Lemon Drops

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
After several trials and errors, I finally found some Sugar Free lemon drops that are REALLY good, very lemony, and don't have the chemical taste of artificial sweeteners.

301766894.jpg

I like them since I still get a major sweet tooth craving after eating lunch or dinner. One of those hard candies is sweet enough and last long enough to take care of the craving, yet not push my blood sugar numbers into the 200's.

Me too Greg.

I made the mistake of flavoring mine with Crystal Light margarita. So, I haven't had a margarita since then and that was four years ago.

Golightly ... what a misleading name for that gawd-awful prep that sort of starts off tasting like warm mountain dew and ends up just beyond description ... :(

Lemon drops bring back a great memory for me.

When I was around 10 years of age my father had a business partner who had a 560 Aero Commander. The first flight I took in it I happened to bring along some lemon drops. I remember sucking on them while I sat in the right seat & flew. I thought the control yoke coming up from the floor was real cool & I loved the great view from the cockpit as I looked back at the engine purring along on the wing. When you landed & walked out of the big door at the back of the cabin you really felt important.

I've always loved Aero Commanders after that. They were way ahead of their time.

Still haven't flown one yet.

OMG ... I just cringed when I read the mfg name ... horrors of my last colonoscopy prep...

Me too Greg.

I made the mistake of flavoring mine with Crystal Light margarita. So, I haven't had a margarita since then and that was four years ago.

Golightly ... what a misleading name for that gawd-awful prep that sort of starts off tasting like warm mountain dew and ends up just beyond description ... :(

And you guys didn't post this in the "what happens when you turn 50" thread? Seems pretty important. :eek:

@AggieMike88 one side note, they're sugar free but not calorie free. A packet of Splenda is surprisingly the exact same number of calories as a packet of sugar.

Reason: Labeling rules allow them to say it's "zero calories" if it's lower than five, or something like that. I'd have to go dig up the article.

Also watch those sugar free candies around dogs. Most have stuff in them that'll poison dogs.

Better living through chemicals! Well maybe...

@AggieMike88 one side note, they're sugar free but not calorie free.
Agreed. Nutrition label says a serving does 45 calories and it takes 4 pieces to do a serving.

Fortunately, I don't need/want to consume that many. So just one every few hours does it for me.

And better than the sugared ones I would get... My brain kept chasing the sugar high so I would consume one after another. No good for teeth or diabetes.

And Thanks for the warning on dogs consuming artificial sweeteners.

I love the big "Gluten Free" at the top. Gotta jump on the latest bandwagon while the followers don't know what it means . . . . .

Me too Greg.

I mixed mine with a gatorade bottle. Thankfully I only had to do one packet.

I love the big "Gluten Free" at the top. Gotta jump on the latest bandwagon while the followers don't know what it means . . . . .

Years back when the bottled water became fad popular, I saw some advertised as fat free and cholesterol free.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Me too Greg.

Mine wasn't "Golightly" but I made sure to mix it with something that I don't currently drink--one of the clear-to-milky gatorade products, frosted cherry or some such. Wasn't too bad, just a lot of it, a glass every ten minutes until the half-gallon was gone.

@AggieMike88 one side note, they're sugar free but not calorie free. A packet of Splenda is surprisingly the exact same number of calories as a packet of sugar.

Reason: Labeling rules allow them to say it's "zero calories" if it's lower than five, or something like that. I'd have to go dig up the article.

Also watch those sugar free candies around dogs. Most have stuff in them that'll poison dogs.

Better living through chemicals! Well maybe...

Yes and No. Splenda and Sugar contains about the same amount of calories per weight.

However, Splenda is MUCH lighter than sugar so when you compare per volume there is a significant difference (96 cals per cup vs. 770 per cup).

Since the sweetness of splenda is selected so it can be directly substitude on a per-volume basis, it still has 8 times fewer calories than sugar.

Yes and No. Splenda and Sugar contains about the same amount of calories per weight.

However, Splenda is MUCH lighter than sugar so when you compare per volume there is a significant difference (96 cals per cup vs. 770 per cup).

Since the sweetness of splenda is selected so it can be directly substitude on a per-volume basis, it still has 8 times fewer calories than sugar.

Still. It's marketed as "zero calorie" as are a lot of things, which is just a loophole in our labeling system.

Back