Altimeter failed IFR check

Another vote for AQI. Have had very good experience with them. Good price, excellent quality.

Off post a bit but my Garmin Area 500 is about 50feet off from my altimeter? Even on the ground were elevation is known? Any ideas.

I have two AQI ovehauls, both have worked well even while tested with a $70,000ish Barfield ramp tester.

They refinished both fasces and the paint looks perfect.

Off post a bit but my Garmin Area 500 is about 50feet off from my altimeter? Even on the ground were elevation is known? Any ideas.

Because GPS altitude is not pressure altitude. GPS is altitude above a mathematical sphere and not the planet. It's very accurate, but it's not what we fly. We fly at a particular pressure level in the atmosphere.

Doesn't help much when a shop won't cooperate on outside parts. I'm hoping this place works out, as I have already given up on door #1 and door #2..

The FAA airman registry is searchable for zip codes and ratings. I'll bet you can find an A&P (perhaps with IA) within ten miles of you and would jump at the chance to make a hundred bucks or so by swapping out an altimeter.

Jim

Because GPS altitude is not pressure altitude. GPS is altitude above a mathematical sphere and not the planet. It's very accurate, but it's not what we fly. We fly at a particular pressure level in the atmosphere.
Betcha in five years we will be flying GPS altitudes. Betcha, betcha, betcha.

Thanks for the reminder, I didn't think about that.

Betcha in five years we will be flying GPS altitudes. Betcha, betcha, betcha.

Can't without a GPS mandate. I could see it in ten or more likely fifteen. And it'll take forever to get through ICAO. No way these bureaucracies can get anything that big done that fast. We still have lots of Transport Category aircraft flying around with paying passengers that will never have a GPS installed in them.

Back