Android tablet for Garmin Pilot

injb

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jb
I have a free subscription to Garmin Pilot for a year and I'm shopping for an Android tablet to use it with. I'm probably going to go for a Galaxy Tab S2. Does anyone know, how useful is a 3G/LTE connection for this application? I haven't really started my cross country training yet so I'm still not that familiar with how this software is used. I'm presuming it's a bit like Google Maps in that you only need an Internet connection at the beginning when you plan your trip? Can you then use it in flight to make changes without a connection?

GarminPilot does not need a 3G/LTE connection.

You will have to download charts and documents and store them locally on the device.

Some things to consider: Every time you install an update, turn off wifi (put device in airplane mode), then start GP. Sometimes the updates will want to connect back to Garmin to finish resetting the system. That's not something you want to find out when you are in the air and away from the FBO wifi.

If you don't install the charts, when you fly off the edge of the charts you do have, the chart will simply show as a gray checkerboard. All the GPS information will still work, but there won't be a chart to display. By putting the device into airplane mode, loading your course, then zooming in on the charts you'll find out if you are missing anything.

edit: on the chart download page you'll see a map of the US and all the charts overlayed. You can select which charts you want to download, so you don't need them all. Some charts will overlap - like a TAC and Sectional - so make sure you get them both. When you are on a sectional and then zoom in far enough, the TAC will be displayed. And remember to download whatever chart supplement/AFD for your area, too. Once you do that, the system will let you know when the charts you have will need to be updated.

I have a free subscription to Garmin Pilot for a year and I'm shopping for an Android tablet to use it with. I'm probably going to go for a Galaxy Tab S2. Does anyone know, how useful is a 3G/LTE connection for this application? I haven't really started my cross country training yet so I'm still not that familiar with how this software is used. I'm presuming it's a bit like Google Maps in that you only need an Internet connection at the beginning when you plan your trip? Can you then use it in flight to make changes without a connection?[/QUOTE

I recently updated my tablet from a Nexus 7 (2nd Gen) to a Samsung Tab S2 8. This is a great tablet. OLED display and one of the fastest processor speeds available. I added a 32GB SD card. Mine Is WiFi only. Performance is dramatically improved. Great upgrade for me. GP is solid as a rock with my GDL-39-3D receiver.

Monte

I have a Samsung Tab A with an extra uSD memory card. I use Garmin Pilot and have it set to the option to use the memory card for storage (the 16 GB in the tablet isn't enough). I have everything downloaded, and kept up to date, so running off the edge isn't an issue.

I have GP running on two Nexus 7's (2013), one of which is 16GB (the other 32GB). As long as I don't install too many extra Apps, there is plenty of space for (roughly) a third of the country, with some spare (typically over 1GB). If you want to keep the entire country there, then you'd need 32G. Sometimes during updates it keeps both old and new versions for a while, but I have yet to go below 1GB free space.
BTW, the N7 is still available from Amazon for those interested.

My N7 croaked after a couple years. Many others have too. Old and no longer supported I think.
Currently using a Tab S with 6.0.1 and it works great.

Thinking of upgrading from my N7 (although it still works fine) to a Tab S2 re-furb.... $240 on Amazon ($300 new for the same unit). Is the S2 still the hot tablet for GP or is there something newer I should consider? Thanks!

Jim

Back