I really messed up.....

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I bought the wrong kind of spaghetti sauce. No meat! OMG!
2017-05-03 18.30.45.jpg

Your problem started when you bought spaghetti sauce. ick.

Your problem started when you bought spaghetti sauce. ick.
I do agree but I am single and I was hungry. This kind did not taste real good. The one with garlic tastes better and has chunks of veggies in it thereby making it healthy. LOL

I do agree but I am single and I was hungry. This kind did not taste real good. The one with garlic tastes better and has chunks of veggies in it thereby making it healthy. LOL
Prego=bad, Newman most of the time.

Will have to try it some time. Usually the store brand is pretty good to. Surprisingly.
Ya, bought a jar of private selection last trip. Will see.

Other than some QC concerns most of the Newman stuff has good flavors.

Ya, bought a jar of private selection last trip. Will see.

Other than some QC concerns most of the Newman stuff has good flavors.
Sounds like Kroger brand. Haven't tried that. I usually bypass Kroger and go to Meijer, the regional chain.

Sounds like Kroger brand. Haven't tried that. I usually bypass Kroger and go to Meijer, the regional chain.
Around here the choice is among Safeway, king super (Kroger), walmart, and targèt. I mostly use the king super. They have a couple stores nearby which try to be competitive with Walmart.

Of course the high end organic places are available but I just don't go there.

So, you make sauce from scratch?

When I cook at home (weekends), yes.

Most weekdays I order from the menu. I try not to go to places that are just opening jars.

If you must eat tomato sauce from a jar, Rao's is the way to go.

It's pointless to buy meaty marinara sauce in my opinion. They never will have enough meat in them to do the job. If I'm in charge of spaghetti (hypothetical question yes) but let's say I am, I'm going to fry up couple pounds of ground beef, stir in the sauce, and pasta people can put it on their spaghetti. I'm putting it on salad.

Ravioli though (not member @Ravioli in this context) is a different animal. Meat sauce and ravioli are awkward. Assuming there is meat in the ravioli. If there is not it would not be awkward. Well it still would be. My ravioli, if I made it, would be baseball sized and stuffed with seasoned ground beef. Well maybe not that big. Give me a reference size. Let's say a little bit larger than a ping pong ball. Then you slather it with your tomato sauce infused with basil and other aromatic herbs.

Damn, I should be a chef.

We always get the garlic or plain stuff and either add homemade meatballs to it or brown some plain hamburger in a pan and mix it all in.

Oy. Easy solution. 1/2 pound of ground pork, 1/2 pound of ground beef. (optional: 1/2 pound of ground lamb if you like that flavor). Dice an onion. Add bread crumbs. Break in an egg. Season as required. (garlic, salt, pepper. Cayenne, parmesan, oregano optional) Make 1 to 1.5 inch balls and place on a baking pan and stick in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Add to your sauce with pasta. Done - pasta sauce fiasco solved.

You can thank Alton Brown for the recipe. :)

My recipe is a real simple one I got from the Skinner spaghetti package decades ago. Just ground beef, onion, garlic, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, a spoonful of sugar, and oregano. The secret is to get really good quality "fresh" dried oregano. I always use canned whole tomatoes (the diced ones just aren't the same) and cut them up myself with a scissors in the skillet, let it all simmer an hour. Easy peasy and off the chart better than store bought.

My personal favorite is Fettucini Puttanesca, despite the odd name. (it roughly translates to "flat noodles with prostitute sauce")

First, start the pasta water. Then, take 1/4 cup olive oil, heat in skillet. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion, 4 cloves of minced garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes. Saute until lightly browned. Open a 28 ounce can of plum tomatoes, drain the liquid and save it, chop the tomatoes coarsely, add to skillet along with half a teaspoon of salt. Stir, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Start cooking about 3/4 of a pound of pasta. Uncover, add the tomato liquid, 12 Kalamata olives that have been sliced, a can of anchovies that have been chopped, and about 3 tablespoons drained capers. Add the sauce to the drained pasta and serve. Some people like to add grated cheese to this, I think it's better without.

Last edited:
I don't make my own, because I could never measure up to mom (R.I.P.). Classico garlic and basil or Newman's (something with garlic in it). I usually add Italian sausage, but occasionally meatballs.

It's pointless to buy meaty marinara sauce in my opinion. They never will have enough meat in them to do the job. If I'm in charge of spaghetti (hypothetical question yes) but let's say I am, I'm going to fry up couple pounds of ground beef, stir in the sauce, and pasta people can put it on their spaghetti. I'm putting it on salad.

Ravioli though (not member @Ravioli in this context) is a different animal. Meat sauce and ravioli are awkward. Assuming there is meat in the ravioli. If there is not it would not be awkward. Well it still would be. My ravioli, if I made it, would be baseball sized and stuffed with seasoned ground beef. Well maybe not that big. Give me a reference size. Let's say a little bit larger than a ping pong ball. Then you slather it with your tomato sauce infused with basil and other aromatic herbs.

Damn, I should be a chef.

We have a gluten free person in our household, and we do eat pasta. GF spaghetti doesn't usually work well, we use penne if all four of us are eating pasta.

It's pointless to buy meaty marinara sauce in my opinion. They never will have enough meat in them to do the job.

Agreed. Always extra Italian sausage. I like them still in links, other folks may want the ground up variety.

You'll know there's enough meat in the sauce when you can't tell if it was good or bad sauce to begin with. LOL.

I'm not overly fond of Clemenza's recipe. Putting sugar in tomato sauce is an infamia. In fact, that's the problem with most jarred sauces. If the tomatoes were any good, to begin with, you wouldn't need to add sugar.

I like to use yellow or orange cherry-picked tomatoes. Get some good olive oil hot in the pan. Add half a large sweet onion, 3-5 cloves of garlic, a metric ****load of fresh basil and oregano, some red pepper flakes and probably a half pound of tiny tomatoes. Let that go for a minute until it smells good and the tomatoes are getting ready to explode. Add half pound hot sausage and half pound lean beef or turkey. Crank the heat and start popping the tomatoes while you break up the meat. Once the meat is browned simmer and start on the pasta.

I like the Garlic and Herb, Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic, or Traditional Prego. That's our go to sauce, but we always add our own meat.
Newman's Own and Bertolli are a pretty good too, but a bit watery for my taste.

Back