430 WAAS

SKYKON

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SKYKON
New to the forum based in MN. I fly a 1978 Cardinal Classic with legacy panel except for recently added Appareo ESG transponder. We're very budget minded when considering additional avionics. What is the current street price for an installed Garmin 430 WAAS? Is there an alternative at a better price?

New to the forum based in MN. I fly a 1978 Cardinal Classic with legacy panel except for recently added Appareo ESG transponder. We're very budget minded when considering additional avionics. What is the current street price for an installed Garmin 430 WAAS? Is there an alternative at a better price?

The 430 was very popular, but I would not install a 430 because Garmin easily might quite supporting it. I would bite the bullet on this purchase.

I got that priced a few years ago. About $3500 for the installation. Don't remember what 430's were selling for. I got 78 Cardinal parts. Let me know if your looking for anything.

Depends what you are planning to do with it. Stand alone IFR GPS navigator? GPSS interface with an autopilot?

Upgrading a 430 is one thing...but new install from scratch of a discontinued product is another IMO.

I have a 430W and it is a workhorse it but no way would that the be my choice for a new install if I did not have one.

I need to defer to @Shawn and some others who will come along shortly....

Spend it once. The install labor for a 430W vs a GTN650 or IFD440 won't be significantly different. The price of the box WILL be significantly different.

That said, I recently added a 430W to my RV panel, we upgraded a 430 to W in the PA32, and will most likely go the upgrade route on the C177.

It seem that 430W are going for about $6000-6500 on Ebay. I just installed a new GTN650 for $10000 that the dealer charged. The price delta is about 3500-4000. To me the delta was worth the assurance of getting a modern GPS.

The 430 was very popular, but I would not install a 430 because Garmin easily might quite supporting it. I would bite the bullet on this purchase.
Concur. Both the Garmin GTN series and the Avidyne IFD series bring enough features and functionality to consider the added cost.

I doubt that will the case for quite a while. Given the number of 400 and 500 series units installed, it seems very unlikely that Garmin would orphan that line of GPS.

And everyone said the same thing about the MX20 when Garmin bought UPS.

There's just too many 430s out there for Garmin to abandon it - remember we're talking about Garmin not Apple. Its amazing the price they still command on the used market. I can see the logic of paying a couple thousand more for a GTN but for some folks a few thousand is a lot.

Garmin stopped repairing the 28v GNS430 in 2010. If you need one of those standard units repaired Garmin will insist it be upgraded to WAAS.

I doubt that will the case for quite a while. Given the number of 400 and 500 series units installed, it seems very unlikely that Garmin would orphan that line of GPS.

And everyone said the same thing about the MX20 when Garmin bought UPS.

How long is a long time? If you buy a used 430 + pay for the installation and 10 years later you have to upgrade + pay for installation again you payed more than buying a new model.

I was not addressing the financial consideration. Only whether they would stop supporting it. AFAIK, they are still supporting the MX20. And that was acquired with a takeover almost 20 years ago.

So in my opinion, I think the 400 and 500 series navigators will be supported for at least 10 years.

As to whether installing a 430 over a 650 today is smart financial move, that's entirely up to the person writing the check.

A year ago I installed a GTN625 instead of a 400W because it was only about $500 more than the used units I was finding. Had I found a 400w that was $1,500 less than the 625, I would have installed the 400w.

I was not addressing the financial consideration. Only whether they would stop supporting it. AFAIK, they are still supporting the MX20. And that was acquired with a takeover almost 20 years ago.

So in my opinion, I think the 400 and 500 series navigators will be supported for at least 10 years.

As to whether installing a 430 over a 650 today is smart financial move, that's entirely up to the person writing the check.

A year ago I installed a GTN625 instead of a 400W because it was only about $500 more than the used units I was finding. Had I found a 400w that was $1,500 less than the 625, I would have installed the 400w.

Your definition of supporting a product is different than mine.

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/bnt83/media/IMG_0013_zpsb2te2eyw.png.html][/URL]

Your definition of supporting a product is different than mine.

No, it's not.

I prefaced that comment with "AFAIK". Which means "As Far As I Know".

Do you know when they stopped supporting the MX20? Because that would be a somewhat relevant indicator of how long they supported the MX20 after acquiring it.

Repair service for the SL50, 60 and 70 navigator was discontinued 4/2015. Twelve years after Garmin acquired UPS.

The MX20 went to limited repair in 12/2011. So about 10 years after the acquisition. Considering that nearly everyone thought that Garmin would orphan the CNX80 the day after the acquisition, that's pretty surprising.

And in light of that, and considering the number of installed units, I think the 400 and 500 series navigators will be supported for quite a while.

But that's just my opinion (or guess).

another reason IMHO, is Garmin would lose a few customers to Avidyne, as the ifd440 is a slide in replacement, (my understanding) if true, that was/is a slick engineering and marketing move by Avidyne...

the biggest question mark is the displays when they run out that it. they are no longer being made and I have heard the supply is just about gone.

I researched this a couple of weeks back for a friend. A 430W goes for about $7900 plus or minus a few hundred, plus install and CDI (if you don't have a compatible one). You can get a non-WAAS 430 for around $5000 give or take, but still have to install and the WAAS upgrade currently runs around $4000, so it's more cost-effective (by a grand) to go with the 430W in the first place. Something to consider, since you already have the Appareo ESG would be to just go with the 430 and forgo having LPV capability for a savings of almost $3000. Avidyne units are too expensive, especially as replacements for the 430/530 and even more if you need the install kits. King never came up with a viable WAAS unit (KSN-770 too glitch and way too expensive) but they abandoned their GA customers after around 2001. I wouldn't go with any of the other units, like the Garmin/Apollo GXs, Garmin 155/300XL, KLN 89,90,94s since these won't be supported much longer except for few more years of database support.

Back