Spirit Airlines Capt and wife found dead Thur AM

Sorry for your loss.

Hard to imagine that parents would do that. But addiction does strange things to the brain.

If folks are saying that an ODed person can contaminate others, perhaps that is another hypothesis as to what happened.

If folks are saying that an ODed person can contaminate others, perhaps that is another hypothesis as to what happened.
Not the person, but the drug...one type of street fentanyl (carfentanyl) is so strong, just handling it wrong can kill you. It's a possibility.

Not the person, but the drug...one type of street fentanyl (carfentanyl) is so strong, just handling it wrong can kill you. It's a possibility.

It's not just the strength, but that it is toxic via absorption, inhalation, and ingestion, even after the person is deceased. Notices have been issued that deceased bodies can actually contaminate depending on concentration. SCBA and Level A HazMat PPE is advised until the concentrations are known. But how are we supposed to measure contamination? It's not like a TIC or gas detector can measure that. Just like a bust, fire, or incident at a meth house, the entire thing then becomes a HazMat scene. I'd be interested to know how they handled this case, and if they treated it as such. What really sounds crazy is that even morticians and funeral homes are at risk in some of the bulletins issued. This stuff sounds more like a military bio-weapon than something to get off on.

I don't believe that there have been documented cases of toxicity from an ODd body. More of a theoretical concern.

When the Russians ended that theater siege, they supposedly used a fog of carfenta to put everyone asleep. Killed a bunch of people in the process. So yes, this stuff can be weaponized.

I don't believe that there have been documented cases of toxicity from an ODd body. More of a theoretical concern.

You're probably correct. Given the apparent level of danger and risk, I'm at least glad the precautions are issued.

I just don't feel bad for drug addicts

Last edited:
Had one last night @2030. Medics were right around the corner so they were on scene pretty quick, by the time we got there with the rescue/squad, it was just over. I likely will not find out what the end result is unless somebody knows the patient personally.

I will say this though...I get high on aviation! Ohhhhhh!

I get so high in my plane! Ohhhhhh!

I am embarrassed to even include this picture in this thread, but I saw this last night at the grocery store and it surprised me:
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-24 at 5.51.32 PM.jpeg

This has probably been out for a long time, but I had no idea NyQuil had a plain "just fall asleep" version. I am probably naive, but I thought even this was kinda scary! What puts a person to sleep in less than 20 minutes? That seems spooky to me, what's in that stuff?

Full disclosure, I don't use that stuff and have never even tried a sleep aid, so maybe they are way less harmful than I'm imagining...

Diphenhydramine = Benadryl

The sleep aids are usually just an anti-histamine like Benadryl, so mostly harmless. I'm not sure about NyQuil, I tried it once a long time ago and it made me feel terrible and it kept me awake and jittery, not sleepy.

Ahhhhh, I see... sounded more sinister. I was thinking, what can take a totally awake person and make them sleep within 20 minutes?!?! It sounded more like it was knocking you out or whatever.

Sorry, I'm derailing as usual.

NuQuil has long been known to have a sleepy effect on people. It used to do that for me, so if I had a common cold having a dose would relieve symptoms and knock me out so I usually felt a lot better when I woke up. The zzzQuil basically doesn't have the other meds in it. Never used the stuff, but I've never been one for sleep aids.

Ahhhhh, I see... sounded more sinister. I was thinking, what can take a totally awake person and make them sleep within 20 minutes?!?!

I know what can't - and that would be ZzzQuil. It's 50mg Diphenhydramine. You can legally take that stuff and drive. (Not that you should).

I know what can't - and that would be ZzzQuil. It's 50mg Diphenhydramine. You can legally take that stuff and drive. (Not that you should).

It depends on the person. When NyQuil worked for me, 20 minutes was about right. I recall taking a dose while walking down the jetway for a red eye flight when I was sick. I was out by pushback.

Nyquil is one of the only over the counter products that'll knock me out reliably. It takes some time to shake off the grogginess the next morning, though.

:)
The sleep aids are usually just an anti-histamine like Benadryl, so mostly harmless. I'm not sure about NyQuil, I tried it once a long time ago and it made me feel terrible and it kept me awake and jittery, not sleepy.

You might have taken too much.... OD'ed on Nyquil....:)

What the hell is wrong with people...

Unfortunately Ohio and West Virginia are at the epicenter of a national tragedy. I only realized how bad it was when I saw advertisements for a laxative to counteract opioid induced constipation on the Super Bowl. A LOT of America is drugged up. Last I checked more people were dying of opioids than car crashes.

Talk all you want about drug addicts and criminals. This didn't come out of nowhere. This problem didn't emerge until after the push by the drug companies to liberalize opioid use, so said companies could peddle more their products.

