How do you keep yourself focused while flying?

einepilotin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
einepilotin
Hello everyone :)

I am doung my IR training and my instructor still yells at me for not keeping the altitude and HD.
Even though i dont feel physically or mentally tired but I omit or fixate some instrument.
And had to aggresively fix them. :( while getting yelled..

How do you experienced pilots handle this?
How can you be focused compeletely without missing anything the whole time?
I try to mumble myself HD check, altitude check.
Do you think that is right way to be better at this? Ant tips??

And did you guys do pattern practice after started IR?
I sometimes feel like my landing got different than before since I started shooting approaches.

Thank you!! :)

Assume you are flying steam gauges? Scan discipline. Do you have a regular pattern or are you varying it haphazardly (or without even consciously knowing?)

The AI is the anchor and start & end every pairing with the other instruments with the AI.

Keep your scan up, also what's the next thing you're going to do.

Monitor the engine instruments

Scan

Check to see if you're in range of the weather/listen and trend weather

Scan

Based on weather start setting up and briefing the approach

Scan

Brief the missed

Scan

If in VMC look for landing sites if you had a emergency

Scan

Recalculate based on current conditions the fuel to destination

Scan

You still good with the fuel to go to your alternate?

Scan

See if you can pick up weather at the alternate

Scan

Check weather at destination again

Scan.

If able do a VOR check

Scan.

Give a PIREP

Scan.

Really if you're loosing focus or getting bored on short range IFR flights, maybe you're getting overwhelmed, maybe your blood sugar is off and you should eat something or exercise, but there is a TON to do.

This kind of goes contrary to what one hears most of the time: Slow you scan down.

Just a little. We're told so often to keep our scan going, I see many pilot (not just instrument students) end up darting from instrument to instrument without ever stopping long enough to actually absorb the information. I see pilots, for example, look at a DG, HSI or CDI showing left of course of heading and turn further left, just because they really didn't see what it was telling them.

So pause at each just enough to compare it to what it should be. You are more likely to notice even a small deviation and correct it.

Last edited:
This kind of goes contrary to what one hears most of the time: Slow you scan down.

Just a little. We're told so often to keep our scan going, I many pilot (not just instrument students) send up darting from instrument to instrument without ever stopping long enough to actually absorb the information. I see pilots, for example, look at a DG, HSI or CDI showing left of course of heading and turn further left, just because they really didn't see what it was telling them.

So pause at each just enough to compare it to what it should be. You are more likely to notice even a small deviation and correct it.

THAT'S IT! Now I remember! I was so focused on trying to keep my scan up, that I wasn't taking the time to interpret and react. That's why my CFII covered stuff up! To force me to only concentrate on a few key instruments. Worked great.

THAT'S IT! Now I remember! I was so focused on trying to keep my scan up, that I wasn't taking the time to interpret and react. That's why my CFII covered stuff up! To force me to only concentrate on a few key instruments. Worked great.

Technically there IS a whole lot less stuff to cross-check when it all starts to fail... LOL! :)

Technically there IS a whole lot less stuff to cross-check when it all starts to fail... LOL! :)

So, by logical extension, the FAA is yet again missing a splendid opportunity to improve IFR flight safety by reducing the required instrument list? :rolleyes: :D

I am doung my IR training and my instructor still yells at me for not keeping the altitude and HD.
Even though i dont feel physically or mentally tired but I omit or fixate some instrument.

I sometimes feel like my landing got different than before since I started shooting approaches.

This exact same thing happens to me when my wife is talking to me. I find drinking about a beer and a half makes me much more attentive and engaging. You should try it.

In all seriousness though, take two weeks off. You're just dang tired of staring at stupid gauges and trying to do things perfectly the way you read about in a book. You've plateau'd. Take some time off.

That's actually how I came to realize this issue. I was a fairly new CFII. An instrument pilot asked me to go up with him for some proficiency work in preparation for a trip. He was solid partial panel but had trouble full panel. I watched his eyes and noticed what was happening. Partial panel scan was methodical, stopping and ensuring he had the information. Full panel scan, he darted around trying to take it all in too quickly.

