I never fail anything...until today

Sheppard Air. Study hard for a week. Retake. I scored a 98..
......again, how long ago? - questions reworded/revamped earlier this year. Did that leave Sheppard behind?

You failed a test, not the "class" - the FAA writtens have only modest relevance to your preparation as a pilot; they are basically a box to check, of limited value, and not particularly well written. Don't beat yourself up over a bureacratic hoop to be jumped through.

......again, how long ago? - questions reworded/revamped earlier this year. Did that leave Sheppard behind?

To my understanding Shepherd is updated as well. You may want to give them a quick call to confirm. This is how they make their money so im sure its up to date.

To my understanding Shepherd is updated as well. You may want to give them a quick call to confirm. This is how they make their money so im sure its up to date.

Well, that is how Sporty's, King etc make money as well, and they definitely are not up to date.

As i stated. A simple phone call tells all

I can make a prediction right now:

"Hello, is this Shepherd Air?"
"Yes it is, how may I help you?"
"Um, are your questions up to date."
"Why yes, yes they are."
"Thank you."

My point, it doesn't make any difference if you call them, of course they will say their questions are up to date; they'd be stupid not to. The only way of knowing for sure is to ask someone who studied with Shepherd Air and took the test recently. We've all heard stories of people who took the test a few years ago and found that the questions on the IFR exam were word-for-word from the Shepherd course. Having said that, there was a thread about a month ago and someone stated that the Shepherd questions were indeed up to date, but not word-for-word anymore.

Don't worry. What do you call a pilot who fails the IR ride the first time and passes it the second? An instrument rated pilot. Go back, study some more and retake the test. You'll to fine.

Sheppard updates in real time. As a matter of fact, I went in the commercial software yesterday (hadn't been in it in awhile) and there was an update and a note telling what questions had changed and why.

Of the three tests I used Sheppard Air to study for, none of them had a single surprise question.

Sheppard updates in real time. As a matter of fact, I went in the commercial software yesterday (hadn't been in it in awhile) and there was an update and a note telling what questions had changed and why.

It's not "real time" (as in - it's not sync'd with the FAA question base), it always lags a little bit behind. But it seems like they are doing a good job.
The interesting thing will be what happens on the 12th of June with the commercial knowledge test - after that for a while no-one knows what questions there will be.

It's not "real time" (as in - it's not sync'd with the FAA question base), it always lags a little bit behind. But it seems like they are doing a good job.
The interesting thing will be what happens on the 12th of June with the commercial knowledge test - after that for a while no-one knows what questions there will be.

Yeah, real time as in when they find out is what I meant. I'm slowing down on my commercial study for the written a little bit to give it some time.

You failed a test, not the "class" - the FAA writtens have only modest relevance to your preparation as a pilot; they are basically a box to check, of limited value, and not particularly well written. Don't beat yourself up over a bureacratic hoop to be jumped through.

I'm glad someone else feels this way. I know I should know all of the material cold but at the same time, questions that sometimes trip me up (which aircraft position is indicated by HSI 1, etc) are pretty annoying. I've certainly never lost track of where my aircraft is...EVER. With things like VOR checks, I'm going to look that information up every time I perform one anyways to make sure I'm doing it correctly, it's not as if I'm going to find myself in a position where oops, here are three options and 2 of them are wrong I better guess which one is correct before I do it! We all have our weaknesses, I'm sure some people are amazing at standardized multiple choice tests and that's great for them, for me its definitely my achilles heel.

Anyways, hit Sheppard Air hard this weekend, for those wondering I can confirm it seems pretty up to date to me. It has several questions which weren't in the Sportys ipad app but were on my actual test, though again they may be worded slightly different (but who cares)

Will update this when I test again, looking to crush out above a 90 in a couple weeks.

