Cessna 177 RG specs?

zackly.....:eek:
You mean like in a Cirrus?
SR22TN_Perspective_Cockpit.jpg

One man's "underpowered" airplane is another's economy champ. Many who own 150 hp Cardinals love them, and rightfully so.

View attachment 53520
Love the ad, thanks, Jeff! Never seen it, pretty fun. (but not untrue)
Want to go faster than a 172 but cheaper than a 182? Split the difference and the 177 will fit the bill. :)
Yes, the CG is not perfect but she surely is a good economical airplane with the most room in the class. (I didn't believe it until I sat in one)
And if the FG is too slow for you, the RG will give you extra 15 knots once you pull the gear up.
I remember the earlier RGs had plenty of gear problems but Cessna eventually learned how to do it right and the later models have a pretty good gear.

Love the ad, thanks, Jeff! Never seen it, pretty fun. (but not untrue)
Want to go faster than a 172 but cheaper than a 182? Split the difference and the 177 will fit the bill. :)
Yes, the CG is not perfect but she surely is a good economical airplane with the most room in the class. (I didn't believe it until I sat in one)
And if the FG is too slow for you, the RG will give you extra 15 knots once you pull the gear up.
I remember the earlier RGs had plenty of gear problems but Cessna eventually learned how to do it right and the later models have a pretty good gear.

I've found the Cardinal RGs are FASTER down low than fixed gear 182s, at a touch over 10 GPH. Not so much at high altitude.

Biggest problem I have with the 150 horse 177 is that it holds a LOT of gas. My Dad seems to think it has to be completely filled anytime he is adding any. I flew yesterday with 144 pounds of fuel and about 650 pounds in the cabin and it was great. Max is 288 pounds of fuel burning an average 45 pounds (7.5 gal) per hour is a 6.4 hour range. Even if it averaged 54 pounds per hour (9 gal) that's still 5.3 hours of gas. Sorry Dad, I really don't need to carry that much gas every time I fly. That crazy extra fuel makes it annoyingly difficult to get out of the heat on departure.

This airplane is much more fun to fly with careful loading, planning, and reduced fuel loads. I stuck the 245 pound guy in the backseat and he had a blast. His 185 pound brother was in the copilot position. A few more pounds of gas on the left wing so I had both passengers sit on the right.

Last edited:
Back