Starting at 56

ADHD, huh? You are the oldest person I know of that had been diagnosed with that
Minor nit... what's not in evidence yet is that JLee was actually diagnosed with ADHD. Just that a doctor prescribed an ADHD medication. At this time, we in the gallery don't know why the doctor did that. The real diagnosis and reason is part of what JLee needs to obtain and share with Dr. Bruce.

The FAA bureaucratic hand grenade is they see the medication in JLee's history and immediately assume the worst until proven otherwise, and possibly set him up for denial. Which is why all the advice to do the work ahead of telling the FAA he exists so the additional and correct documents explain things are there and the chance of an FAA freak out is minimized as much as possible.

This is not a question of regulations. This is a question of someones private medical information. Now he was willing to share this here on the internet, but his instructor doesn't need to be involved in what is a private medical issue. The person to deal with his medical certification is his AME (and in this particular case one of a few AMEs familiar with that particular problem and how to get it past the FAA).
Well, I would agree he doesn't need to discuss the specifics or seek medical advice from the CFI, but for general courtesy and planning purposes, I would give the CFI a general idea, as in: there may be a delay, I am working on it.

Last edited:
Well, I would agree he doesn't need to discuss the specifics or seek medical advice from the CFI, but for general courtesy and planning purposes, I would give the CFI a general idea, as in: there may be a delay, I am working on it.

Yes, he needs to know whether the student has a medical and if he doesn't have it yet, when he anticipates to get it.

Minor nit... what's not in evidence yet is that JLee was actually diagnosed with ADHD. Just that a doctor prescribed an ADHD medication. At this time, we in the gallery don't know why the doctor did that. The real diagnosis and reason is part of what JLee needs to obtain and share with Dr. Bruce.

The FAA bureaucratic hand grenade is they see the medication in JLee's history and immediately assume the worst until proven otherwise, and possibly set him up for denial. Which is why all the advice to do the work ahead of telling the FAA he exists so the additional and correct documents explain things are there and the chance of an FAA freak out is minimized as much as possible.

:yeahthat:

Seeing the Dr next week that prescribed the ADHD med and get it in the records that I no longer take it. Have not taken it in a while and don't need it. He's not my regular family DR. Was tested in my 30s and was told I probably have residuals from childhood ADD. Told this Dr while going through my divorce in 2010 as part of my history review and he put me on med. I followed his advice which probably in hindsight was a mistake.

Seeing the Dr next week that prescribed the ADHD med and get it in the records that I no longer take it. Have not taken it in a while and don't need it. He's not my regular family DR. Was tested in my 30s and was told I probably have residuals from childhood ADD. Told this Dr while going through my divorce in 2010 as part of my history review and he put me on med. I followed his advice which probably in hindsight was a mistake.
While you're there, get a copy of your full chart from him. You're likely gonna need it anyhow. And it is within your patient rights to possess a copy. Make sure you get all of the diagnostic and insurance codes that are entere "against" you.

I would also start organizing a binder or accordion folder with all that you collect. Make it easier on yourself and others to find the key bits of info.

You mention above "childhood ADHD". Was this officially diagnosed? And by whom? This is a key item that Dr. Bruce will need to know.

Not soliciting, but I don't think I'm very far away from you in the N GA mountains.

If you ever make it over this way, love to talk planes and the learning process and to show off my Light Sport Sky Arrow.

Solicit away Eddie. We don't mind. :) Especially if you can do him some good.

Stop talking.

You mention above "childhood ADHD". Was this officially diagnosed? And by whom? This is a key item that Dr. Bruce will need to know.

Mike and I both caught your quote. FAA considers ADD to be a lifetime illness -- if you have it, you always have it. That's why it's so important to track down whatever information you can. If you were actually diagnosed vs "here, try this, see if it helps". The deal with childhood ADD is that it seems to be over diagnosed for convenience and the kid never really had it. Then, when FAA gets involved years or decades later, the adult has the burden to prove he doesn't have it (and therefore never did).

Stop talking.

I think I would also suggest keeping details of private medical data between you and your chosen AME and other medical professionals.

It is easy to misstate medical specifics and it may be done in a way that will not help with learning to fly.

Gathering all available records is a good idea to start on so your AME can have all the information readily. It is also something to do which helps relieve the tension of waiting on the evaluation and examinations.

@JLee -- Now that we've dealt with a few of the medical certification issues, let's get this thread drifting in a positive direction: Knowledge items...

There are many ways to get the "book learning" you need to know. Videos for your DVD player, online ground schools, books you can purchase, and books you can get from the FAA for free. Which you use is mostly up to you, though you should consult with your instructor as he might have a program that he prefers and uses in conjunction with the flight training.

Videos for the DVD; Sources include
Online Ground Schools

Free books from the FAA

I think I would also suggest keeping details of private medical data between you and your chosen AME and other medical professionals.

It is easy to misstate medical specifics and it may be done in a way that will not help with learning to fly.

Gathering all available records is a good idea to start on so your AME can have all the information readily. It is also something to do which helps relieve the tension of waiting on the evaluation and examinations.

