List of ADS-B Out xpdrs and options?

<speculation alert> The HSI G5 will probably require installation of a magnetometer at the very least, which could be troublesome to get passed the compass swing. My guess is these will end up near wing tips like so many are, so adding costs to running those wires. I'm guessing also that this will have a standby battery just like the AI G5 has, and will require the capacity test be accomplished per the Instructions for Continued Airworthiness also like the AI G5. The capacity test is dirt simple but each battery is $150, so if you had two G5 and both batteries failed at an annual that adds $300 to the bill in parts.

Everyone who buys should be aware of these details.

(see section 4 Airworthiness Limitations)
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-11_01.pdf

I'm not sure what the standby battery for the Aspen costs or how many years they last.

The limited G5 documentation already mentions the magnetometer and location limitations.

Section 4 is curiously written. I've never seen an airworthiness limitations section signed and stating there are no additional airworthiness limitations. Its always been signed if there are additional limitations and not signed if no additional limitations. See post #42

Section 4 is curiously written. I've never seen an airworthiness limitations section signed and stating there are no additional airworthiness limitations. Its always been signed if there are additional limitations and not signed if no additional limitations. See post #42

Yeah, I wouldn't know that or know why. My deepest involvement with an STC is "Is the manual on board the aircraft taking up a couple of pounds of useful load? I don't plan on reading it in flight." :)

So you're wanting something to do the ADS-B out duties?
yup...I already have ADS-B in...and WAAS GPS. :D

so far my options are:
1. GTX 330ES
2. KT74
3. ADS600B - NavWorx - but not seriously till that debacle is worked out....but we should hear something soon.

yup...I already have ADS-B in...and WAAS GPS. :D

so far my options are:
1. GTX 330ES
2. KT74
3. ADS600B - NavWorx - but not seriously till that debacle is worked out....but we should hear something soon.

I have the exact same situation, a WAAS source from my 530. Hence no interest in any of the units with built in GPS, and I just want ADS-B Out. Don't see any need to pay up for panel mount IN capability in a certified box like the 345 when so many non-certified options available at much lower cost.

The Garmin 335 without the built in GPS is also an option (and I would probably do that over a 330ES) but I think they will eventually have a deal on those so am waiting.

GTX345 and the L3 NGT9000 are two possibles.

The L3 looks like a great box, but it only comes with the built in GPS so that means putting a second WAAS GPS antenna on his plane.

Two. Last I looked, Aspen was significantly higher than that for their PFD.

Strikes me as an apples and oranges comparison. The Aspen is competing with Garmin's G500/600 retrofit, not the G5. If you think the G5 is going to take sales away from Aspen, just imagine how it will cannibalise Garmin's even more expensive left-side-of-panel product. That is why I seriously doubt Garmin is in any hurry to couple the G5 to any autopilots.

The G5 is strictly a VFR product, or backup to the primary autopilot capable IFR in the panel, imo.

The G5 is strictly a VFR product, or backup to the primary autopilot capable IFR in the panel, imo.

What point is an HSI, VFR?

And there's no need for an autopilot for IFR.

It's a gyro replacement with an HSI in the bottom hole and an AI replacement in the top hole.

Coupled with an IFR GPS, it's what any non-autopilot equipped basic IFR aircraft typically needs.

I can't imagine they were insane and it can't be used IFR. There'd be absolutely no point in making it an HSI and getting the STC.

There is nothing in any of the STC documents limiting it to VFR use or a standby instrument.

I understand that. But if one is serious about IFR equipment in their airplane they aren't going to replace vacuum operated gyros that support the auto pilot with a G5. They'll either keep the mechanical gyros maintained or change them for an Aspen or Garmin G500.

What point is an HSI, VFR?

And there's no need for an autopilot for IFR.

It's a gyro replacement with an HSI in the bottom hole and an AI replacement in the top hole.

Coupled with an IFR GPS, it's what any non-autopilot equipped basic IFR aircraft typically needs.

