For the hams (amateur radio) amongst us

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
An unmarried female is designated a YL (young lady)

When you marry her, she becomes an XYL (ex young lady)

If you and she split the sheets, does she then become an XXYL?

:cheerswine:

Jim

An unmarried female is designated a YL (young lady)

When you marry her, she becomes an XYL (ex young lady)

If you and she split the sheets, does she then become an XXYL?

:cheerswine:

Jim
Maybe you become an XOM (ex old man)?

Beats me. Been a ham for just over 28 years, been married to the same wonderful woman longer than that. She's always been an XYL (or YF) as long as I've had my ham ticket. :)

Cockney rhyming slang has a better term for the wife:

"Trouble and Strife"

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
The XYL also holds a Advanced Class ticket. She never got around to taking the Amateur Extra written after they got rid of the 20WPM requirement.

I hold an Extra license. Never been interested in contesting, but I am trying to get my WAYLs award.....

Advanced. But have been thinking about doing the extra.

I need to get back on the air. My Yaesu took a lightning hit last year. It's not fixable, and I haven't sprung for a replacement yet. All my spare cash is going toward flying lessons... :)

Sorry Jim, I don't buy either one of your assertions.

First off, the use of 's to pluralize numbers (and even single or groups of letters that aren't words) is acceptable (indeed it used to be preferred, but styles are changing).

While 73s is sort of redundant with 73, you are expressing multiple best wishes which is still spoken in words as "best wishes."

While 73s is sort of redundant with 73, you are expressing multiple best wishes which is still spoken in words as "best wishes."

73 by itself means already "best wishes" not "best wish." This was an old railroad telegrapher's sign-off. No one sending code sends it as a plural, and for that matter I don't recall ever seeing "73s" when using a digital mode and I use PSK-31 quite a bit.

I understand that but you don't make plural words plural. They just stay in the same form.

I'm a ham (advanced), and I have a XYF...but, I probably wouldn't talk about her over the ham bands...too many expletives.

not a ham (altho my school teachers would probably all disagree with that) ... but we had a pair of pretty cool HF radios (among many others) in the E-2 Hawkeye and on long, boring, nothing to do flights, I would deploy the trailing wire antenna (a mile or more of antenna wire possible in that, iirc) and cruise up and down thru the 2-29.999 MHz dial to listen for someone to talk to ... never failed to get a surprised "What? Where?" when I responded "30,000' over the ocean - insert general location here - " I did get a few postcards from some folks (what do you call those? QSL cards?) and I would send them a squadron patch or sticker in return. Wish I still had those.

Wow...the Heathkit Maurauder and is that a DX100 are really wierd with all that slick digital stuff.

It's sort of like someone putting a bottle of two-buck chuck in their cellar full of grand cru stuff.

Wow...the Heathkit Maurauder and is that a DX100 are really wierd with all that slick digital stuff.

It's sort of like someone putting a bottle of two-buck chuck in their cellar full of grand cru stuff.
Actually, it looks like an EF Johnson Valiant rather than a DX100. I once had a Johnson Thunderbolt linear (or was it an interference generator?) - same color scheme & meter style.

Disposed of it when I moved back from Texas to DC area as the incremental cost of shipping was about what it was worth.

The Valiant and the Maurauder are both probably newer than the RCA broadcast transmitter. I do kinda like that he's using broadcast mic (SM-58) and audio processing equipment (CRL stuff).

I dunno; I think it's more like parking a '32 coupe next to a Porsche in your garage.

Back