Then again, one of the signs of ADHD is that people don't pay attention ;-)

By talking to the doc who wrote the script, he potentially creates exactly the paper record that will permanently sink his prospects of ever getting a medical.

At the risk of repeating myself. For the OP:
- email Bruce
- send him what he asks for
- don't talk to anyone else about this
- don't do anything like creating new records
- talk to Bruce
- get exactly the records he tells you to get

Last edited:
@JLee -- Now that we've dealt with a few of the medical certification issues, let's get this thread drifting in a positive direction: Knowledge items...

There are many ways to get the "book learning" you need to know. Videos for your DVD player, online ground schools, books you can purchase, and books you can get from the FAA for free. Which you use is mostly up to you, though you should consult with your instructor as he might have a program that he prefers and uses in conjunction with the flight training.

Videos for the DVD; Sources include
Online Ground Schools

Free books from the FAA
Once in a while a local community college will offer a ground school class, too.

ATC: Skylane Five Five Whiskey Bravo, Traffic at your eleven o'clock, Boeing 787

Me: Ooooooh! Shiney shiney! (as the stall warning sounds)

Did a search and found out my former primary care physician is a AME. Putting this medical subject to bed for now. I'll work it out.

Now, what were we talking about?:)

Did a search and found out my former primary care physician is a AME. Putting this medical subject to bed for now. I'll work it out.

Now, what were we talking about?:)
I'd still advise that you talk to Dr. Bruce before this other AME. Mostly because he has handled enough of these cases to fill several hangars full of BTDT T-shirts. And as stated, Bruce won't do any submissions until he knows they will go through. Your PCP may not be as thorough and prefers the defer and possible deny route.

JLee, it probably seems we're beating you up pretty bad on the medical stuff however there is reason, logic and actual experience behind all the people recommending to use Dr.Bruce.

In my case a had a ER visit that had me concerned. In hindsight maybe it wasn't a big deal but one of the insurance codes indicated palpitations (thankfully no fainting, admissions, etc). I am also on the AOPA forum and he gave me a short list of exactly what to obtain and bring with including a very precise statement from my doctor. Notice, I didn't just get a statement from my doctor - he asked for it to be worded very precisely.

I made the decision to not start any training until I had my 3rd class medical. I did however interview instructors and decide on a FBO. I am now about 12hrs into my PPL training.

As you talk about working with your physician, remember the statement you obtain may not actually help you. In flying you will burn through $100 bills so fast you'll wonder if/when it ever ends. The money you spend initially working directly with Dr.Bruce is such a small amount to pay to be sure and to know exactly what to expect.

Others mentioned knowing all this now could also help you still be a pilot via the Light Sport rating. Please don't go all cowboy thinking you or your family doctor know the system only to be forever banned from flying anything. When in fact you might still be able to fly and be a pilot under a different set of restrictions and enjoy it just as much.

The FAA medical system is a minefield. Send in a minesweeper (like DR Bruce) before you blow yourself up, irreparably.

Like you, I started late (well, I did some hours back in the 90's but nothing much). I was 47, and its been a great journey. I agree with Everything above - I also had a "medical minefield" I did not know about until a fortuitous google search brought me here, and to Dr. Bruce. I'm 99% confident that without him I would have been denied, and possibly still not issued, for a situation not that different from your own. (Different meds but similar risk of lifetime denial). He shepherded the process, and I was (finally... after 6 months) approved. One of my PCPs is also an AME, but I went to Bruce. Hes really "the guy" for these cases, and is on a first name and "lunch together" basis with the head flight surgeons in the FAA. He knows EXACTLY what they need to approve you, and if it can be done he will get it done.

On to the other stuff - HAVE fun, fly often as you can, and do not wait for the medical (but get it rollin'). I did that, and yes, I was delayed by about a month for solo. Big deal, I did my dual XC, and plenty of other dual training. There's lots to do and unless you fly 2-3x a week you will probably be fine starting training at the same time you start the medical. Oh, and start studying for and take that written. I did mine long before solo.

My motto - Enjoy the ride...after all that's why most of us do this...

J

Never should have been prescribed but I went along with it. Mistake, which is why I no longer take it.

As others have said, FAA considers all diagnoses of brain related medical conditions as permanent. That said they also consider ADD/ADHD a "spectrum" disease of the brain and there are ways to "prove" you're at the low end of the "spectrum".

Bruce knows ALL about this and the bureaucratic traps AND unlike some AMEs, he makes sure the evidence of you NOT being a "future problem" for FAA approving you to fly is compiled and in hand BEFORE applying to them. He side-steps the usual "apply to the government and wait for what they will say" that a lot of AMEs don't who cost their applicants months or years of difficult testing and missing arbitrary deadlines imposed by the FAA "process".

If you show up to apply on Day One (in the FAAs view) with all the documentation they're ever going to ask for and more, they'll often let Bruce (or any senior AME) issue the medical right then and there over the phone. But most AMEs simply won't get their act together and gather all of this information ahead of time, and they wait for official paperwork and letters to go back and forth for a year.