I can't imagine they were insane and it can't be used IFR. There'd be absolutely no point in making it an HSI and getting the STC.

You say there is "no need" for an autopilot for IFR, and that is technically correct. But if you do enough single pilot IFR in IMC you'll quickly change your mind, especially if you have a spouse and kids in the plane, or to go home to.

You say there is "no need" for an autopilot for IFR, and that is technically correct. But if you do enough single pilot IFR in IMC you'll quickly change your mind, especially if you have a spouse and kids in the plane, or to go home to.

Sure would, but I don't and the airplane rarely does. It's Colorado. 300 days of sunshine a year. The entire purpose of the Instrument rating and staying current is for the very low percentage of time the aircraft leaves the high plains states. Flyable IMC for a non de-iced single around here is exceedingly rare.

Spending $20K+ on a solid IMC panel and autopilot around here is total madness.

But dumping the vacuum system and gyros? That's smart. Garmin has an excellent niche there. It'll work really well in older trainers too. No need for an A/P there. And an Aspen system was complete overkill.

And the other 65 days are snow. ;)

If it fits your holster go for it. I won't be considering it for mine.

And the other 65 days are snow. ;)

If it fits your holster go for it. I won't be considering it for mine.
Considering Denverpilot's airplane (and mine) if it's snowing around here, it's not flying weather. More important, spending $20k for the panel on airplanes worth $35k to $60k just aint worth it either.

The L3 looks like a great box, but it only comes with the built in GPS so that means putting a second WAAS GPS antenna on his plane.
Read the 2nd article I linked... they say something about utilizing an approved splitter.

Considering Denverpilot's airplane (and mine) if it's snowing around here, it's not flying weather. More important, spending $20k for the panel on airplanes worth $35k to $60k just aint worth it either.

Snowing or thunderstorms. Not much else that's IMC here. Once in a while... but it'll also usually have ice in it.

Read the 2nd article I linked... they say something about utilizing an approved splitter.

Thank you for pointing that out!
For some reason I couldn't get the link to open the article when you first posted it, but it worked fine this morning.

Snowing or thunderstorms. Not much else that's IMC here. Once in a while... but it'll also usually have ice in it.

You don't use your plane to go anywhere else?

If we can't get out of the storm area, doesn't matter where we want to go.
This sounds out of the ordinary to have significant winter precip in your territory this late....

Uh....have you looked at Colorado weather today? We're in winter weather storm watch. The forecast is 2-6 inches of snow in Denver and more on the plains. Of course the mountains have been getting snow all season, Aspen and others have extended the season. In Feb & March, temps in the 70s. And next weekend, back into the 70s but this weekend? Not even going near the airport. I'll be happy if the landscape company plows the driveways.

April is traditionally the 2nd snowiest month of the year. And then there's the Tstorms every afternoon in May, June & July.

This sounds out of the ordinary to have significant winter precip in your territory this late....

Nope. It's usually not cold for long, but our March/April "showers" are usually in the form of snow. It melts in a day or two and we'e back into the 70s.

The blizzard that blew for two days and stacked snow higher than the county snowplows and buried a couple of them, a couple years ago, was in early May.

People that move here get all sorts of cranky about it their first year or two. That's probably funnier to watch than the weather. "But I already took my snow tires off!"

e80ce1a22536d620c87f2011d1ed8d21.jpg

I do remember being in Denver about 9-10-ish years ago in early April when it was clear and warm when I got there, and 2 days later, a blizzard occurred that shut down the city and airport. Waiting for rebooking by the airlines was gonna take too long so we drove home.

I do remember being in Denver about 9-10-ish years ago in early April when it was clear and warm when I got there, and 2 days later, a blizzard occurred that shut down the city and airport. Waiting for rebooking by the airlines was gonna take too long so we drove home.

...and never went back. :D

Nope. It's usually not cold for long, but our March/April "showers" are usually in the form of snow. It melts in a day or two and we'e back into the 70s.

