BasicMed Huge Hit

Add me to the count. Just got back from my annual exam with my family doc. I gave him the checklist last week and he said it would be no problem. He just did his normal exam and then looked at the checklist to see if there was anything else he needed to do. Did a quick hearing test and color vision test and then signed me off. Easy peasy!

What does the color vision test consist of?

Wish it is like the "Pick out the blue sock" test on my original Medical. When they went to the plates I couldn't see a d*** thing.

Cheers

took me a while trying to figure out why "BasicMed (took a) Huge Hit" until I realized this thread was actually saying "BasicMed (is a) Huge Hit" :)

"Can you see the colored upper colored line in the middle of the chart?"
"Yes"
"What color is it?"
"Red"
"And the other one a bit below that"
"Green"
"Okay, now read the smallest line you can"

Seriously, That's all it was this time round...

My doc had me look at a book that had numbers obscured in different colors. I think this was the same test my aviation doc gave me 5 years ago when I got my first medical. Hearing test was simply "plug one ear and repeat what I whisper".

My doc had me look at a book that had numbers obscured in different colors
If it was colored dots, then that's the Ishihara test. For others, make sure you do that exam with natural sunlight for which the plates were designed. Many artificial lights will skew the results due to different color temperatures.

If it was colored dots, then that's the Ishihara test.

My doc had one of those test books that hadn't been used in years, because they don't normally do vision or hearing with an annual physical. He sent a couple of nurses/techs in to give me the test. I don't think they had ever seen one before and had me read describe practically every page in the book. Of course I didn't have any problem, because I see colors just fine. I told my doc it was the most extensive color test I've ever had, and about 10 times more thorough than what the AME gave me when I got my class-III.

It's encouraging to know how many pilots have a acceptable-for-safe-operation-of-an-aircraft anus. Congrats on your signoffs!

Don't you know that chronic constipation can be a SI in the 3rd class world? Depends exactly how it's coded... don't ask me how I know! ;)

Don't you know that chronic constipation can be a SI in the 3rd class world? Depends exactly how it's coded... don't ask me how I know! ;)
Two words: more fiber.

Add me to the count. Just got back from my annual exam with my family doc. I gave him the checklist last week and he said it would be no problem. He just did his normal exam and then looked at the checklist to see if there was anything else he needed to do. Did a quick hearing test and color vision test and then signed me off. Easy peasy!
What if he decides your BP is "a little high" but well below the 3rd class limits (that he's not aware of)? You think you're getting a signoff?

What if he decides your BP is "a little high" but well below the 3rd class limits (that he's not aware of)? You think you're getting a signoff?
Depends on the doctor. I'm sure some will sign off even if you're above the faa limits

I've read alot of people denigrating the basic med option - yet - here we have 4000 pilots who can now legally fly who could not 7 days ago . . . seems like it works to me.
That assumes that all 4000 were under SI or on the sidelines. How many just decided to forgo their next 3rd class?

Mine was due in March, so I went to the flight surgeon that I have been to three times previous and got a third class. I know what to expect with him and in addition he has a clinic on a small muni field near me. We always have a good visit since he was at Fort Polk the same time as myself in 1968. Of course, he was a doctor and I was a trainee, but he is interesting to talk to about it.

He also has a 78 Mooney that he bought new and has put over 4000 hours on, so we have even more in common. As long as he is around, I won't try doing anything different just because I know this works.

I was a bonehead and forgot to schedule an appointment. But I will eventually bump that number up and as a grounded pilot due to not wanting to deal with the hassle and expense of the FAA medical.

Wish it is like the "Pick out the blue sock" test on my original Medical. When they went to the plates I couldn't see a d*** thing.

Cheers

Heck my vision is fine but if I had to pick out a blue sock from the blacks I'd prolly fail. Maybe it's the kind of socks my wife buys?

Heck my vision is fine but if I had to pick out a blue sock from the blacks I'd prolly fail. Maybe it's the kind of socks my wife buys?
My father has an "Aztec Orange" Harley Davidson that my whole family says looks orange to them and I swear it couldn't look more red, yet I've always aced every single color vision test at the AME office.

I have a vehicle that I swear is green but every time the airport shuttle takes me to the parking lot to pick it up they announce "blue Forester" because that's what someone wrote on the slip.

