How ya like your tomato sammich?

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Tomato sammich.png

White bread, mayo (I use Miracle Whip now), and thick tomato slices. A little salt and pepper to taste. Yum! Jersey tomatoes are the bestest!

ick, tomatoes. can't stand that gooey sht in them, it freaks me out. I can deal with diced tomatoes but that's about it.

That's a big southern delicacy, but I don't like them.
I gotta have some kind of meat on it.

The tomatoes look perfect. Love love love tomatoes.

Mouth watering.

Plus I'm a huge miracle whip fan.

That's a big southern delicacy, but I don't like them.

My family up in Jersey are Italians, and I had an Uncle who grew an acre or more of tomatoes. They all ate 'mato sammiches, so not really a southern thing I don't think.

My family up in Jersey are Italians, and I had an Uncle who grew an acre or more of tomatoes. They all ate 'mato sammiches, so not really a southern thing I don't think.
Hmm, maybe not then. I always thought it was something big in the south. Who knows? :dunno:

Toast, fresh basil, fontina cheese, tomato, salt

toast, fried egg, tomato, salt, pepper

Mayo, a little salt & pepper, but the bread has to be toasted. Good 'maters are too juicy for untoasted bread.

Toasted white bread, mayo, Hanover tomatoes, salt and pepper. Hard to find a good tomato anymore, it seems.

Nauga,
right behind Half Fast

Ummm, pick the tomaters earlier n fry em. Much healthier.

View attachment 53861

White bread, mayo (I use Miracle Whip now), and thick tomato slices. A little salt and pepper to taste. Yum! Jersey tomatoes are the bestest!

The Miracle Whip cohort around here qualifies for official minority status...great to have you back posting!

[QUOTE="mscard88, post: 2300308, member: 26582"

White bread, mayo (I use Miracle Whip now), and thick tomato slices. A little salt and pepper to taste. Yum! Jersey tomatoes are the bestest![/QUOTE]
Personally I prefer a good rye bread, but for tomato sandwiches it has to be a softer rye.

And I have taken to making my own Mayo. It is actually pretty easy to make with a stick blender, a couple of eggs yolks, a bit of lemon juice and some light olive oil. (regular olive oil is too strong). The only trick is to beat the eggs first to stiffen them, then SLooooooowly add the oil. It keeps in the fridge for over a week, but I never let it sit for 2 weeks. Do you ever wonder what they put in store bought mayo to make it last forever?

Homemade tastes better, is healthier and goes great on tomatoes, especially if you add some bacon.

[QUOTE="mscard88, post: 2300308, member: 26582"

Personally I prefer a good rye bread, but for tomato sandwiches it has to be a softer rye.

And I have taken to making my own Mayo. It is actually pretty easy to make with a stick blender, a couple of eggs yolks, a bit of lemon juice and some light olive oil. (regular olive oil is too strong). The only trick is to beat the eggs first to stiffen them, then SLooooooowly add the oil. It keeps in the fridge for over a week, but I never let it sit for 2 weeks. Do you ever wonder what they put in store bought mayo to make it last forever?

Homemade tastes better, is healthier and goes great on tomatoes, especially if you add some bacon.[/QUOTE]
Potassium sorbate. Yes I googled it. It reportedly has no known short term health effects.

Depends entirely on which portion of India you might be in.
Perhaps, but so far I've found them in Kolkata, Pune, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, New Delhi, Puri, Mumbai, Agra, and Jaipur. They use Amul cheese on the sandwiches (the local brand) but seem to have branched out recently. They have cucumber sandwiches too without cheese. The only other place I remember cucumber sandwiches is the UK.

Perhaps, but so far I've found them in Kolkata, Pune, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, New Delhi, Puri, Mumbai, Agra, and Jaipur. They also have cucumber sandwiches too.
My point was that India has southern and northern regions, not that tomatoes will or won't be present.

My point was that India has southern and northern regions, not that tomatoes will or won't be present.
Ah, gotcha. Mine was that almost all of India is "south" compared to the USA ,and so tomato sandwiches are a southern delicacy. :)

I prefer my tomato sandwiches with beef or ham, little to no mayo, dijon mustard and no tomatoes . . . Oh, and pickles and lettuce.

A tomato slice wrapped in lettuce under a hamburger with bacon and cheese on it slathered with mayo and mustard is the shizz.

Add an equally thick sliced chunk of buffalo mozzarella (instead of the mayo) and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and I'd be good.

And I have taken to making my own Mayo. It is actually pretty easy to make with a stick blender, a couple of eggs yolks, a bit of lemon juice and some light olive oil. (regular olive oil is too strong). The only trick is to beat the eggs first to stiffen them, then SLooooooowly add the oil. It keeps in the fridge for over a week, but I never let it sit for 2 weeks.

I don't bother with adding the oil separately. First, pick a glass that's a tight fit for the stick blender. Dump everything in and let the eggs sink to the bottom and the oil rise to the top. Put the stick blender all the way to the bottom, wait a second or two and then hit the button. Once you see hints that the emulsion is starting, slowly lift the stick blender to incorporate more of the oil.

Do you ever wonder what they put in store bought mayo to make it last forever?

They don't. First, off, it's not forever. Secondly, I believe it's a combination of careful handling, precise measurements and proper ratios. Pasteurizing the eggs factor in, too. Aside from the eggs, none of the ingredients are really perishable.

Back