Flying Club and FBO Acceptance of BasicMed

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
It's all about the insurance. What I've been seeing, all the insurance companies are treating basicmed the same as a 3rd class

Correct. If it is being viewed as third class by the insurance companies, why wouldn't FBOs and clubs accept it?

It's all about the insurance. What I've been seeing, all the insurance companies are treating basicmed the same as a 3rd class

I would expect the insurers to at least start tracking data. Don't be surprised to see a question asking if all the insureds have a medical certificate as policies come up for renewal.

What if you had a three way partnership in a Cub or Champ or other light sport eligible aircraft and one partner was a PP with a third class, one was a PP with basic med and the third a SP using his driver license. Would that blow your insurance broker's mind? Would the policy have higher premiums than if all three were PP with a third class? My understanding is no.

I would expect the insurers to at least start tracking data. Don't be surprised to see a question asking if all the insureds have a medical certificate as policies come up for renewal.
My insurance renewal questionnaire asks that question. When I asked whether BasicMed would qualify as a medical certificate, the answer was yes. They only want to know the date of the exam. They don't distinguish between a 3rd class and BasicMed. So how are they going to track medical certificates if they don't draw the distinction?

My insurance renewal questionnaire asks that question. When I asked whether BasicMed would qualify as a medical certificate, the answer was yes. They only want to know the date of the exam. They don't distinguish between a 3rd class and BasicMed. So how are they going to track medical certificates if they don't draw the distinction?

No one has paid a sizable liability claim involving a basic med insured yet. Give it time.

Agreed - if and when that happens, they will undoubtedly take a closer look at the different populations. As of yet though, they (or at least USAIG) don't seem to be.

Are there examples of massive liability payouts for 3rd class medicals? Firet you need to have an accident caused by a medical issue that could have been foreseen and prevented up yo four yesrs earlier. I think it's been established that this doesn't happen often.
Jon

No one has paid a sizable liability claim involving a basic med insured yet. Give it time.
Well, I'm sure that has already happened with a third class insured a few times by now, and they're still insuring those folks. Why would you expect it to be any different with BasicMed insureds?

I would expect them to keep track, not to deny coverage to BasicMed pilots, but to set premiums. But then the question becomes, is there a premium difference between 3rd class and Sport?

I saw that West Valley accepted them. As a leaseback owner and a pilot, that's something I can definitely get behind.

@Palmpilot , are you with WVFC as well? Do you fly my plane? Love to hear your opinion on it.

I saw that West Valley accepted them. As a leaseback owner and a pilot, that's something I can definitely get behind.

@Palmpilot , are you with WVFC as well? Do you fly my plane? Love to hear your opinion on it.
I fly at both West Valley and Sundance. I'm currently exercising sport pilot privileges, so no 172 flying until I get my BasicMed signoff.

The challenge to flying clubs and rental ops is that there is no government issued document certifying that a pilot is good to go under basic med. A pilot has to have a doc sign off, and he/she must pass the online quiz, but aside from the printed form that says you passed the quiz, there is nothing more. Flying clubs and rental operations need to think about how to CYA, because as soon as there is an accident, the insurance company will always ask for a copy of the pilot certificate and current medical. If the policy holder cannot produce a medical because the pilot said he was operating under Basic Med, then things could get complicated.

The challenge to flying clubs and rental ops is that there is no government issued document certifying that a pilot is good to go under basic med. A pilot has to have a doc sign off, and he/she must pass the online quiz, but aside from the printed form that says you passed the quiz, there is nothing more. Flying clubs and rental operations need to think about how to CYA, because as soon as there is an accident, the insurance company will always ask for a copy of the pilot certificate and current medical. If the policy holder cannot produce a medical because the pilot said he was operating under Basic Med, then things could get complicated.

Not saying you're wrong, but there are several situations like that and it seems to work. Currency? That's only in the logbook. Endorsements? Only in the logbook and pretty easy to fake. All the things that go into Basic Med do have a paper trail, it's just one that isn't easy for a club to see. An investigator, on the other hand, has better tools.

The way West Valley is handling that is by getting a copy of the signature page of the member's medical form, and a copy of the certificate of completion of the online course. It seem like a very sensible way to handle it, and given the way the club does things, I think it's a sure thing that they have consulted their insurance company about this.

Also, I think I heard that your BasicMed status will be available on the FAA Web site the same as medical certificate info. I know for sure that the name and license number of the doctor who signed you off gets sent to the FAA when you take the online course, because it says so in the FAA's online FAQ.

Last edited:
The way West Valley is handling that is by getting a copy of the signature page of the member's medical form, and a copy of the certificate of completion of the online course. It seem like a very sensible way to handle it, and given the way the club does things, I think it's a sure thing that they have consulted their insurance company about this.
:thumbsup:

This is also what the TSA does for vetting purposes if a pilot flying under BasicMed needs to fly into the DC FRZ. I think that if it's good enough for the Feds, it should be good enough for a flying club.

:thumbsup:

This is also what the TSA does for vetting purposes if a pilot flying under BasicMed needs to fly into the DC FRZ. I think that if it's good enough for the Feds, it should be good enough for a flying club.
I imagine that asking for only the signature page of the checklist avoids possible HIPAA obligations to protect members' confidential medical information.

I imagine that asking for only the signature page of the checklist avoids possible HIPAA obligations to protect members' confidential medical information.
If they asked for more, I couldn't even provide it. I didn't make a copy of my 8500-7 or extra sheet with doctor's visits, thinking the AME would do that as he has done with all of my other documents. But he didn't. Not a worry as it will be 4 years before I do it again, with no overlap in office visit history (it's still 3 years for BasicMed), but it would have been nice to have for my records.

If they asked for more, I couldn't even provide it. I didn't make a copy of my 8500-7 or extra sheet with doctor's visits, thinking the AME would do that as he has done with all of my other documents. But he didn't. Not a worry as it will be 4 years before I do it again, with no overlap in office visit history (it's still 3 years for BasicMed), but it would have been nice to have for my records.
Couldn't you just ask him to have his office staff run off a copy for you?

From the BasicMed FAQ on the FAA website:
Q22: What documentation do I need to keep?
A: You only need to keep the original or a legible copy of your Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist (all pages) and your medical education course completion certificate. You must store these in your logbook; you can store them electronically in any format, as long as you can produce an accurate and legible representation of these documents at the request of the FAA. You don’t have to carry either of these documents in any form while flying under BasicMed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back