Bye bye

That didn't work before and the MC decided we didn't want to support a place like that. How hard is it for people to understand? As a previous poster said, you have the whole internet to do that. There are at least two places that people from here have created for you to do that.

I thought spin zone was for hot button topics related to religion and politics. (Only opted in for a brief 30 min then got out and took a shower as fast as I could; so can't say with certainty.)

I think what eman is suggesting is a virtual jr high boys locker room. Would still be devoid of religion and politics, and have to opt in, but provide an outlet for those who need to express themselves at a PG13 and higher level. You could even call it The Locker Room.

Remember, grab the Johnson bar more than three times, you're playing with it.

Um let's see, one grab on the downwind, another on base, another on final. That's three but if I don't touch it again and taxi with my flaps down, ATC thinks I've been hijacked...

decisions, decisions

I think what eman is suggesting is a virtual jr high boys locker room. Would still be devoid of religion and politics, and have to opt in, but provide an outlet for those who need to express themselves at a PG13 and higher level. You could even call it The Locker Room.
The larger question is why adults feel the need for a virtual Jr. High boy's locker room. ;)

I won't use the "we" word, since we have not discussed this in particular, but from knowing other mods' positions during the discussions about what to do with bad post reports, I feel fairly certain that this is a "no". No unmoderated forums.

Not sure why people keep posting about cupcakes and hurt feelings. I don't think anyone's feelings have been hurt and the only person who seems upset is mscard88. I also don't think it's unreasonable for this board to have standards and for the MC to enforce them. I have been places on the internet that are unmoderated and don't want this board to turn into that.
It's not unreasonable, but the MC could certainly re-evaluate the standards or give us a sub forum that we can go to. Many of us can agree that the current standards are a bit too conservative. The users should have at least some say in what takes place around here, rather than having the mods take complete control.

I was a moderator on a woodworking forum for a few years. It isn't a job I enjoyed all that much because you are always caught in the middle between over-moderation and letting things go. You can't win. I think that if the moderators find that the same person is offended and reporting others, then that person should get a hard look at maybe getting a little vacation from the rest of the forum.

Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Call it the Locker Room Banter. Just an area for when we can be "cavemen" every now and then.

There are users who would like MORE moderation, if the reported posts mean anything, so you could say we are treading a middle ground with what we do now.

Placating higher and higher numbers of cowards who hit the complaint button, isn't a measure of middle ground.

It's a measure of how many of these sorts of people you attract.

ca02cabd21e4c3546807529d424d1c50.jpg

Press button, get rat pellet. That's all measuring complaints is.

It's not unreasonable, but the MC could certainly re-evaluate the standards or give us a sub forum that we can go to. Many of us can agree that the current standards are a bit too conservative. The users should have at least some say in what takes place around here, rather than having the mods take complete control.
The mods do reevaluate from time to time. That's why the Spin Zone is gone. We have also experimented with a less than zero tolerance route on political posts. Some non-aviation political discussions have been allowed in the past, but our experience is that they always descends into partisan bashing. So now the post needs to have an aviation focus if it's political at all, and if it gets out of hand, the thread is closed. We can tell the difference between legitimate aviation subjects and ones used for political trolling. You may like the locker room banter, but there are those who don't. We (and I know it's "we" because we have discussed this) would like the forum to be more family friendly, and the locker room banter was getting out of hand. It's mostly instigated by a few members, then others chime in.

Placating higher and higher numbers of cowards who hit the complaint button, isn't a measure of middle ground.
I would say the opposite. I never hit the complaint button before I was a mod. But now I wish I had. It's not cowardly to make your views known in the face of the "cool kids".

I would say the opposite. I never hit the complaint button before I was a mod. But now I wish I had. It's not cowardly to make your views known in the face of the "cool kids".

Oh give me a break.

Some coward reporting a JOKE in a joke thread isn't hiding from a bully who's going to slam them into a locker.