Last edited:
That's actually how I came to realize this issue. I was a fairly new CFII. An instrument pilot asked me to go up with him for some proficiency work in preparation for a trip. He was solid partial panel but had trouble full panel. I watched his eyes and noticed what was happening. Partial panel scan was methodical, stopping and ensuring he had the information. Full panel scan, he darted around trying to take it all in too quickly.

Neat!

If you have trouble staying focused you may want to reconsider why it is you want to fly.

Assume you are flying steam gauges? Scan discipline. Do you have a regular pattern or are you varying it haphazardly (or without even consciously knowing?)

The AI is the anchor and start & end every pairing with the other instruments with the AI.

This is why I'm here at POA. Or at least why I came here, hoping for exactly these kinds of great tips.

Just a little. We're told so often to keep our scan going, I see many pilot (not just instrument students) end up darting from instrument to instrument without ever stopping long enough to actually absorb the information. I see pilots, for example, look at a DG, HSI or CDI showing left of course of heading and turn further left, just because they really didn't see what it was telling them.

And these comments. Perfect. I know the OP is experienced and going for instrument but still as a new student I notice something...we often, unwittingly, FAKE it for the CFI. Even worse than instrument, I found myself in the beginning faking it (not intending to deceive, but fulfilling the letter of our duties but not the spirit and intent) when scanning for traffic!!

I know I'm not the only one. CFI sitting there, one is trying to do a lot of things, all of them important, to recall all things we need to do, and so you start emptily fulfilling duties..."ok, I looked at the engine instruments" check.

I corrected myself with traffic scan, taking exactly as long in each sectio out the windscreen as I feel I NEED in order to really search for any traffic. I'm still not there on instrument scans...but getting better.

What helps me, when I do a scan and am back to traffic scan, asking myself "what did I just read if the CFI were to ask me?"

The idea to slow down, exactly what I was missing too. One thing, when you guys scan, you are looking for what values (I.e. Altimeter for sure is value check, I assume looking at values also for airspeed...not just that it isn't in the yellow or does that depend?) with some instruments while engine for example is it just looking for "in the green"? Or even there, does it alternate?

When you get experience, do you look at patterns instead of values in some cases? Like when I look at my watch, I don't "read off" the time by needing numbers, I look at the pattern of the hands...do you do that with altimeter, airspeed? If so, when you fly a different plane with slightly diff instruments do you have to consciously make yourself READ instead of patterns?

Sorry this got long, I got hungry for info. Is the pattern vs. reading values related to when you do a "panel scan" vs. "partial panel" scan?

No, mumbling won't help. How do you rest on the controls? Do you grip the yoke too tightly, feeding changes to an otherwise trimmed and stabilized plane? Same for your feet--are they up heavy on the pedals? Only one toe at a time needs to touch a pedal, if either at all. Chances are, you're your own worst enemy.

dtuuri

The idea to slow down, exactly what I was missing too. One thing, when you guys scan, you are looking for what values (I.e. Altimeter for sure is value check, I assume looking at values also for airspeed...not just that it isn't in the yellow or does that depend?) with some instruments while engine for example is it just looking for "in the green"? Or even there, does it alternate?

When you get experience, do you look at patterns instead of values in some cases? Like when I look at my watch, I don't "read off" the time by needing numbers, I look at the pattern of the hands...do you do that with altimeter, airspeed? If so, when you fly a different plane with slightly diff instruments do you have to consciously make yourself READ instead of patterns?
Yes to both, but even before you "get experience". Bugs are great. In addition to heading bug and altitude bugs if you have them, the green area of a system instrument of a dial and a CDI are visual bugs also. They are giving you the value to look for.

Even without bugs, and remember that people are different, I've found having a predetermined value in mind is more efficient. Take the altimeter. I think there is a real difference in mental process between looking at an altimeter and thinking, "what does it say?" on the one hand and "is it or is it not 2,000'?" on the other.

