iPad Kneeboard options

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
I just replaced my iPad 3 with the new iPad 2017 (the budget one) 128 GB model. I am looking to get a good kneeboard, that will also serve as a general use case. What have people tried and liked? I do no really want a standard case and also a flight case. Looking for a one size fits all.

I have a Griffin "ruggedized" case - an unintended consequence is the rubber case backing keeps it from sliding around when I have it on my aluminum kneeboard, yet I can pick it up or place it on the right seat without mucking with a strap, clip, or release. The cover over the touch screen works well, and it's stood up to use for quite a while.

Simple canvas flip lid case, with a elastic loop on the cover for a pad and pen.

For my iPad mini, I use Sporty's Flight Gear bi-fold kneeboard. When closed, it's as good as any case and the knee straps hold it closed. Also the pocket on the back cover is the perfect size to slip in a small clipboard, so a notepad or a flight plan or whatever can be clipped on the back. Works great.

All the ones I have bought sit in a drawer. Find them distracting.

Your chance to make another pilot happy...via the Classified. ;)

Your chance to make another pilot happy...via the Classified. ;)

Send me a FedEx number and it's yours. Better yet, send me a beer in a box with a return ship label that will fit an iPad knee board. Yeah, that will do it.

Send me a FedEx number and it's yours. Better yet, send me a beer in a box with a return ship label that will fit an iPad knee board. Yeah, that will do it.

Not me. Perhaps the OP?

I already have one of these - All aluminum, made in USA, excellent kneeboard.
http://www.forpilotsonly.com/

BUT, my experience seems similar to yours, and the Aztec has plenty of space for the Ram mount I now use mounted up high and just to the left. The kneeboard has been relegated to protective case status when the iPad is out of the airplane. :)

Really loved the bi-fold Flightgear iPad kneeboard in Cessnas/Pipers. Good for carrying both the iPad, a paper notebook for jotting down notes and frequencies etc, plus documents and logbooks etc all in one. Can't really use it well in Pitts though because of the space constraints and stick. Once almost turned off the master during a flight with the bi-fold side ;)

I don't do iStuff, but I made my own kneeboard for my Android tablet. It's made from 1/8" plywood and strips ripped from a 2x4, with a metal back to attract the magnetic cover on the tablet and keep it from coming loose. It worked perfectly on the 1000 mile trip back home in my new Starduster.
1626898-438x.jpg

1626906-438x.jpg

1626914-438x.jpg

Back