It's my understanding that the FAA question banks are updated on a periodic basis (I believe 3 or 6 months, can't remember) but after the new questions go out, Sheppard Air rewards folks who memorize the new questions they spot on the test (by refunding the cost of the training course?) and report back to Sheppard Air so that they keep their test prep as up to date as possible. They develop a little "cheat sheet" that allows you to memorize and correctly answer certain math questions without ever lifting a pencil or calculator. I used them for my ATP written a few years ago and scored my highest knowledge test score ever in the shortest period of time (with the exception of the FOI test).

Sheppard Air is very effective in getting you to pass the test, but not to learn the material. As a result, as a flight instructor I would not recommend Sheppard Air alone.

For the OP, you can miss 18 questions on the test and pass. I'm sure there are a few esoteric questions (after all, you have to separate the A- students from the A+ students), but I hardly think you got 18 oddball questions. Look at your test results and look up each and every knowledge area in the ACS that you missed. Do you see any knowledge area trends? It's not about prepping to pass a test; it's about knowing the material. That is why the ACS is transforming the knowledge test into a more integrated component of the airman standards process.

If you were practice testing in the 80s, you simply weren't ready. Most importantly, focus on learning the material, not passing the test.

Last edited:
FWIW, over the years I've noticed an uncanny relationship between those who had trouble with the private written test and death by airplane. The pilots could handle the plane alright, but took numerous times to pass the written. Then after finally getting their license they'd go do some stupid thing they shouldn't have, killing themselves and others. So I don't buy into the gripe about the irrelevance of written tests one bit. Memorizing test questions would only serve to mask the accident-inclined from view, imo.

dtuuri

With all due respect, failing a test to which all of the answers have been provided in advance is, well, unimpressive and undeserving of sympathy. I would advise a much more rigorous approach to your studies. Hell - you only need a 70 to pass and, again, you already know all the answers.

Personally, I consider anything under an 85 to be a failure, again, because you should already know the answers.

My advice. Get the Gleim book. Work through a chapter or two a night. Do practice tests (widely available in the Interwebtubes), one or two per night for a few days. Take the test again.

I'm glad someone else feels this way. I know I should know all of the material cold but at the same time, questions that sometimes trip me up (which aircraft position is indicated by HSI 1, etc) are pretty annoying. I've certainly never lost track of where my aircraft is...EVER. With things like VOR checks, I'm going to look that information up every time I perform one anyways to make sure I'm doing it correctly, it's not as if I'm going to find myself in a position where oops, here are three options and 2 of them are wrong I better guess which one is correct before I do it! We all have our weaknesses, I'm sure some people are amazing at standardized multiple choice tests and that's great for them, for me its definitely my achilles heel.

Anyways, hit Sheppard Air hard this weekend, for those wondering I can confirm it seems pretty up to date to me. It has several questions which weren't in the Sportys ipad app but were on my actual test, though again they may be worded slightly different (but who cares)

Will update this when I test again, looking to crush out above a 90 in a couple weeks.
This is a rationalization.

Choosing between options happens every flight.

And knowing an out of place reading can save your bacon, whether in navigational, engine, or six-pack instruments. They sometimes lie without "flagging" or faulting.

For your VOR check, the procedure isn't the issue, so much as knowing it has to be done every 30 days. So you can look at the record and know if your airplane is legal for IFR. If you don't know it's bad, you don't know to look it up. But it sure is convenient to just know all you have to do is tune both receivers to a nearby VOR, check they agree to 4 deg, and write it down, rather than haul out the FAR/AIM with the engine running.

You'll find your workload goes WAY down when you know your stuff. And getting behind the airplane in IMC can be fatal. Especially during the approach phase, things can snowball in a hurry.

Last edited:
Meh....go re-take the test. I wouldn't beat yourself over that.

The written knowledge test isn't very effective at measuring much. The PTS flight portion is much more meaningful IMHO.