No, mumbling won't help. How do you rest on the controls? Do you grip the yoke too tightly, feeding changes to an otherwise trimmed and stabilized plane? Same for your feet--are they up heavy on the pedals? Only one toe at a time needs to touch a pedal, if either at all. Chances are, you're your own worst enemy.

dtuuri
Dave is absolutely right. That's a big one. Most of us have an unconscious tendency to pressure the flight controls when we look at something else (I'm particularly bad on this one). One CFI friend came up with a simple solution: train yourself to consciously let go of the yoke when doing other tasks like changing frequencies. Properly trimmed, the airplane will, in most conditions, do better than you during the 3 seconds* away from the flight instruments.

(*Another tip: the "3 second rule." Never leave the flight instruments for more than 3 seconds at a time.)

Prior military?

Some of us learned w/o using the AI. Think about that one for a second....

Anyway there are other scanning techniques. I think the service branches teach the AI as primary so I asked that question. For me heading, airspeed, and altitude are primary. The Aspen didn't change it much, just made it easier to take it all in while complicating the buttonology...

Yes to both, but even before you "get experience". Bugs are great. In addition to heading bug and altitude bugs if you have them, the green area of a system instrument of a dial and a CDI are visual bugs also. They are giving you the value to look for.

Even without bugs, and remember that people are different, I've found having a predetermined value in mind is more efficient. Take the altimeter. I think there is a real difference in mental process between looking at an altimeter and thinking, "what does it say?" on the one hand and "is it or is it not 2,000'?" on the other.

I didn't even think about bugs. Thanks! Of course, I should be using them already now.
As far as predetermined value check, at first I thought that might lead to "you see what you expect to see" and could be dangerous, but you cleared it up in the last sentence that by predetermined it is still the excellent question "IS IT or is it NOT 2,000" . Not sure I can articulate, but non flying experience with instruments taught me that when checking you have a goal, but if you expect to see it you can fool yourself.

As a musician, doing recording, it was even worse. I was mixing down a track and thought to myself "I need just a little more bass and volume on the first guitar" so I adjusted EQ ever so slightly, heard it get better, adjusted volume, just a tad...ah...much better. Then a few seconds later I realized I had adjusted an empty track, NOT the one I intended, one with nothing on it. I would have sworn in a court of law that I heard how I tweaked it just enough to make it just right.

That's scary, I hope I never do it in an airplane :)

Prior military?

Anyway there are other scanning techniques. I think the service branches teach the AI as primary so I asked that question. For me heading, airspeed, and altitude are primary. The Aspen didn't change it much, just made it easier to take it all in while complicating the buttonology...

No, not military. I have to make my living doing non-aviation things that pay well enough to support this habit.

I learned to print with an HB pencil when I was a child but I'm using a touchscreen for this response. You should try using your AI some day. Then again, YMMV. ;)

No, not military. I have to make my living doing non-aviation things that pay well enough to support this habit.

I learned to print with an HB pencil when I was a child but I'm using a touchscreen for this response. You should try using your AI some day. Then again, YMMV. ;)
"You should try using" LOL. Gotta love it when someone on the internet thinks they know how somebody else should do things.

I'll turn that around and point out that a vacuum system failure didn't change my scan much. If you use AI as primary you are vulnerable to a failure of one instrument. Better stay up with the sim time to train for failure of that one instrument. With the vacuum system it isn't if, it is when.

yup, focus on the primary instruments in the scan....and when the secondary fail....big deal. ;)

Prior military?

The IFH clearly describes two different scanning patterns. One is AI-centric just like described. The other is a rectangle around the six-pack.

I find myself switching between them these days. Centering on the AI is useful for changes in configuration, such as rolling into a turn, slowing down, leveling off, or deploying gear/flaps. Otherwise, I prefer a rectangular scan.

One could, of course, invent all kinds of alternative scans. The important thing is to cross-check, and avoid fixation.

"You should try using" LOL. Gotta love it when someone on the internet thinks they know how somebody else should do things.

I'll turn that around and point out that a vacuum system failure didn't change my scan much. If you use AI as primary you are vulnerable to a failure of one instrument. Better stay up with the sim time to train for failure of that one instrument. With the vacuum system it isn't if, it is when.

