2030 what does GA look like?

The decline in piston aircraft will have declined. 1% of the airports open today will be sold to land developers. The number of business jets will have increased. There will be user fees in place. The only inst approaches will be ils and rnav. The only entry into a hold will be direct.

I know what my GA will look like (presuming my survival) - I will have sold off my share of a nicely equipped IFR 172, and become the sole owner of an experimental. It may or may not have ADS-B, or even an electrical system, and I won't give a single eff, either way.

Maybe a Pazmany, or an Emaraude, or an E-LSA.

There will be fewer airports to land on, fewer pilots to talk to, fewer mechanics to work with.

13 years is a little short, but in the spirit of what does "future" GA look like

The Worst Outcome:
**GA pilot population shrinks as pilots age out
**Aggressive legislation either outlaws or makes the price of 100LL prohibitively expensive
**More airports close
**Cost of aviation increases as supply dwindles
**As costs go up people fly less, lose currency and safety stats decrease
**The "cool" factor of flying disappears and everyone is "piloting" $100 drones with VR cameras and headsets and posting videos to Instagram
I am an optimistic guy, no really.
But I agree with the negative side of your post. I just don't think our societal changes favor GA. Hope I am wrong

Pessimistic view:

GA can NOT fight these large trends.

1. Demographics of an aging pilot population
2. Societal shift away from personal accomplishments, and activities with actual risk, and learned skill involved (virtual/cyber world takes precedence over real world)
3. Cost of acquisition, maintenance, repair, operation, and storage of GA aircraft
4. Governmental requirements, regulations, and associated costs, and complications

Optimistic view:

1. Some form of innovation allows practical, cost effective GA travel, and recreation
2. Attitude adjustment of younger people looking for real world, not virtual world challenges, and accomplishments. (gets their heads out of their phones, and X-boxes)

Back