you make the hop over to Columbia this Friday/Saturday for the annual West Coast Fly-In where both this ACA and the Bellanca group get together. It's a nice event and not very far from you - if you don't feel up to flying, make the drive. Maybe I'll see you there!

that's a California picture but I am in Texas but sounds like fun...this is in the hanger...fell in love with the chrome prop
GetFileAttachment

Never flown a 150hp Decathlon, but I have a 180hp Super Decathlon. I predict you will have a blast. Though it doesn't have flaps, if you pull the power to idle on final and slip it hard it it comes down like an elevator. I like 75 mph for speed on final when I'm doing three point landings, 80mph for wheel landings. You'll figure out what works for you. You'll have to adjust to the view out the windscreen. You are used to the sight picture of sitting off to the side. Now, you'll be in the center of the airplane. Steep turns to the left will look the same as steep turns to the right. Straight down the runway means the bar in the center of the windscreen is right on the stripe. If you keep the nose straight on landing, it's very tame. Have fun!

Hey Warlock, why don't you make the hop over to Columbia this Friday/Saturday for the annual West Coast Fly-In where both this ACA and the Bellanca group get together. It's a nice event and not very far from you - if you don't feel up to flying, make the drive. Maybe I'll see you there!

Here's a link to more info on the West Coast Fly-in.
http://www.bellanca-championclub.com/WC2016upcoming.html

I'm planning to be there assuming Dan is able to get my annual finished by tomorrow...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got my tailwheel and introduction to aerobatics on Long Island in a 180hp Super D. Prior to that, I "thought" I was having fun in Cessnas and Pipers ;).

Took me a little while to get my brain to tell my hand to push the stick forward during wheel-landings, lol.

With that rudder, forward slips are a blast!
Enjoy!

Last edited:
I did my tail wheel endorsement in a Super Decathlon (180 HP). Also did a wee bit of acro in it. That was several years ago but it was a blast. I plan on doing more of the same soon at an airport near where I live now.

I'm surprised though that you bought one without ever having flown one. Good look though and have fun.

A Citabria is on my short list of airplanes to buy though I wouldn't mind a Decathlon as well.

By the way, the plural of Decathlon is Decathlons without an apostrophe.

The local club has an Xtreme Decathlon on the line. I want to fly it.

Fun airplane but a bit anemic with the fixed pitch and 150 hp. Nice do it all airplane but would recommend upgrading to the constant speed if you can.

Decathlons and citabrias are great aircraft. Ive done aerobatics in a couple of them and find them very easy and fun to fly. Great for just sightseeing as well. I find tandem gives everyone a little personal space but you can still see one another easily.

Flew in one with a retired fighter pilot, the way he flew it you couldn't have told him it wasn't F-16.

Back