GMX200 Chartview

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
I didn't pay much attention to researching the GMX200 when I bought my plane. Was thinking I could kick the Ipad by getting the charts on there in the future. Now that I'm reading about it, it seems that it is very expensive to "unlock" chartview if your device isn't already unlocked. Saw somewhere online it may be 2500 just to unlock!

My question: How can I tell if my unit is already unlocked?

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GMX200Standard_InstallationManual.pdf

5.3.4 70BChartView Activation

The GMX 200 can display Jeppesen charts using the optional ChartView feature, which must be

activated. This section describes how to activate the ChartView feature in the GMX 200.

1. Turn the GMX 200 off.

NOTE

The ChartView Activation Card only can only be used on one

GMX 200. A new ChartView Activation card must be used for each

GMX 200 that has the ChartView feature activated.

2. Remove the database SD card from the front SD card slot and insert a ChartView Activation Card

P/N 010-00489-50.

3. Turn the GMX 200 on – the GMX 200 will begin activating the ChartView feature.

4. Wait for the message “ChartView Feature Unlocked. Please restart unit.” to appear. Turn off the

GMX 200, remove the activation card and insert the database card that was previously removed.

5. Turn on the GMX 200 and wait for the power up sequence to complete

6. Repeatedly press the FN key to display the available functions. Verify that the CHART function is

now available.

NOTE

The ChartView Activation Card must not be used to store database files,

including NavData, SafeTaxi, FliteChart, and ChartView

The GMX 200 ChartView feature does not currently represent a sole replacement for the paper chart within the cockpit. The presentation of the chart data is intended for supplemental use and to provide additional situational awareness. The pilot must still have access to the printed chart as required by FAA regulations.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-00607-02_D.pdf

Garmin and Jepp won't admit to it being complete but that's mostly a liability thing. In fact, it's as good (better since they're Jepp plates) than the average EFB presentation. That applies to ChartView alone which are the approach plates. The GMX200 IFR (enroute) page is NOWHERE NEAR being close enough to use for sole means. You'll need paper charts or one of the EFB programs.

Just got off the phone with Garmin. They explained how to get into the GMX to verify if it is unlocked or not. I'm guessing it's not but will find out next time I swing by the hangar.

If it's not, then you have to pay Garmin $2395 to unlock it. Then pay ~$500 a year for the charts and you are correct, it's technically not legal without paper or approved EFB. I'm feeling at this moment it doesn't make sense to pay all that money and still be required to keep the Ipad. If it happens to be unlocked then I will get the subscription.

Thanks guys.

Unless you are flying part 135 or a turbojet something, it's perfectly legal. There's no requirement to have charts at all. Chartview is as good as Foreflight or the atrocious JEPP applications (though the latter are finally improving to be somewhat usable).

Back