The blizzard that blew for two days and stacked snow higher than the county snowplows and buried a couple of them, a couple years ago, was in early May.

People that move here get all sorts of cranky about it their first year or two. That's probably funnier to watch than the weather. "But I already took my snow tires off!"
I don't send the winter wools and down jacket to the dry cleaner until June.

I did look. USB charging ports and not much else unless their site sucks and only shows a partial grid.

Appareo is something like General Motors. If you google "S10" you will find that it is their only truck and then you have to ask how long they will be in the truck business. The answer is "a very long time". If the S10 ever goes away, GM will replace it with something else and I can still get truck parts for a 20 year old truck.

Jim

$285 install? It's almost worth it to fly from Denver to Florida...Best install estimate I've gotten is $1700.
Well, that's the price you pay for not knowing how to do it yourself. I can't quote prices on a public forum only to say that DIY Appareos are available for a lot less than list price AND DIY labor is whatever you think your time is worth.

jw

Well, that's the price you pay for not knowing how to do it yourself. I can't quote prices on a public forum only to say that DIY Appareos are available for a lot less than list price AND DIY labor is whatever you think your time is worth.

jw
Wish I could but I do software, not hardware. My wiring knowledge is limited to checking the continuity of a circuit and seeing if the batteries need replacing/charging.

If I wanted to know how to do everything concerning the airplane I'd be an A&P.

I did talk to the A&P who does the work on my airplane. He's unwilling to install the Appaero because he's more of airframe & powerplant, and admits he's weak in the electronics/wiring side. In fact he's looking for someone to work part-time who's expert in electronics/wiring, even better if the person is also an A&P. I introduced him to someone I think would be great (A&P as a bonus), waiting to see his decision, which will dictate my decision on the ADS-B.

You software guys keep telling us hardware guys that you can fix ANYTHING in software. :aureola:
I have no doubt...but we gotta have the hardware installed first. Then we can make it stand up, beg, roll,over, play dead. I'm really good at making software play dead.

(snorfle)

(I hate emoticons and emojis)

I have no doubt...but we gotta have the hardware installed first. Then we can make it stand up, beg, roll,over, play dead. I'm really good at making software play dead

That sort of sounds like doing it doggie style. He was sitting up begging and she was rolled over playing dead.

Jim

I'm getting ready to purchase an Appareo Stratus ESG transponder that provides GPS receiver, built in, plus GPS antenna. Hardware cost is $2995 and labor is $285 at a local Florida shop. I don't have a 430 or other GPS receiver in this plane so think this is a good solution to ADSB Out. I will use an IPad with Garmin Pilot software for the ADSB In.
What shop, in Fl are you going to use?
I just had the ESG installed @ Treasure Coast Avionics, Ft Pierce. Came in under quote & on time. Tell Cathy Capt Gary said thanks again.
Great system, no issues at all. Be sure to fly the required flight pattern, after the installation to get the 500 rebate. My check is on the way!

I would hold off on a decision for a couple of weeks to see how the Navworx AD plays out. I expect to see some FAA clarification on types of GPS devices used as position sources (for experimentals and certificated aircraft). As an example, some of the boxes mentioned in this thread use the Accord Technology GPS chip, same as Navworx, and that was a driver in the AD proposal. If Navworx survives, they may well have a very competitive and attractive offering.

I would hold off on a decision for a couple of weeks to see how the Navworx AD plays out. I expect to see some FAA clarification on types of GPS devices used as position sources (for experimentals and certificated aircraft). As an example, some of the boxes mentioned in this thread use the Accord Technology GPS chip, same as Navworx, and that was a driver in the AD proposal. If Navworx survives, they may well have a very competitive and attractive offering.
What do you think of the Unitronix Echo UAT? About the same price as Navworx or, if you already have a GPS, quite a bit less.
https://www.uavionix.com/products/echo-uat/

Back