GDL 90 and ADSB Mandate

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
does GDL 90 meets ADSB-Out mandate in 2020? the product page says its unknown back when it was released, but I cant find anything else

I am going to say it doesn't meet the requirements. They show it Dincontinued with this note: "Note: The FAA is expected to finalize requirements for ADS-B mandated compliance in mid May 2010. Until these regulations are published, it is unknown if the GDL 90 will meet the mandatory requirements for compliance in 2020."

Also, the say it is only compliant with TSO c154A and TSO c145A. Those have been replaced by the "B" versions for the 2020 mandate. It also does not show up on the FAA ADS-B equipment list at https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/equipment/

um.. yah, but I am looking at a plane that has the 90...
Simple answer, no it's not. IIRC, that box was originally designed to support the Alaska Capstone program and the first iteration of ADS-B 978 UAT. As to why it was never updated to the current TSO, I'm not really sure. I guess Garmin had already moved on.

Simple answer, no it's not. IIRC, that box was originally designed to support the Alaska Capstone program and the first iteration of ADS-B 978 UAT. As to why it was never updated to the current TSO, I'm not really sure. I guess Garmin had already moved on.
thanks... sigh

OP - Don't write off the plane for this. You've got a couple of years (minimum) to comply. And if someone invested in that box they may have spent on the rest of the avionics.

Perfection doesn't exist, outside of my opinion of myself. ;)

OP - Don't write off the plane for this. You've got a couple of years (minimum) to comply. And if someone invested in that box they may have spent on the rest of the avionics.

Perfection doesn't exist, outside of my opinion of myself. ;)
Nopes not writing it off at all. I will start another thread and ask for opinions for the bird I am looking at. Good avionics stack, but has damage history 20 yr back. This one was a test bed for avoinicd and Photo shoot for AOPA ASI, who got the plane after the damage and tan it for 15 yrs, guessing air safety institute would be concerned if it wasn't fixed properly

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back