I bet if the forum software always put a placeholder into every removed post (some places do that for openness) that contained two things...

1. That the post was deleted.
2. Which user complained to start the deletion.

We'd see a clear pattern of "bullying".

And it wouldn't be by those who don't hide behind the button on a *discussion* forum and cling to the mods leg while hiding behind them.

Um let's see, one grab on the downwind, another on base, another on final. That's three but if I don't touch it again and taxi with my flaps down, ATC thinks I've been hijacked...

decisions, decisions

I think what he's saying is you're getting jacked either way. I think. I might have misunderstood.

Oh give me a break.

Some coward reporting a JOKE in a joke thread isn't hiding from a bully who's going to slam them into a locker.

I bet if the forum software always put a placeholder into every removed post (some places do that for openness) that contained two things...

1. That the post was deleted.
2. Which user complained to start the deletion.

We'd see a clear pattern of "bullying".

And it wouldn't be by those who don't hide behind the button on a *discussion* forum and cling to the mods leg while hiding behind them.
I am certain that the person reporting the post didn't feel that he was being bullied or that it hurt his feelings. He reported it as being inappropriate, even for a joke thread and we (yes it was "we") agreed.

DenverPilot,

In 10 years here, I've posted a handful of times per year but only once have clicked the "report" button. Last week. It was when someone made the comment that In a picture of a helicopter with a young lady, that it looked like someone had altered her appearance... with a rake.

Are you suggesting that I would have been less of a coward (in DenverPilots eyes, hehe) if instead I would have engaged in an Internet ****ing match (which is usually won by those who can type the most) explaining to the guy that those types of "jokes" really aren't funny?

If so - fine. I'm a coward.

Tim

Doesn't matter what you do these days, someone will always have a problem with it.
I object to this. Every special cupcake and snowflake has the right and obligation to have a problem with everything. Pointing this out is the same as saying the sun rose in the east this morning or that the lemmings are running towards the sea. Ever since the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor society just hasn't been the same and it's all Avogadro's fault. None of these things amount to a mole hill much less a mountain. (Didja see that? Yup I really did that)

Does anybody know what this Tower is? I passed by it on my way to work every day and I've always wondered.

20170604_152846.jpg

I object to this. Every special cupcake and snowflake has the right and obligation to have a problem with everything. Pointing this out is the same as saying the sun rose in the east this morning or that the lemmings are running towards the sea. Ever since the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor society just hasn't been the same and it's all Avogadro's fault. None of these things amount to a mole hill much less a mountain. (Didja see that? Yup I really did that)

That's racist

Does anybody know what this Tower is? I passed by it on my way to work every day and I've always wondered.
NSA. Smile for big brother! :rolleyes:

I know of at least one former member that left because the MC determined - pretty much unanimously as I recall - that a sig line or some such was simply satire and not offensive. Said former member was offended, picked up their stuff and went home.

Now as for uncontrolled, anyone remember "usenet" and the rec aviation groups? :rofl:

Looking forward to seeing ST-2 when it comes out.

DenverPilot,

In 10 years here, I've posted a handful of times per year but only once have clicked the "report" button. Last week. It was when someone made the comment that In a picture of a helicopter with a young lady, that it looked like someone had altered her appearance... with a rake. ....

Really? In 10 years, T H A T 's what u reported? I'm even more baffled now than when it first happened.

That didn't work before and the MC decided we didn't want to support a place like that. How hard is it for people to understand? As a previous poster said, you have the whole internet to do that. There are at least two places that people from here have created for you to do that.
Can I ignore a Mod?

The larger question is why adults feel the need for a virtual Jr. High boy's locker room. ;)

I won't use the "we" word, since we have not discussed this in particular, but from knowing other mods' positions during the discussions about what to do with bad post reports, I feel fairly certain that this is a "no". No unmoderated forums.

Then why do adults feel the need to pay to see comedians? Robin Williams, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, and Redd Fox to name a few had some pretty raunchy stuff.

Back