For Sale 1946 Champ

Bozo

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Bozo
What does anyone thing? Looks good, mid time, price too high?

https://columbusga.craigslist.org/for/6037539961.html

00R0R_eZ7Mdluao23_600x450.jpg

That's a real airplane too, I learned how to fly in a 7AC.

Only thing it's lacking is no one out the 85hp into it and it's got a little time on the engine.

But over all it's priced fair

That's a really good price IF they did the things that should have been done to a 70 year old airframe. On those, you really need to look hard at the spars and replace 'em if they are showing their age. Same thing with lift struts. It is also good to carefully remove the welded on trim around the door (on the right) and the window on the left. The factory didn't find a way to corrosion proof the internals of those areas, so they have been exposed for a long time. Finally, there is a finger patch/reinforcement at the confluence of the "A" pillar, the tube in front of the door, and the tube that heads forward towards the firewall. It is good if that is installed. Without that, the structure around the door tends to sag over time.

Which brings up something easy and objective to check to see if the door surround structure has sagged is to measure and compare two sets of data. Measure between the hole where the bolt attaches the main spar on the left side and where the lift strut attaches on the same side. Take the same measurement on the right side. They should be the same. They usually aren't. The right one will be smaller if the structure has "sagged" over the years. How much sag is acceptable? 1/4 - 3/8 wouldn't bother me...

If the resto was done right and compressions and oil analysis are good that's a very good price for a 7AC!

I'm with shepherd, seems high for a mid to high time 65 hp champ.

Something odd about looking at a photo of a plane for sale... with a crane in the background.

Back