Cool flight manual

Michael Denman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Denman
1956 Instructors Handbook predates FAA.

vpi5GLB.jpg

I've got a POH for a B-24 Liberator and all the flight manuals for a Boeing 727.

Not a one upper, just reminded that I have them.

Awesome! My brother scored this for me. Always enjoy vintage aviation.

Does it look mostly the same as newer ones?

I'm guessing you mean a E6B whiz wheel. The one I have for a B-17 is just a round one. It has more than one function but I don't remember all that it does right now.

It is packed away somewhere in a box as we are preparing to move across town hopefully sometime in the first week in May.

Here is a my Dad's Logbook, from 1947, his "Regulations for Pilots" and "Patter for elementary Flight Maneuvers" from 1943.
I used "Patter" as a reference when I started flying in 1964.
I still think it's one of the best manuals ever written.
DSCN1241Cropped.JPG DSCN1242Cropped.JPG

Some time ago, I was looking at a Boeing Stratocruiser Pilot's Manual. For takeoff procedure it said:

Takeoff..........Normal

Some time ago, I was looking at a Boeing Stratocruiser Pilot's Manual. For takeoff procedure it said:

Takeoff..........Normal

Now the approved Flight Manual is 500 pages and the non-approved Performance Manual is 500 pages too.

Thinking in terms of the classic tome "Stick and Rudder" that 1956 manual is probably every bit as good if not better than what we have today.

Takeoff..........Normal

A bit off topic, but I happened to be watching a documentary about Spitfires last night, and the old timers were telling about when the Spits were delivered to their aerodrome for training. They were basically told the basic V speeds by the guy that delivered it and told that they'd get a feel everything else once they get up in the air. Great training! These guys won the Battle of Britain going straight from 100 hp biplanes to as little as 9-10 hours in the first monoplane they'd ever seen, which happened to be over 1000 hp, without so much as a proper manual! Badasses.

A bit off topic, but I happened to be watching a documentary about Spitfires last night, and the old timers were telling about when the Spits were delivered to their aerodrome for training. They were basically told the basic V speeds by the guy that delivered it and told that they'd get a feel everything else once they get up in the air. Great training! These guys won the Battle of Britain going straight from 100 hp biplanes to as little as 9-10 hours in the first monoplane they'd ever seen, which happened to be over 1000 hp, without so much as a proper manual! Badasses.

The seat of your pants is sometimes the best instructor.

The ones that survived. Look up the WWII training fatal accident rates sometime. It's sobering. Poor kids.

Give me Operations,
Way out in some lonely atoll,
For I'm too young to die,
I just wanna grow old...

It's said that Hoover, when he was doing the test flights for aircraft that were uncrated, bolted together, and then handed to him to make sure nothing was wrong, had so many engine failures PER DAY, that it is one of the major reasons he became so good at energy management and landing airplanes exactly where he wanted to put them. Or he'd be dead.

Back