I wonder what this will do to used airplane prices. They seem to be rising across the board on trade-a-plane, but that could just be seasonal. :dunno:

My father has an "Aztec Orange" Harley Davidson that my whole family says looks orange to them and I swear it couldn't look more red, yet I've always aced every single color vision test at the AME office.

I have a vehicle that I swear is green but every time the airport shuttle takes me to the parking lot to pick it up they announce "blue Forester" because that's what someone wrote on the slip.

Alternative facts, or fake news? (Ducking...) ;-)

I wonder what this will do to used airplane prices. They seem to be rising across the board on trade-a-plane, but that could just be seasonal. :dunno:

Makes sense.

I would expect the number of used planes being offered to diminish. The ads that say "lost my medical" might be a thing of the past.

Light Sport on the other hand -- will it die?

Hi everyone.
Any new statistics on the number signing up?
I would think that most pilots have already signed up, and it will likely be a very slow additional pilots signing up from now on?

Hi everyone.
Any new statistics on the number signing up?
I would think that most pilots have already signed up, and it will likely be a very slow additional pilots signing up from now on?
I don't think that's true. More pilots will sign up as their medical certificates expire. My medical expires at the end of this month so I got my BasicMed exam a month ago, but if my medical had several more months to go than I probably would have waited.

I don't think that's true. More pilots will sign up as their medical certificates expire. My medical expires at the end of this month so I got my BasicMed exam a month ago, but if my medical had several more months to go than I probably would have waited.
Yep, Sept. for me, probably go Basic

Working with Bruce to get one time SI's, then plan to go Basic.

I tried to get my class 3 but could not get an appointment before it expired so I went with Basic Med. More than one way to skin a cat..

Working with Bruce to get one time SI's, then plan to go Basic.
I remember you were down on the original statute mandating (what became) BasicMed because of the one-time SI requirement. I really hope Bruce is able to work his magic for you!

Not die, but I expect used Light Sport prices in general to take a bit of a hit. Already know one for sale solely because of a pilot passing BasicMed and putting his on the market. More supply+less demand=lower prices.

One big appeal to some, myself included, is the ease of taking a Light Sport Experimental, something you cannot easily do with a normally certificated plane without major restrictions. If I could take something like a Citabria or a Tiger Experimental, they would be a lot more appealing.

Probably not. They've taken over the bottom end trainer market and are the only thing at a price point below $100,000 in the brand new stuff. The light sports around here never have any grass growing under them. They fly all the time.

The downside appears to be that they're a bit fragile for the beating they take teaching primary students and parts are often a long wait away, usually shipped from Europe.

One of the local ones was down for months because it needed a new canopy. The manufacturers and distributors need to learn how to put parts in a warehouse closer to the customers.

"Can you see the colored upper colored line in the middle of the chart?"
"Yes"
"What color is it?"
"Red"
"And the other one a bit below that"
"Green"
"Okay, now read the smallest line you can"

Seriously, That's all it was this time round...

This needs to be the new standard. Ishihara is an a$$#ole.

This needs to be the new standard. Ishihara is an a$$#ole.
Ishihara just identifies and diagnoses color vision abnormalities. The real a$$#ole is the FAA for making a deal of color abnormalities that have no bearing on safety of flight. At least, though, they apparently do allow alternate tests to get a SODA for it.

The real idiocy is being tested for color vision at every exam. 99% of color vision defects are static. If you have one of the rare ones that's acquired, you likely have much bigger problems than color vision.

Disclaimer: not an ophthalmologist or even a physician, just my understanding.

I vaguely recall a color blindness exam once which was "go inside and sit in the green chair". Inside there was a muted red chair and a muted green chair where you waited for a could of seconds before someone else did some other exam. I always figured that they must not care much because even if you couldn't tell, you had a 50/50 chances. I think this was inprocessing to the Navy.

I saw my GP on Thursday. He signed the form (no problem) and I took the AOPA quiz and passed the test that afternoon. Add me to the list of BasicMed pilots.

Another BasicMed success story. Saved many dollars and trouble. I'm sorry so many feel like this was of no help to them. As for me, it is great. Also, no exam for 4 years instead of 2. My physician had no issues with signing it.

Back