Not all AIs are vacuum driven, and some airplanes have backup vacuum systems (I rather like those, as I can take the engine to idle during taxi/run-up and not lose my DG setting).

But the important point is to CROSS-CHECK. You do not fixate on primary instruments. That's an error. You know the AI is going TU when your turn rate isn't as expected and your altitude/airspeed don't do the right thing. Fixating on other instruments is just as wrong. A plugged static system will take out your all your primary pitch instruments for any steady configuration, and the only way to detect it is to use the gyro instruments (or maybe engine noise if you've really screwed up).

Prior military?

There are two competing schools of thought. "Primary/Supporting" and "Control/Performance." The mistake some make (not you) is thinking they are scan techniques. They are not. They are instrument interpretation techniques. P/S is the FAA's; C/P is from the military. For some years now, the FAA recognizes both. It didn't always, apparently figuring the armed services didn't know much about flying ;).

Primary/Supporting asks, "which instrument gives you the most direct information about your condition?" That's "primary." Other instruments providing the same information are "supporting." For the easiest example, in straight and level flight, the primary instrument for pitch is the altimeter. In P/S, the Attitude Indicator is primary only while you are changing attitude since it is, after all, the most direct indicator of, ummm, changing attitude.

"Control/Performance" asks a slightly different first question. "How do you control what the airplane does?" It treats the Attitude Indicator as the "control instrument" for (surprise!) exactly the same reason P/S treats it as primary for changes. Instead of dividing the others into "primary" and "supporting" roles, it treats them collectively as telling us whether the "control" changes we made have produced the desired "performance."

Arguments over the two tend to sound like the same nonsense spouted in pitch/power arguments. They are both really nothing more than two ways of looking at the same thing and approaching the same goal - having us cross-check our instruments to know what they are telling us and resolve discrepancies between them.

Cover everything except the airspeed, altimeter, ball, fuel gauge, oil pressure and voltage indicator. All you need anyway. Turn the radios off. Then just fly the plane by looking outside with occasional glances at the airspeed and altimeter.

better add the compass to that....just for good measure. :D

My main, or primary, go-to instruments in my scan are the altimeter, VSI, AS, turn/bank gyro, and compass. All the others are for ease of use....and I could do without if need be.

better add the compass to that....just for good measure. :D

My main, or primary, go-to instruments in my scan are the altimeter, VSI, AS, turn/bank gyro, and compass. All the others are for ease of use....and I could do without if need be.

You're not instrument rated, are you?

That's not an adequate scan. You need some redundancy there, or the first instrument failure will kill you. A static blockage will make the altimeter, ASI and VSI all misbehave. You disentangle that with the AI.

If your instructor is "yelling" instead of teaching, that might be your main reason for not improving... Think about that and act accordingly...

Cover everything except the airspeed, altimeter, ball, fuel gauge, oil pressure and voltage indicator. All you need anyway. Turn the radios off. Then just fly the plane by looking outside with occasional glances at the airspeed and altimeter.

LOL. You missed that he's an instrument student, didn't you? ;-) No lookie outsidey.

I'll turn that around and point out that a vacuum system failure didn't change my scan much. If you use AI as primary you are vulnerable to a failure of one instrument. Better stay up with the sim time to train for failure of that one instrument. With the vacuum system it isn't if, it is when

LOL. Gotta love it when someone on the internet thinks they know how somebody else should do things.

My turn to laugh. Isn't that what you just did above?

With all sincerity, your advice is spot on. We both know flying, as a profession or as a pastime, can be terribly unforgiving in certain circumstances. Nevertheless, the possibility of a vacuum system failure is not a good enough reason not to use the vacuum driven AI and Heading Indicator/HSI (one of your listed primary instruments, I believe) in an airplane.

I logged 1.9 hours last Tuesday flying my twin mostly on one engine or the other, doing a whole series of maneuvers including single engine approaches, landings and overshoots at a 3400 ASL airport. It is possible an engine on my twin could fail at any time. That possibility is not a good enough reason not to use both of them the rest of the time. ;)

Back