Pilatus PC-12 vs Beechcraft King Air 200 Which one is better?

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot

I will go first:

I personally like the PC-12, there isn't a better looking turboprop on the market today. It has an enclosed bathroom, less expensive annual every year and less fuel burn. I like the King air too but if I had to pick one it would definitely be the PC-12

I'd go King Air. Wait! Wait! I know you're shocked! Oh, no, you aren't.

The King Air has the ubiquitous ramp presence that can't be beat, plus they're all over for a reason. They're workhorses that are comfortable and reliable, with a good useful load and features. Plus, you've got two engines for when one fails.

The biggest positive from the King Air in my mind is that you can buy older ones that really aren't much different from the newer ones. The PC-12 hasn't been around as long, and you ultimately get more for your money with a used King Air. Now that price differential can easily be made up, but you're looking at a similar footprint (and thus hangar bill), etc. There are also more King Air varieties to choose from. PC-12 is, well, PC-12. King Air you can get a 90 (and many different 90s), 100, 200, 350. So long as you stick with a 200 or smaller you don't need a type rating, just your insurance-required training.

PC12, between the short field abilities, trailing link gear, cargo door and performance numbers

PC12 is buttugly. The "bathroom" is about the size of a coffin.

<250 hours/yr I'd take the PC-12. More than that and I'd take the KA. This is due to the inspection schedules and mx requirements and the nuances of hourly vs. calendar time.

If you are paying the bills, PC-12.

*Faster,
*More load carrying capability,
*Less onerous maintenance schedules, etc.
*Much lower fuel consumption
*More interior room & Cargo Door.

The king Air is actually a $iity design that's long in the tooth.

PC-12 all day.

One reason used King Airs are becoming affordable is they are being replaced by Pilatus P-12.

For trips under a couple hours, you pay more to carry around the second engine and the fuel it uses therefore losing payload.

Never really been much of a fan of either one. Don't dislike them but I'd take a TBM or better yet, an Epic any day.

I suppose if I had to pick between the two, I'd go with the PC12.

Last edited:
Haven't flown either but I had a friend fly a PC12 for a 135 and the plane looked amazing. So much technology in the NG models.

Whichever one has the better pay/QOL.

(because I'll certainly never have the means to ride in the back of either)

Fueling wise, PC-12 or bust!

King Air's are just uncomfortable to fuel. Always ladders, the inboards and outboards, the janky angles you have to get the nozzle to fit, the inboards are so far in the wing you have to stretch onto the wing or sit on it...

One reason used King Airs are becoming affordable is they are being replaced by Pilatus P-12.

For trips under a couple hours, you pay more to carry around the second engine and the fuel it uses therefore losing payload.

I agree. I suspect that we will start seeing more and more SE turboprops replacing the older turboprop twins in corporate flight departments and charter. Initial purchase costs on something like a PC-12 are going to be higher but ongoing operating costs should be less.

But you can buy a lot of airplane for a relatively low price if you're shopping the ME turboprop market these days which may draw some people in.

Which of your children do you prefer?

I would take either in a heartbeat.

Speaking from 100 hours in an E90 and 600 in a PC-12... if the only thing that mattered was my opinion from up front:
King Air.

Over the entire spectrum of options, capability, and potential:
PC-12.

If I just won a few million in the lottery I'd by TBM. I think the PC12 is a little too mainstream at this point and since I'm paying the bills the twin engine is out of the question, and it might be a little "too big" (if such a thing exists) to get into some airports

If money is not object, then why stop at a King Air? Dassault Falcon 8X

The fact that the single fan PC-12 versus the twin King Air is even a fair comparison speaks pretty well well for the PC-12.

Since I've never flown or ridden in either, I don't think I'm qualified to give an opinion on which is better. If I'm going purely on my own opinion of cool factor, there is no comparison. Pilatus for the win.

I'm partial to the 200, but that may be because I have a lot of time in it and thought it was a versatile airplane. I have no time flying a Pilatus. But I have ridden in the back of both, and they were pretty much indistinguishable from a passenger standpoint.

I repeat there isn't a better looking turbo prop on the market today!

You can write it is a song and get the whole world to sing it but it doesnt make the PC12 sharper than the Epic.

Now about the on the market thing...you must be a pilot...with the hair splitting and all.

o_O:Do_O

If I just won a few million in the lottery I'd by TBM. I think the PC12 is a little too mainstream at this point and since I'm paying the bills the twin engine is out of the question, and it might be a little "too big" (if such a thing exists) to get into some airports

If money is not object, then why stop at a King Air? Dassault Falcon 8X

7B3. 2100' with trees at each end.

I repeat there isn't a better looking turbo prop on the market today!

Looks like a propane tank with a cone and a prop welded to it. The PC12 is rather homely looking.

I once saw a PC-12 start-up, load pax, and pull away from the FBO. It taxied down to the other end of the one runway airport, turned around, and taxied back to the FBO. Engine running the door opened and guy from the FBO brought up someones travel coffee mug. Door closed and plane taxied back down to the other end. Thats an expensive cup of joe, but it'd be twice as expensive in a King Air.

I once saw a PC-12 start-up, load pax, and pull away from the FBO. It taxied down to the other end of the one runway airport, turned around, and taxied back to the FBO. Engine running the door opened and guy from the FBO brought up someones travel coffee mug. Door closed and plane taxied back down to the other end. Thats an expensive cup of joe, but it'd be twice as expensive in a King Air.

Ever bought a Yeti tumbler ?

Ever bought a Yeti tumbler ?

That's why you buy the $8 knock off made in the exact same factory in China ... Ozark Trail, available at WalMart.

They're even being sued for it. Doubt the Chinese plant cares much, though. LOL.

Sorry Yeti. Not paying $30 for what you're having made in China for less than $5.

The actual choice between these two awesome planes is a personal one that people will never agree on. I think that the only point of agreement possible is this: The Pilatus has one major flaw: The cup holder in the giant, upward-opening, rear door. It's the most efficient means available of delivering Coca-Cola to aircraft carpet.

The actual choice between these two awesome planes is a personal one that people will never agree on. I think that the only point of agreement possible is this: The Pilatus has one major flaw: The cup holder in the giant, upward-opening, rear door. It's the most efficient means available of delivering Coca-Cola to aircraft carpet.

Carpet? You aren't a real PC-12 pilot until you taken one down the back! (My one and only time, fortunately it was a drop off, and I had a clean shirt. It really sucks at the beginning of a multi-leg day. :) )

Carpet? You aren't a real PC-12 pilot until you taken one down the back! (My one and only time, fortunately it was a drop off, and I had a clean shirt. It really sucks at the beginning of a multi-leg day. :) )
I didn't know PC-12 pilots could afford clean shirts. :)

(I'm not a PC-12 pilot. I have a tiny bit of time in one that I'll cherish forever but will mostly dream of flying one enough to qualify for insurance coverage.)

Back