He's helpful, friendly, and an asset to the aviation community. And you need to call him. Like NOW. Then gather ONLY the things he says you'll need from your Docs and former Docs. Bruce knows if that letter you just asked your doc to write matters to FAA. They may not care. They have a specific set of rules they follow and it's got nearly nothing to do with your actual health. It's about how they want their documentation to look when someone in the Press says, "Why did you let that guy fly airplanes?", after you crash.

By the way, Bruce can also advise whether BasicMed is an option in your case. If so, or he thinks it's a better option for you, he will tell you so. But once you apply to the FAA for a medical, you start certain processes that can't be reversed.

As a CFI, I would want to be apprised of any medical condition that might even remotely affect a student's performance.

For what I'd think would be obvious reasons.

I think the "hide this from your instructor" advice is silly. Every instructor knows students who've fought medical issues. Childhood ADD diagnoses done out of the convenience of the parents and the schools is quite a common problem in folks in their 30s-50s who are hoping to fly airplanes these days.

By talking to the doc who wrote the script, he potentially creates exactly the paper record that will permanently sink his prospects of ever getting a medical.

At the risk of repeating myself. For the OP:
- email Bruce
- send him what he asks for
- don't talk to anyone else about this
- don't do anything like creating new records
- talk to Bruce
- get exactly the records he tells you to get

THIS. THIS. THIS.

Talk to a Senior AME and preferably Bruce before you sink yourself because you THINK you're doing the "right thing".

FAA does not CARE about what you think is right. Bruce knows what they want.

Like some others, it's been a dream for many years that I never followed. Taking my intro fight next week and want to start right. The kids are finally through college, married, and starting their own families. My 30yr marriage is now over(not part of the dream), job's going well, saved a good bit of money, so the time is right. I'm in good shape through hiking, biking, and watching my diet so covered on the medical side. I researched 4 different fight schools in my area and made that decision today. My goal is to get my PPL, IFR, and have fun doing something just for me. The local school I decided on has 2 Diamonds(DA 20 & 40), 2 Cessna 172s, and a Piper Warrior. Of these aircraft, would rather learn in a 172 but have nothing to base that decision on other than YouTube and reading a few threads here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Go for it. I have had many primary students who took the plunge when older than you are (the oldest was 85, but he couldn't handle the bookwork and knowledge test).

Bob Gardner

Remember this isn't an all or nothing deal, either. You can start, and even finish, your sport pilot license while working on your medical stuff at the same time. Then continue on to the PPL ticket whenever you choose. Fly on the Sport ticket for a while and you might even decide it's all you need.

By the way, Bruce can also advise whether BasicMed is an option in your case.
Bzzzzt! Minus 20 points.

JLee can't do BasicMed as he hasn't held a medical yet. He still will need to get a third. Then next go around he would be eligible for BasicMed.

Been off the stuff for months. Never should have been on it. Made me feel horrible. Bad advice and no longer see this Dr. Believe he thought he was doing the right thing getting me through the divorce a few years back, getting me back on track/focus.

Let's just forget to mention this Med since you're not currently taking it. Remember as you're filling out the medical form it's not about "Oh, look at me, why yes I think I've had that". It's more "What's that ? Never heard of it".

Let's just forget to mention this Med since you're not currently taking it. Remember as you're filling out the medical form it's not about "Oh, look at me, why yes I think I've had that". It's more "What's that ? Never heard of it".
Your advice is to lie on an FAA application?

And i thought keeping secrets from an instructor was a bad idea.

The FAA has been known to revoke every certificate obtained with false information, sometimes on an emergency basis.

The question is whether you have ever taken it, not whether you are now.

The FAA has been known to revoke every certificate obtained with false information, sometimes on an emergency basis.

Guess what Virginia - if everyone were totally honest on that FAA medical the major airlines would not be able to operate a scheduled service ! That's no BS either. Forgetfulness is not a lie.

Guess what Virginia - if everyone were totally honest on that FAA medical the major airlines would not be able to operate a scheduled service ! That's no BS either. Forgetfulness is not a lie.
Yes intentional "forgetfulness" is very much lying, and just because YOU lie doesn't mean it is legit.

I guess I should not be surprised some lie so easily.

Yes intentional "forgetfulness" is very much lying, and just because YOU lie doesn't mean it is legit.

It's not only happening in part 121 operations it also happens in the military as well. I'm sure you've probably seen very obese airline pilots walking around the terminal - do you really think they're the picture of health ?

You can call what ever you like but it's a battle against a system that's a little too quick on the draw to assume the worst - look what happened to Bob Hoover just for starters.

I will ALWAYS lie to my enemies - and do so with great pride.

The problem with lying about a controlled substances prescription is that the feds keep records on them. Of course you can claim that you don't remember due to your ADHD.

52? Oh you kids...I'm just starting my sport pilot process at (almost) 63. Now, get off my lawn! ;-)
I opted for SP over PP because I wasn't sure I'd be doing anything that required PP. Planes are cheaper to rent and gas and I'm not wanting to do night flights or go up with more than one passenger. The 'drivers license' vs medical is nice. Total hours to get SP are going to be more than the minimum; my CFI says the shortest he's taught was 38 hours. If I decide I want PP, I'm well positioned to move up. Enjoy the trip!

Back