arnoha

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
arnoha
So, would I be stupid if I bought a Cessna 195? Any opinions on what variety of stupid?

Kinda awesome. You prepared to own a vintage airplane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, definitely not ready. That's why you're all going to talk me out of it.

You have lots of money for unplanned maintenance? Possibly for expensive rare parts? A great A&P? Comfortable in tailwheels?

Join Beechtalk. Lots of 195 guys on there. Auburn Pearman is about as knowledgeable as it gets when it comes to those.

Kinda awesome. You prepared to own a vintage airplane?

Right, the simpler systems, fewer ADs and SBs and super tuff construction can take a little getting used to.

Highest dispatch rate with the lowest required MX has been 40's airframes in my experince.

You have lots of money for unplanned maintenance? Possibly for expensive rare parts? A great A&P? Comfortable in tailwheels?

Lol, nonsense. The simpler the airframe normally the less MX, and he's buying a 195, not some orphaned oddball composite airplane or something.

To the OP, sounds like a great idea, AWSOME planes, just spend the money to get a nice example and ofcourse the standard issue proper prebuy just like anything else.

Nice to see someone smart enough to make owning make sense, vs just buying something boring you could just rent anyways :)

I watch the 195s quite a bit. Will probably end up buying one someday.

If you do, let me know and I will direct you to a great instructor. I almost bought one but my friends talked me out of it and I pick up a Bonanza next week.

I am a firm believer in the crosswind landing gear.

If you do go down that road, either buy from or get a good pre buy from Barron Aviation or John Collett on Garden City Kansas.

Those are lovely airplanes. But having flown behind a few radials, I would probably not do it. The old guys who know how to work on them are retiring. Mx will be expensive and depending on where you are, you might need to travel to get it. Having said that, I would the the first to put my hand up for a ride. :)

Wasn't familiar with the 195 but just read up on them, beautiful airplane, and the performance looks down right sporty! If I could afford it I would buy one!

I am a firm believer in the crosswind landing gear.

If you do go down that road, either buy from or get a good pre buy from Barron Aviation or John Collett on Garden City Kansas.
That too. I've heard they can be a handful on the ground.

No. The world needs 195s. And the world needs pilots for them.

Weren't these things business-class airplanes back in their day? Seating for 5, 1250lb useful and 148kts on 16gph (per Wikipedia) sound like some pretty impressive numbers.

Weren't these things business-class airplanes back in their day? Seating for 5, 1250lb useful and 148kts on 16gph (per Wikipedia) sound like some pretty impressive numbers.

Kinda the PA32 of its day, just with simpler systems.

If you look at their biggest competitor when they were in production, it was the Bonanza! Both came out in 1947. It's hard to see a Bonanza and a 195 next to each other and imagine this. The Bonanza was a sleek machine that even from the 40's still looks fairly modern. Cessna was still going with the art deco look, big round engine, luxury. I love the 195s!

A friend of mine just bought a 165 Airmaster... now that's a dream plane for me!
18034265_1210069175779010_6892682670118869316_n.jpg

I wont talk you out of it, but, along with Will from the post above, I'll hate you. Unless of course you'd give me a ride. LOVE the looks of that plane. If I thought it would do the same thing as the 210 I'm looking for I'd be all over it!

As you might guess our opinion would be from our logo: Beautiful planes. Joy to fly. Great conversation starter.

Go for it.

Good God, I just posted a thread where everyone on POA chooses to agree with each other. A little light grumbling about how you'll all hate ME should I do it, but besides that...

I'm not in the serious buy phase just yet, but I was realizing I wanted something to fly more people. I'd been looking boring: Cherokee Six/Saratoga/Lance mostly, as the 206 is priced to the sky and the A36 is a bit limited on weight (but not speed!). I don't actually need a six seat...five would do, so I took a peek at the 195. And it work...and it's in my price range...and it's pretty...and it's interesting..and...and...and...you peoples are supposed to convince me that I need to pick sensible and you're not doing that!

I don't know if it's an option for you, but some 182s came with a small-size 5th seat in the forward cargo area. Probably not many, though, and it's not likely to fit a teenager.

you peoples are supposed to convince me that I need to pick sensible and you're not doing that!
What makes you think a 195 isn't sensible. And relative to what?

I really enjoyed my ride in Greg's 190/5, it was a really nice aircraft. Go for it!

I don't know if it's an option for you, but some 182s came with a small-size 5th seat in the forward cargo area. Probably not many, though, and it's not likely to fit a teenager.

182? 195?

It's usually best to go with the bigger number. ;) :D
You won't be bored, or boring, on the ramp!

182? 195?

It's usually best to go with the bigger number. ;) :D
You won't be bored, or boring, on the ramp!

Yeah, I know. A 195 is 13 more than a 182. But a 210 is another 15. And a 414 is way up there.

But a PA32? That's 150 less than a 182.

Yeah, I know. A 195 is 13 more than a 182. But a 210 is another 15. And a 414 is way up there.

But a PA32? That's 150 less than a 182.

Hmmmm. Boeing's latest is 592 more than a 195.
Definitely food for thought!

Back