And you don't start start out with cocaine laced with fentanyl. These folks had been at it awhile.

Unfortunately Ohio and West Virginia are at the epicenter of a national tragedy. I only realized how bad it was when I saw advertisements for a laxative to counteract opioid induced constipation on the Super Bowl. A LOT of America is drugged up. Last I checked more people were dying of opioids than car crashes.

Talk all you want about drug addicts and criminals. This didn't come out of nowhere. This problem didn't emerge until after the push by the drug companies to liberalize opioid use, so said companies could peddle more their products.

And you don't start start out with cocaine laced with fentanyl. These folks had been at it awhile.

I don't know about the drug companies' push to liberalize opioid use, but you are completely correct about the significant opioid epidemic going on, especially in Ohio. But it happens all over. It seems like there are multiple paths. Some people get started being hooked on pain killers, but some people just decide to give it a go for reasons most of us will never understand. There was a kid I knew in college - really smart, had his web development business, raised well, nice kid, few years younger than me. For some reason he decided that he wanted to start taking drugs, so he volunteered at a drug rehab clinic to talk to the drug addicts and learn. Not peer pressure or anything, he literally went out of his way to find addicts and get "best practices." I probably wouldn't believe the story if I hadn't known him. I stopped talking to him when he did. Aside from my objection to the choices, he became a real ass. Probably a year or so later he OD'd on whatever he was using and died. Just a stupid death. Why a kid who's doing well like that decides one day to start taking hard drugs I'll never know. Not an ounce of sympathy for him.

Perhaps something else to note is this pilot obviously kept it very secret. He passed his drug screenings somehow, and our friend who was a friend of his had no idea.

What angers me is that their kids found them. Hopefully the kids will know to never touch drugs.

Over 4,000 dead from drug overdoses last year in Ohio alone.

The 'pain is the fifth vital sign' ideology was promoted by the American pain society and AMA. This was further pushed by state medical boards who considered the presence of pain to be a sign of malpractice. The result was predictable.

Yes, the drug companies share the blame, but what we see right now was not all their fault.

Perhaps something else to note is this pilot obviously kept it very secret. He passed his drug screenings somehow, and our friend who was a friend of his had no idea.

Both cocaine and carfentanyl have a short enough half life that standard screening programs could miss them.

It is certainly a very odd combination of drugs. Not really a reason to do this intentionally.

I grew up in an area and time period where if someone started any drugs, we would round that person up and beat the snot out of him. Sort of like an early type of intervention. They would either stop or move away.

I wonder if their dealer had a beef with these people and sold them a double portion without telling them..

Our troopers now carry Narcan on their vehicles--hoping to save some folks that OD if they are found quick enough. Sure is sad seeing folks go from a good life to gone.

Yeah, rhino/elephant tranquilizer sounds like something I'd want to do.

NOT!!

I have no pity for such fools.

The 'pain is the fifth vital sign' ideology was promoted by the American pain society and AMA. This was further pushed by state medical boards who considered the presence of pain to be a sign of malpractice. The result was predictable.

Yes, the drug companies share the blame, but what we see right now was not all their fault.
Interesting. A few years ago my wife had horrible back pain. She got admitted and they gave her NOTHING for several days because they "didn't know what she had". I was beyond being ****ed watching her suffer. Turns out she was diagnosed with pneumonia. Wonder what the statute of limitations is...

Fortunately I've a very high pain tolerance. Never took the stuff they offered when I broke/tore/etc lots of body parts over a long life. Even at that, I'm guessing most are hooked by not from prescriptions from ethical Physicians but by stupidity.

Cheers

Wrong to all deniers. Mrs. Steingar got addicted to painkillers at one point. Actually a funny story if you ever meet me in person (and there's some alcohol around). Fortunately for Mrs. Steingar her husband didn't put up with junkies and a reasonable way out was found or her predicament. Not everyone is so lucky to have their own friendly neighborhood Steingar.

The rise of opioid problems correlates precisely with liberalization of their use by the medical community, a policy promoted heavily by Big Pharma. Fortunately MDs are now waking up to the harm this has all caused and opioid prescriptions aren't as popular, or so I'm told. I hope that can reverse a horrible situation, though I fear the Djin is out of the bottle and will not easily be put back in.

This!!

And the government mandated hospital surveys where patients rate physicians "quality" by whether they address their "pain" adequately. This is now directly tied to hospital reimbursement. I.e., give the patients the drugs they want or the hospital will fire you and find somebody that will.

I know somebody will have a story about how somebody wasn't treated for their pain, however I hope you realize that the United States uses over 85% of the entire world's opiates. Think about that for a while.

Back