Scheyden Watch

Let's see, massive ferrous enclosure, magnetic compass. What could go wrong here?

For $3000?! If you're already paying that kind of money, just get the Breitling Chronograph with the second time zone thing in the band and be done with it.

IMG_0366.PNG

Found the Breitling on EBay for $1200. If anyone was thinking about the first watch, buy this one, and PM me for the address to send the $1800 I just saved you.

For $3000?! If you're already paying that kind of money, just get the Breitling Chronograph with the second time zone thing in the band and be done with it.

And while you're at it, get a matching grill.

lil+wayne.jpg

This is driving me crazy now. Can anyone recall the name of the watch is that featured in those United Hemispheres Magazine advertisements? Steinhauer or something? They also have ads for fake pearls and jewelry. (Frequent fliers HAVE to know this add).

I only bring it up because I'd love to find the ad for their "sport" watch and share it here. It's good for a laugh.

It's basically a little narrative of some guy sitting in a coffee shop "minding his own business" when "Mr. Hotshot" pulls up in a Lambo wearing "one of those expensive designer watches". The coffee guy gets Mr. Hotshot's attention and cooley points to his own wrist to reveal his (3 easy payments of) $53 Steinhauer sport watch. Of course, Mr. Hotshot nods in approval "acknowledging that they are in the same elite club." Coffee man then tells Hotshot that his watch is a Steinheaur which apparently knocks Mr.Hotshot clean off his rocker (he retreats, a broken man back to his Lambo) leaving our Protagonist to enjoy his nice cup of smugness in peace.

View attachment 54074

Found the Breitling on EBay for $1200. If anyone was thinking about the first watch, buy this one, and PM me for the address to send the $1800 I just saved you.
My friend has a Breitling. He can't get the battery changed locally. Every few years he has to send it to Breitling for a $1,000 service (it includes the battery change). It will be the best $1,200 you will spend, again and again and again...

For under a hundred bucks, you can go to a certain section of Hong Kong and obtain a knock-off Rolex which looks and feels like the real thing, unless you really know what you are looking at.

Well, if you already happen to be in Hong Kong I guess. Otherwise you would need to tack on a couple grand.

I guess you're never going to be a "True Aviator"
A "True Aviator"? For that, I think it takes THIS watch:

"That watch was made for pilots."

"But...we *are* pilots!"

"No. You're not. There are no real pilots any more. Just people in nifty uniforms who operate computers."

Ron Wanttaja

I need a local and zulu time, day, month, year, a stop watch and a 360 degree bezel. Let me know if you find one.

My friend has a Breitling. He can't get the battery changed locally. Every few years he has to send it to Breitling for a $1,000 service (it includes the battery change). It will be the best $1,200 you will spend, again and again and again...

Hmm, not sure what he's doing wrong. Breitling battery changes when done by Breitling are $0-120. And yes, a normal watchmaker can change it, no need to send it to Breitling.

Hmm, not sure what he's doing wrong. Breitling battery changes when done by Breitling are $0-120. And yes, a normal watchmaker can change it, no need to send it to Breitling.
Just going by what he said. I've known him to send it back twice. Local Breitling dealer won't change it I guess. He also said factory wants to do a full service. My last Movado battery change was $5, so not my issue. I am thinking about picking up the new Garmin Fenix 5 (no aviation version yet), but I will probably get the sapphire model. It is hard to spring for $800 for a sport watch, though.

Just going by what he said. I've known him to send it back twice. Local Breitling dealer won't change it I guess. He also said factory wants to do a full service. My last Movado battery change was $5, so not my issue. I am thinking about picking up the new Garmin Fenix 5 (no aviation version yet), but I will probably get the sapphire model. It is hard to spring for $800 for a sport watch, though.

I've owned quite a few quartz Breitlings and have had batteries replaced on them, it's no big deal, your cornershop battery changer can change the battery but won't be able to guarantee waterproofness after the replacement, but any reputable watchmaker can.
Most Breitling dealers don't have on-site watchmakers so not surprised they can't help, he needs to find a local independent watchmaker.
Quartz Breitlings use stock chronometer-grade ETA movements, a full service runs $200-300 on them.

I'm rather fond of my $30 Timex. Push the side button, dial lights up for night flying.

I'm afraid that thing would put me over the weight limit in a light sport....

For under a hundred bucks, you can go to a certain section of Hong Kong and obtain a knock-off Rolex which looks and feels like the real thing, unless you really know what you are looking at.

Well, if you already happen to be in Hong Kong I guess. Otherwise you would need to tack on a couple grand.

I have a Breitling version of one of those HK watches. They even weight the case (spent uranium?) to give it the hefty feel of the real thing. Keeps better time than my mechanical Rolex. Wondering if I have to send it to Breitling to get the battery changed though. o_O

As goofy as he was over that chick, he's gonna need that watch to be shock resistant later.

(depending on which arm he wears it on)

I've owned quite a few quartz Breitlings and have had batteries replaced on them, it's no big deal, your cornershop battery changer can change the battery but won't be able to guarantee waterproofness after the replacement, but any reputable watchmaker can.
Most Breitling dealers don't have on-site watchmakers so not surprised they can't help, he needs to find a local independent watchmaker.
Quartz Breitlings use stock chronometer-grade ETA movements, a full service runs $200-300 on them.
He apparently follows the program (I am not surprised, you would want to buy a plane from this guy). https://www.breitling.com/multimedia/pdf/sav/sav-894.pdf
His in in for service now and he said it was $1k. That could be approximate, but here is a thread where someone was shocked at a similar quote http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg&th=2320337&rid=12189#msg_7361013
Apparently, there are options to the factory program, which you have discovered, which would make TCO on a Breitling more affordable to the unwashed masses.

He apparently follows the program (I am not surprised, you would want to buy a plane from this guy). https://www.breitling.com/multimedia/pdf/sav/sav-894.pdf
His in in for service now and he said it was $1k. That could be approximate, but here is a thread where someone was shocked at a similar quote http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg&th=2320337&rid=12189#msg_7361013
Apparently, there are options to the factory program, which you have discovered, which would make TCO on a Breitling more affordable to the unwashed masses.

Factory servicing is always the most expensive choice - Breitling is actually one of the cheaper ones. The factory maintenance programs are always way over the top, but some people are happy to pay for the peace of mind that comes with it.
I sold my previous Audemars Piguet after a $3k service bill. That hurt.

Or, you can go to Ephesus (Turkey) and get whatever you want. They aren't shy about what they are, either. :)

Attachments

• DSC09563.JPG
    DSC09563.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 28
Back