I took my IFR written last summer within a month of when the test had been "updated" per many of the sources I spoke to. I went to a weekend IFR aviation seminar, knocked out shepherd air really hard, watched all the kin videos and took a handful of practice tests from different sources. I was making upper 80's average on practice tests.

My actual test was much more difficult. Of the 60 questions I'd say less than 5-6 were duplicates from the study aides I used (and I used them all!). There were MANY that were subtly changed to trick those that had memorized

I ended up with a 78 and was tickled to death with that score.

Having gone through a brutal veterinary school I can assure you that nerves or test fright played zero role. I've taken several tests that could have ended my career path.

My point is that those that took the test prior to mid last year may not have an accurate idea of what the "new test" entails.

I'm sure shepherd and some of the other places have caught up with some of the new material but at the time I took my test that wasn't the case.

I just bought the Sheppard Air download for the instrument exam. Its on my laptop at home and I'm at work hence the questions: 1. Can I change my username and password? 2. Do I need to be somewhere with WiFi to use it? 3. Will the IRA memory aid make more sense as I start studying?

I just bought the Sheppard Air download for the instrument exam. Its on my laptop at home and I'm at work hence the questions: 1. Can I change my username and password? 2. Do I need to be somewhere with WiFi to use it? 3. Will the IRA memory aid make more sense as I start studying?

I'm not aware you can change user/pass. I had figured at one point why they won't let you do it, but now I can't remember. lol.

You can use it without being connected to the internet, but in order for the program to update the questions you need to be hooked up to the internet. Whenever you open it connected to the internet it automatically checks for updates. If you're not hooked up, it will just give you a warning that it couldn't connect, but still let you go into the program and use it.

I'm not sure what the IRA memory aid is. I'm not good at deciphering acronyms. :)

I was reticent at asking the questions but I downloaded it just before I left for work and just gave it a quick glance. There's no way I can memorize that username and password so I guess I'll always have to have it saved on my phone.

Not sure I understand the confusion here.
There are soooo many tools out there to pass a written. Work hard and self study. If you truly put in the effort there is no reason for less than a 90%.

I was reticent at asking the questions but I downloaded it just before I left for work and just gave it a quick glance. There's no way I can memorize that username and password so I guess I'll always have to have it saved on my phone.

Yeah, no way you can memorize it.

Their acronym, not mine - stands for Instrument Rating Airplane.

Oh, ok. I have the commercial. I'm not sure what the memory aid is. But definitely study it the way they recommend. Go through each section once with the correct answer displayed, then through that section again with multiple choice picking the right answer. Be sure to read how they recommend to do it.

Will do, now I understand what people are saying about Sheppard Air teaching the test. Before anyone jumps on me, I have the Gleam as well and look up the answers in the appropriate reference before answering the question even though the correct answer is provided with an explanation. I need to get to know where the answer is in the FAR/AIM too.

I believe once you put it in the app it remembers it. But I did just stick it in a note to myself in email just in case for a cut and paste.

Will do, now I understand what people are saying about Sheppard Air teaching the test. Before anyone jumps on me, I have the Gleam as well and look up the answers in the appropriate reference before answering the question even though the correct answer is provided with an explanation. I need to get to know where the answer is in the FAR/AIM too.

Won't get any jumping from here. I used a very mixed bag of study techniques and Sheppard was a part of it. As long as it's a part and not the whole, it works fine. And that's what they recommend also.

I would drill with it for a while then go grab a paper FAR/AIM and dig up the same material, then I would jump to the ASA Oral Prep book for a while, and then FAA books/material, or a full blown book with detail like a Kerschner books or Durden, then a little more Sheppard.

Ramped up the Sheppard just prior to the writtens just because that's exactly what it's best suited for, ramped up the other stuff before the practicals...

All sorts of great stuff out there. Don't neglect or think the FAA stuff is in any way inferior just because it's free. It's solid and ultimately is the basis for all the others until you get to "how to teach"... they do suck at that. But I know you're not doing that right now.

Back