530W Updates - Need Two Adapters?

jeremyk13

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jeremyk13
I've seen a few threads on updating Jepp nav data, and the requirement for the Skybound Adapter in order to do so. However, I couldn't find any information on the Garmin options.

It looks like North America Nav-Only from Jepp would be $550 vs Terrain/Obstacles/Nav from Garmin at $500.

If I wanted to get the bundle from Garmin, would I need both the Skybound Adapter and the Garmin Adapter?

If I only wanted nav from Garmin ($400), would I need the Skybound Adapter or the Garmin Adapter?

I just did this. I have an apple household and could not get the Jeppesen card reader set up for Garmin database. (Worked flawlessly with Jeppesen databases). I purchased the Garmin card with the same results. I ended up buying a cheap windows laptop which worked well with the Garmin reader. One of the only times Windows out performed a MAC.

I've seen a few threads on updating Jepp nav data, and the requirement for the Skybound Adapter in order to do so. However, I couldn't find any information on the Garmin options.

It looks like North America Nav-Only from Jepp would be $550 vs Terrain/Obstacles/Nav from Garmin at $500.

If I wanted to get the bundle from Garmin, would I need both the Skybound Adapter and the Garmin Adapter?

If I only wanted nav from Garmin ($400), would I need the Skybound Adapter or the Garmin Adapter?

Skybound works with Jepp, Garmin works with Garmin. If you get the bundle from Garmin, you only need the Garmin adapter.

I just did this. I have an apple household and could not get the Jeppesen card reader set up for Garmin database. (Worked flawlessly with Jeppesen databases). I purchased the Garmin card with the same results. I ended up buying a cheap windows laptop which worked well with the Garmin reader. One of the only times Windows out performed a MAC.

It has nothing to do with being a Mac, and everything to do with drivers for the hardware.

That said, I also bought a cheap Windows laptop for doing updates. Going from Mac to 32-bit Windows virtual machine running Win95-era software through a Keyspan USB-serial adapter to the cable that plugs into the plane was just too many moving parts. It worked for a while, until it didn't. I think it was the Keyspan since that ceased to show up in Windows, but it was easier to just get a crummy old university surplus laptop with a 9-pin serial port running WinXP to avoid all the extra moving parts!

530W updates as in terrain and obstructions - I know logically that changes often - but why are you that low?

Aiight.

So don't bother with terrian, MTs don't move and towers are nearly well marked enough to be of real use. I fly low and just terrian inhibit, it's not that accurate to start with.

It's just nav data. So if you're VFR and its with in 5 years or so, no worries.

For IFR get the jepp update, only need one adapter, the GNS series don't know the difference between cards from box to box.

If you have dual boxes, not saying to do anything naughty, but VMs are interesting tech.

Is there any reason that Jepp is $150 more than Garmin for North America Nav Only?

Call Jepp and ask their price, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Back