PA32 Clips Wires and Traffic Signal after Engine Out

"the two-passenger plane clipped powerlines and hit a street light, which raptured a fuel cell"

"Despite the ensuring fire, no one was seriously injured"

Quality as we knew it has left the building.
I knew we outsourced shoddy parts manufacturing to Asia.
Didn't know that we outsourced shoddy news manufacturing there too.

The video of that accident/incident was a perfect tool for the media that portrays GA as a hazard to the well being of everyone. Although factual, it was used with intent to scare the sheeple.

Portray it bad for enough time and people begin to believe it. I'm just thankful all walked away.

Betcha that pilot no longer thinks "singles are safer than twins"

Stuff I learned from that article:

-apparently there is a fuel cell STC for Pipers (here we are complaining about 100ll pricing and they have hydrogen technology for the O-540...)
-apparently those fuel cells can feel emotion

"Fuel cell" is not a term unique to hydrogen energy. Ask any hot rodder or car guy what a fuel cell is and it will not have anything to do with hydrogen or electricity. Not to say there was any top-notch journalism happening, but this one is forgiveable. An automotive fuel cell looks remarkably similar to an in-wing tank.

Time for me to climb on my soapbox: this was a classic "impossible turn" accident. If he had not caught the wire/pole.whatever and ruptured the tank the story would have ended differently. PAE is 600' above sea level, the town of Mukilteo slopes down toward the water. Had he opted to land straight ahead or plus-minus 45 degrees he had in excess of 600 feet (don't know the altitude when he began the 180) in which to select something soft and cheap.

Always plan to lose an engine at the worst possible time and have an action plan in mind. Emergencies cause tunnel vision, so you must rely on training and practice to get you through the tight spots. How log has it been since you eyeballed the terrain off the departure end of the runway you plan to use for takeoff with an eye to locating that cheap, soft alternative?

Edit: Just checked Google Earth. There are wooded areas within 30 degrees of the runway 16 centerline.

Bob
Thanks for the reminder Bob. Good advice!

"Fuel cell" is not a term unique to hydrogen energy. Ask any hot rodder or car guy what a fuel cell is and it will not have anything to do with hydrogen or electricity. Not to say there was any top-notch journalism happening, but this one is forgiveable. An automotive fuel cell looks remarkably similar to an in-wing tank.

As a life-long Motorsports enthusiast/participant and someone who built a 69 Camaro in what would now be called "resto-mod" style I am familiar with that definition. Was poking fun at the high-quality journalism with the version that a moronic journalist would be most familiar with since it has been newsworthy as green tech.

Betcha that pilot no longer thinks "singles are safer than twins"
Depending on what airspeed etc his engine quit a twin may have killed him via vmc spin. I know a competent pilot can handle engine outs in a twin, but those accidents also seem all too common and rarely have people walking away

With regards to "having an excess of 600 feet" the Cirrus chute may have worked, I believe the altitude loss is 400ft. Imagine the good press if instead of a fireball we'd seen a plane parachute onto a road...

Back